Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Ant-Man

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First footage.

Ant sized teaser trailer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Someone's blown up that teaser footage and enhanced it a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5le9sYdYkM
    Apologies to anyone that doesn't get the reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I think these movies are going to be the ones where Marvel push the genre too far.

TBH, I think they did this with GotG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

What does too far mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

As in people are waiting for marvel to fail basiclly , I think this will be pretty good

Human sized teaser.

Trailer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

I like Paul Rudd, but I'm sick of all these super hero films.
    Give us something original ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While I'm still looking forward to seeing it, that film in that trailer might as well have been called 'Marvel: The Film'. Bland, helicopter views, centred camera shots and the 'silence.....then a gag' moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Having watched the trailer, this is the first Marvel film I'm not bothered about. Seems very generic, which after Winter Soldier and GOTG is a massive step backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

I like Paul Rudd, but I'm sick of all these super hero films.
    Give us something original ffs.

There's been plenty of original films over the last year, if you don't like superhero films don't go to see them.

Back OT, that teaser did absolutely nothing for me. Marvel fans will still go to see it but I can't imagine that trailer generating any significant interest among the wider cinema going audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I like it. I wasn't blown away by it but I actually like that. Marvel having been ramping up the action & stakes in each successive movie in the MCU. This looks like it will take a bit of a step back from that which will be nice for a change.

Bacchus wrote: »
    I like it. I wasn't blown away by it but I actually like that. Marvel having been ramping up the action & stakes in each successive movie in the MCU. This looks like it will take a bit of a step back from that which will be nice for a change.

I agree with this. However, I'm an avid comic reader. I think while the trailer looks great, it won't draw a big non-comic fan crowd, or at least not as big as it could. When most people think of Paul Rudd, they think comedy so the first thing a lot of people will think is "This doesn't look that funny," which, while disappointing, is understandable at this stage. I'm really excited for this film and I think it'll be an all-rounder but I reckon if the trailer had focussed more on fun than the dramatic aspects, it would generate more buzz. However it's still early days and there'll probably be a couple of more trailers coming. Super glad it's not a massive "ZOMG the world is gonna end!!!" trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

When most people think of Paul Rudd, they think comedy

"Most people" have never heard of Paul Rudd, this'll just be another Marvel movie to them.

Which is exactly why Marvel take less risks than many people would like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Felt like I was watching a superhero trailer made by Fox or Sony; looked bland, uninteresting and flat.

Guardians of the Galaxy was the film many were predicting as the alienating flop, but once the trailer landed it was clear it had a brio and energy that made it stand from the crowd, openly embracing being the dark horse and ran with it, offbeat humour, retro soundtrack n' all.

That first Ant-Man trailer makes the film look as dull as dishwater and without an ounce of personality. Anyone thinking the Marvel films have been increasingly turning into rote exercises will find plenty of evidence on the basis of that trailer, and it certainly does little to convince anyone (including myself) who thought sacking Edgar Wright was a good idea.

"Most people" have never heard of Paul Rudd, this'll just be another Marvel movie to them.

Which is exactly why Marvel take less risks than many people would like.

People very obviously know who Paul Rudd is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

People very obviously know who Paul Rudd is.

i thought that about paul mc cartney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

folan wrote: »
    i thought that about paul mc cartney

Edgar Wright is delighted I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Edgar Wright is delighted I'd say

This. It's a safe trailer. There's nothing bad about it, but I would've loved to have seen Wright get his hands on a Marvel movie. It reminded me of Thor and Captain America trailers, which is a good thing for Marvel to keep a theme or style in tact, but given the success of GOTG which was a little more out there I would've thought this would be the franchise to continue the fun theme with, which I think Wright would've delivered.

I'll still go see it though.

• Advertisement

Watch it without sound and it looks like something that a college student would put together

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given the director, this film is almost guaranteed to be serviceable at very best, and even that's something of an outside chance.

Assuming that is the case, I hope this is a box office catastrophe, if only to teach Marvel a lesson that they need to start stretching themselves creatively. That's not going to happen, but hey whatever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

I agree with this. However, I'm an avid comic reader. I think while the trailer looks great, it won't draw a big non-comic fan crowd, or at least not as big as it could. When most people think of Paul Rudd, they think comedy so the first thing a lot of people will think is "This doesn't look that funny," which, while disappointing, is understandable at this stage. I'm really excited for this film and I think it'll be an all-rounder but I reckon if the trailer had focussed more on fun than the dramatic aspects, it would generate more buzz. However it's still early days and there'll probably be a couple of more trailers coming. Super glad it's not a massive "ZOMG the world is gonna end!!!" trailer.

