Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collecting dole, how late can you be?

• 15-07-2012 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I have never been on the dole before, but after waiting over two months since losing my job, my application for social welfare has been approved. I am to collect it from the nearest post office to my address tomorrow. However, I am outside of the county this weekend.

Does anyone know how late in the day I can collect it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You have a 3 day window - so until end of business on Wednesday for you (Mon/Tues/Wed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The money's usually kept for three days. But as this will be the first time you've drawn, it might be taken back sooner.

I'd explain the situation to Welfare tomorrow and see what they say.

No it won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Smashius_Clay

mike65 wrote: »
    No it won't!

Are you saying, no it won't be taken away until Wednesday? Is there a name for this so I can look it up? Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

I have never been on the dole before, but after waiting over two months since losing my job, my application for social welfare has been approved. I am to collect it from the nearest post office to my address tomorrow. However, I am outside of the county this weekend.

Does anyone know how late in the day I can collect it?
    one is too busy sunning oneself in hotter climes :D .....any chance you would trot down to the post office ,and collect ones dosh,now theres a good chap!:pac:
    Tsk..Tsk...why dont they just deliver it,and do away with all this "collecting" malarky:pac: O pleaseeeeeeeeeeee let me back to my ouzo...........:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Weylin wrote: »
    one is too busy sunning oneself in hotter climes :D .....any chance you would trot down to the post office ,and collect ones dosh,now theres a good chap!:pac:
    Tsk..Tsk...why dont they just deliver it,and do away with all this "collecting" malarky:pac: O pleaseeeeeeeeeeee let me back to my ouzo...........:pac:

Thank you and goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

So if you are late by 3 days they take it back...what happens the following week? Do they stop giving it to you altogether or just that weeks payment? Do you get the dole the following week as normal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Irishoz wrote: »
    So if you are late by 3 days they take it back...what happens the following week? Do they stop giving it to you altogether or just that weeks payment? Do you get the dole the following week as normal?

I always went down to them and explained it. Usually you just need to say something like you forgot or something. Honestly they don't ask too much into it.

I don't know if you have to go down but I would, just to err on the side of caution. It's usually give to you on your next payment, so if you skip one week (please don't miss it too often though) by mistake or what have you, then you go down and say what happened, next payment you'll get the week's you missed and the payment you should get on the day. So a double week.

You will get it (subject to a questioning I would suggest) but how long you'd have to wait for the payment for that week is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Smashius_Clay

mike65 wrote: »
    You have a 3 day window - so until end of business on Wednesday for you (Mon/Tues/Wed).

How late in the day, as in, if I am there for 3pm will I be able to collect it? I will be able to get there, but it might not be till the afternoon.

• Advertisement

Until the Post Office closes! look up your local PO here

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/at+your+local+Post+Office.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7 caramelita

If the collection day is Friday, can it be collected the following Monday? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

You must collect it before 5pm.after that the post office won't pay out dole.happened to me once....gerrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

caramelita wrote: »
    If the collection day is Friday, can it be collected the following Monday? Thanks!

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 caramelita

Cheers. I found out at the post office when your collection day is Friday they keep the payment until Tuesday. Thank you all the same!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

Just want to point out if you miss collecting your payment, they payment gets returned to the SW and it then takes 3 weeks to be returned to the post office again for you to collect, although you will still be able to collect payments in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 need-it

Can I jump on the band-wagon and ask here please....
    My collection date is Tuesday, but I have interviews the other side of the country next Tuesday & Wednesday. Is it possible to collect on the Thursday?

I know people say there is a 3 day window, but I know you can collect a day early, so not sure if that counts as a day.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

On a Tuesday payday you have up to Thursday close of business.
    Depending on your post office some of them pay out JA on the Monday but this is not then counted as part of the three days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ShelTomato wrote: »
    Just want to point out if you miss collecting your payment, they payment gets returned to the SW and it then takes 3 weeks to be returned to the post office again for you to collect, although you will still be able to collect payments in the meantime.

3 weeks isn't a rule though.

If you miss the payment just head the SW office to explain yourself, the officer goes to their supervisor who rings up HQ in Busaras to confirm it was never issued and then they can write you a docket there and then.

They will tell you which post office to go to, mightn't be your local PO and you go there and cash it

That's my experience anyway.
    You're likely to get a bollocking from the officer but then you are causing extra work for them. Just say confused over dates when they want a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

need-it wrote: »
    Can I jump on the band-wagon and ask here please....
    My collection date is Tuesday, but I have interviews the other side of the country next Tuesday & Wednesday. Is it possible to collect on the Thursday?

I know people say there is a 3 day window, but I know you can collect a day early, so not sure if that counts as a day.

Thank you

I've never heard of them paying out early or a 3 day window

i thought payments stayed for 7 days - and i have actually done this.

so in your case the payment for Tue. 19th could be collected until Mon. 25th

every PO must be different, you should go in & ask them or ask in your SWO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

mikemac1 wrote: »
    3 weeks isn't a rule though.

If you miss the payment just head the SW office to explain yourself, the officer goes to their supervisor who rings up HQ in Busaras to confirm it was never issued and then they can write you a docket there and then.

They will tell you which post office to go to, mightn't be your local PO and you go there and cash it

That's my experience anyway.
    You're likely to get a bollocking from the officer but then you are causing extra work for them. Just say confused over dates when they want a reason.

Happened with mine, when I moved from Dublin to Carlow I changed my claim over to here and collected without incident for a few weeks then one week there was no money for me in the PO, went to the SW office and they said they had mistakenly paid the money into my old PO branch in Dublin instead of the new Carlow branch and that I would have to wait 3 weeks for it to be returned and reissued and there was nothing that they could do about it :( I explained to them I couldn't get through the week with no money and they just said "Well go talk to Community Welfare Officer and see if they will help". Maybe I just caught someone in an unhelpful mood! :o

Advertisement