I was hoping they would they where going with Warren ellis take on ant man, and the casting and original director where kinda pointing that way, I guess part could still be incorporated and it might be more sarcastic then the trailer makes it out to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This. It's a safe trailer. There's nothing bad about it, but I would've loved to have seen Wright get his hands on a Marvel movie. It reminded me of Thor and Captain America trailers, which is a good thing for Marvel to keep a theme or style in tact, but given the success of GOTG which was a little more out there I would've thought this would be the franchise to continue the fun theme with, which I think Wright would've delivered.

I'll still go see it though.

But if you have reservations, why resign yourself to seeing it? I think the departure of Wright was a bad move by Marvel and one that made a very clear signal about their (earth based?) movie franchises and how their mythological vision took priority over any sense of creativity or individuality.

As ever, it's one trailer, and subsequent info / detail may yet make this an enticing prospect (to be fair, there was at least one Guardians... trailer that completely misrepresented the tone of the final release), but this production just screams "film any crap on autopilot, they'll lap it up anyway".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

looked fine to me.

i really liked the shot of the ant riding and indeed the suit itself and the general look of the world they went for.

TBH its nice to see a flim where its not all ships crashing into cities and the end of the world. in fact looking at that trailer ya get sod all of a notion of what the story is gonna be about at all which at this teaser stage is a good thing.

particularly liked the reference to how naff the name is. im a fan of comics so it doesnt bother me but its patently obvious its dumb as fuk to joe soap cinema goer. if you were coming up with the concept from scratch you wouldnt pick "ant man" as a name to save your life.

the feeling i get from the trailer is Rudd will be playing this sardonically with a dash of awe on what the visuals will provide while douglas will be the straight man.

i suppose the best thing i can say about it though is i will actually go see this now whereas when it was first mooted my immediate reaction was "WTF ant man? surely theres better characters ya can do first".

it could be something lovely, particularly if they play up the view of the world from ant size creatively (and looking at how gorgeous space was in GOTG i reckon thats a safe bet)

ill have to see the next few trailers to get a better feel. i remember when GOTG came out and one of its trailers was a right sombre mess that didnt convey what you'd get at all so once im sure what kind of a mood theyre setting i'll be able to make a better judgement on it.

still nice start.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

pixelburp wrote: »
    But if you have reservations, why resign yourself to seeing it? I think the departure of Wright was a bad move by Marvel and one that made a very clear signal about their (earth based?) movie franchises and how their mythological vision took priority over any sense of creativity or individuality.

As ever, it's one trailer, and subsequent info / detail may yet make this an enticing prospect (to be fair, there was at least one Guardians... trailer that completely misrepresented the tone of the final release), but this production just screams "film any crap on autopilot, they'll lap it up anyway".

I'm a fan of the Marvel universe and this film is within that universe. I was initially skeptical on Thor, but that proved to be a good addition to the overall Marvel story-arc. It's not clear as to whether or not Ant-Man will be a good movie yet, but I do expect it to further develop Marvel's second phase. As you said, it's one trailer, so I'll reserve judgement until more trailers are released and ultimately until I see the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The character bits looked kind of interesting, but I thought the action looked a little naff. Not super-enthused, and I think Edgar Wright's shadow is going to loom large over it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The character bits looked kind of interesting, but I thought the action looked a little naff. Not super-enthused, and I think Edgar Wright's shadow is going to loom large over it...

True but this film needs to be seen and considered for what it is and not for what it could've been. Unfortunately I don't think any critic will be able to review it without mentioning Wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

oh this was only a teaser trailer :/

• Advertisement

FunLover18 wrote: »
    True but this film needs to be seen and considered for what it is and not for what it could've been. Unfortunately I don't think any critic will be able to review it without mentioning Wright.

Rightly so to be honest, it was pretty much his baby. I'm not so sure an Ant-Man film would even be made at this point in time if it wasn't for him. I mean, I'm sure it'll turn out an ok, decent film, which, considering the director, will be doing well, but that tinge of what could have been with Wright will always be there.

Corholio wrote:
    Rightly so to be honest, it was pretty much his baby. I'm not so sure an Ant-Man film would even be made at this point in time if it wasn't for him. I mean, I'm sure it'll turn out an ok, decent film, which, considering the director, will be doing well, but that tinge of what could have been with Wright will always be there.

I think it's extremely unfair to the people involved in making the film to compare it to a film that was never made for whatever reasons. It may have been Wright's baby to start off with but it's not anymore. Unless it's obvious that the script and story have been tinkered with I dont see any need to mention what Wright coild have done.

The one thing that stood out to me in the trailer is that this is the first time we'll see Marvel heroes (both Pym and Lang) who are parents which would add an interesting twist.

I hope this is a box office catastrophe,

Stuff like this gets on my nerves, Why on earth would anyone hope any movie is a catastrophe ???

Like obviously not every movie on the planet isn't going to suit everyone's cinema going needs , But even so why would ya wish that on anyone , Alot of people's livleyhoods and careers rely on these kind of films doing well, That's withouth even mentioning the people working on it , and i'm not talking about people like Kevin Feige and the actors i'm talking about the people behind the scenes, camera crew etc , to hope anyone's hard work fails (unless there hitler) is a ridiculous statement ,

Now OT the trailer didn't blow me away , But Antman itself is not a massive character (pardon the pun) so i think this is going to be a very diffrent movie towards the likes of GOTG and Avengers which have massive casts of multiple heroes , This is going to be a very character based movie , and in watching GOTG , Avengers ,X Men we have been spoiled lately so it'll be good to get back to a movie focusing on one hero, I think that maybe explains the underwhelming nature of the trailer

The cast has alot of potential from Paul Rudd who i'm interested to see how he does outside of his comfort zone which is usually comedies and you know Douglas is going to chew the scenery as the dickish Hank Pym. I'for one am really looking forward to this one anyway

What chance does this movie have when you get bored by the trailer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Oh god, looks a bit like something you find on SyFy at 2am! Hopefully it'll be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

That trailer left me cold right until the Thomas the Tank Engine moment, at which point I laughed out loud. There were enough moments of humour to make me continue to wonder what the tone of the final film will be. The trailer makes it seem very straight-faced and worthy, not to mention dull, but that final moment, plus a few one-liners, seem to suggest a more comedic take. I hope so, because it still seems far too goofy a concept to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Looks fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

The literal hype train at the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I just spent most of that trailer thinking Evangeline Lilly was Jessica Biel. I had to check the credits to be sure. I never noticed the resemblance before.

My girlfriend thought she was your one from 50 shades of grey at 1st, this looks awesome though

• Advertisement

Happy with that. I'll watch Paul Rudd in pretty much anything though, very likeable screen presence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Is it wrong I keep forgetting this is coming out in about 3 months? Obviously a bit early for the big marketing push but the release keeps creeping up.

And calling that train scene as best of the year, doubt it will be topped soon.

More abd more excited for this. I like Paul Rudd in pretty much everything but he's perfect for Scott Lang imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Looks like a laugh, can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The beats in that trailer are superhero movie 101. Great train gag. I'll still see it because of my man love for Paul Rudd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Looks like good entertainment, Paul Rudd does well in the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if they have superhuman strength when mini, why the feck would a toy train be of any issue to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

if they have superhuman strength when mini, why the feck would a toy train be of any issue to them?

Obscure the vision or maybe he's a toy train collector.

Looks good, without saying pretty much anything of the plot. Interesting to see they included Wright's initial sample trailer idea with the gun. Will be interesting to see if Reed can put together an entire decent film, something imo he's yet to do at all.

The whole trailer form is really old at this stage though, and with Marvel churning out the films it's even more apparent in theirs. So many common shots now these days - 2 people talking with background music..music stops.. someone says something funny, bad guy says something evil....good guy says something slightly humorous in return etc etc.

Looking forward to seeing it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Corholio wrote: »
    Looks good, without saying pretty much anything of the plot. Interesting to see they included Wright's initial sample trailer idea with the gun. Will be interesting to see if Reed can put together an entire decent film, something imo he's yet to do at all.

The whole trailer form is really old at this stage though, and with Marvel churning out the films it's even more apparent in theirs. So many common shots now these days - 2 people talking with background music..music stops.. someone says something funny, bad guy says something evil....good guy says something slightly humorous in return etc etc.

Looking forward to seeing it though.

I agree but don't think it's really that big of a deal with the strength marvel have built just by having their name attached to something. For a lot of people, just seeing the name is incentive enough to watch it. They probably see it as a 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' scenario. It would be nice to have a change in trailers but the average person doesn't really care that much to read into the trailers. They'll automatically just put them into a "will watch" or "will not watch" category.

Also, this is coming out 2-3 months after AOU so the hype from that will just be calming down before fans are already hyped for more of the MCU. Pretty crazy to think about what marvel have actually created here with the MCU between the movies and TV shows that can all crossover at any time. Doing so makes fans of one feel the need to also watch the other to get the full picture. For example, Daredevil was the first marvel show I've watched but now I don't just want to watch the followup shows, I feel compelled to.

It's basically a given that AOU will beat Avenger's in the box office I think, but I can't stop wondering if it'll beat the new Star Wars movie as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement