Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Ant-Man

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Poor Antony
    !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just back from it now and to be honest I had a smile on my face the whole through it , If it's similar to any Marvel Movie I'd say its really similar to the 1st Iron Man movie in that its very self contained bar one scene which is really good and not out of place as others have mentioned

Good performances throughout from all the actors and a really good villain too with good motivations aswell (which can be lacking from alot of marvel films) Michael Douglas captured Hank Pym perfectly aswell couldn't see anyone else playing him now , Spot on casting , same goes for Paul Rudd who I had my doubts about
    The fight with Falcon is excellent and really took me by surprise as i'd heard nothing about it going in , Great to see Wasp's story told in it aswell was really a sad moment in the movie , The final battle was brilliantly done aswell different again to any marvel movie so far (no world ending battles) and two really good after credits scenes (great that we'll be getting a version of wasp going forward)
    And yeah the ants were fantastic aswell felt so sorry for Anthony too

Roll on Civil War

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Great movie, looks like it'll add a lot to the MCU!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Good movie, worth seeing in the cinema whether you're a fan of the MCU or not. No point saying much else really lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Saw it tonight on IMAX 3D. Was Awesome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Not the best Marvel film many have been sprouting but certainly a very good addition to the canon, everyone involved put in great performances especially Rudd. The action scenes were a lot of fun and the comedy hit's the mark. It didn't outstay it's welcome but still I wished Edgar Wright directed this cause I think it could have been even better (
    You can tell some bit's that were obviously from Wright version, Pena telling the stories about how he found out about robbing Douglas House, is so Wright
    ). The Villain was fine nothing groundbreaking, Marvel need to start producing more memorable villains as it's their weakest point (aside fro Loki).
    Loved the cameo from Anthony Mackie as Falcon, and the fight scene outside the Avengers headquarters was a lot of fun. And the Civil War Easter Egg at the end with the Winter solider and Captain America gets me excited for the next Marvel film
    . Plus I got to say Evangeline Lilly was without doubt the hottest Marvel female lead for me so far and the most interesting. Anyway it's better then Age of Ultron, I put it in Top 5 but still think GOTG, CAWS, Avengers and Iron Man are better overall but Ant Man is grade A Marvel.

Although it's a shame it's not doing great business in America, it supposedly the second lowest opening for a Marvel film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This was great, and it just flew by. The lack of world-endangering threat really benfitted this film with the final face-off between AntMan and YJ being the one of the most entertaining Marvel climaxes in recent years. It's not perfect and there were the plot has holes but I enjoyed this a lot more than AoU. I think it definitely goes into my top 5 Marvel films.

When are we allowed discuss spoilers without spoiler tagging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I went to see this with an open mind, but I still felt it was, for the most part, quite dull. Paul Rudd is a good comedic actor, but he was given little to do here that was funny. Still, what few chuckles there were were more attributable to him that his lazy, stereotyped side-kicks: the motormouth Latino, 'cool' black guy and Russian (by way of North America) who, despite residing in San Francisco for what must be years, still hasn't mastered how to use articles in his sentences.

The 'in jokes' that I noticed were corny as hell: lines like “we're still working out a few bugs”, “it was only a tall tale”. One character even whistles “It's a Small World After All”.

I'm surprised Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish were credited so prominently at the end. This had none of the creativity of Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz, or even Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, though I guess, as someone said about, the character played by Michael Peña whose dialogue heavy stories are accompanied by rapid-fire montages is very Wright-esque.

I can't imagine remember much of this film in six months time.

As with the cluttered, uninteresting Avengers: Age of Ultron, the popularity of Marvel, once again, completely baffles me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

cloud493 wrote: »
    in terms of MCU stuff, Falcon's inclusion felt a bit forced, in that he plays literally no part in the story other than that, but otherwise, cool.
    The post credit scene wouldn't make much sense without it. The fight helps place this film in the Marvel cinematic universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Went to see this last night

Must say, its very enjoyable some of the visual jokes are brilliant aka Thomas the tank engine.

Its a good way to spend a few hours, its a real change of pace compared to the other movies in the universe. Paul Rudd was perfect in the role, Michael Douglas and Evangaline Lilly were great too.

I would give this film a respectable 8/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

There was one special effect right at the start that blew me away.
    The bit where Michael Douglas genuinely looked 30 years younger in the flashback. I was trying to spot weaknesses in it but it looked flawless. Could be down to the 3D glasses masking something but whatever computer trickery or gypsy magic I was very impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The fact that the final battle takes place
    in a child's bedroom
    is such a major change for Marvel, especially when their third acts usually consist of city-wide destruction and massive aircraft falling from the sky. Definitely a positive development.

I enjoyed Ant-man a lot more than Avengers 2. Rudd, Douglas and Pena were all great. My problem was the villain who had paper-thin character development, and the first 20 minutes or so were a little slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I thought it was great. I wasn't one who was complaining about the last few movies but even so I appreciated the change of pace/scale. Loved the tie ins with the rest of the universe
    I wonder will we see a young Pym pop up in this season of Agent Carter
    . The second post credit scene really amps up the excitement for Civil War and we even got a mention of
    Spidey, though they're claiming it was going to be there even without the deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Hrududu wrote: »
    There was one special effect right at the start that blew me away.
    The bit where Michael Douglas genuinely looked 30 years younger in the flashback. I was trying to spot weaknesses in it but it looked flawless. Could be down to the 3D glasses masking something but whatever computer trickery or gypsy magic I was very impressed.
    Clearly the team behind Tron 2, were involved with this one. I was impressed as well, although one thing though,
    I didn't think they aged Peggy enough for late 1989, I'd expect Peggy to look like that in or around the late 60s or early 70s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Far more enjoyable and better done than AoU.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thought it was pretty good, very funny in parts and the smaller scale (no pun intended) was a nice change of pace from the last crop of Marvel movies. Thought it was very clunky in places though and very predictable, none of the beats were really surprisning, like
    the tank keychain (though it was a good gag) or during the final fight the unnecessary exposition seemed a bit grating, Yellow Jacket exclaiming "Ha Ha it's Titanium you fool, you know just like that ICBM in the flashback that didn't foreshadow this at all!!" and Scott says to himself "Oh no, I'll have to go sub atomic just like Pym's wife did in that flashback that didn't foreshadow this at all" as if the audience didn't know straight away when Pym told the story in the first place that that was going to happen...

Also
    RIP Anthony, that was a bummer. Brought back painful memories of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    :(

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thought it was pretty good, very funny in parts and the smaller scale (no pun intended) was a nice change of pace from the last crop of Marvel movies. Thought it was very clunky in places though and very predictable, none of the beats were really surprisning, like
    the tank keychain (though it was a good gag) or during the final fight the unnecessary exposition seemed a bit grating, Yellow Jacket exclaiming "Ha Ha it's Titanium you fool, you know just like that ICBM in the flashback that didn't foreshadow this at all!!" and Scott says to himself "Oh no, I'll have to go sub atomic just like Pym's wife did in that flashback that didn't foreshadow this at all" as if the audience didn't know straight away when Pym told the story in the first place that that was going to happen...

Also
    RIP Anthony, that was a bummer. Brought back painful memories of Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    :(
    RIP indeed :(

They didn't explicitly show Antony's death, at least I don't think so, but only his wing falling to the ground so maybe his wing was only shot off and they'll give him a metal wing lmao

They didn't explicitly show Antony's death, at least I don't think so, but only his wing falling to the ground so maybe his wing was only shot off and they'll give him a metal wing lmao
    He was shot! No ant is going to survive that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Damnit, I left after the mid credit sting.
    What did I miss in the Civil War one?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

hardCopy wrote: »
    Damnit, I left after the mid credit sting.
    What did I miss in the Civil War one?

Nothing really,
    It had Falcon and Cap finding Bucky stuck in some sort of vice I think, they needed help with him but didn't want to ask Stark (presumably because of the registration act or soemthing) and Falcon says they don't need Stark as he knows a guy (Ant-Man I'm guessing).
    Really you were better off just leaving when you did.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    He was shot! No ant is going to survive that.

Bet you're a hoot at parties

Nothing really,
    It had Falcon and Cap finding Bucky stuck in some sort of vice I think, they needed help with him but didn't want to ask Stark (presumably because of the registration act or soemthing) and Falcon says they don't need Stark as he knows a guy (Ant-Man I'm guessing).

This, disappointing really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Looper007 wrote: »
    It didn't outstay it's welcome but still I wished Edgar Wright directed this cause I think it could have been even better (
    You can tell some bit's that were obviously from Wright version, Pena telling the stories about how he found out about robbing Douglas House, is so Wright
    ).

I thought that was obviously from Wright's version too but it actually wasn't written by him.
    "That was something that never existed in the original drafts", Reed confirmed
    from Den of Geek. Warning, that page has loads of spoilers.

Nothing really,

Much better than the majority of the Marvel post credit scenes.
    Actual footage from Civil War that sets up the timeline of where this movie took place.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Much better than the majority of the Marvel post credit scenes.
    Actual footage from Civil War that sets up the timeline of where this movie took place.

Tbf the timeline was pretty obvious from Falcons
    earlier appearance in the film
    I quite liked seeing Bucky again mind. But I wouldnt go to OTT with its praise.

• Advertisement

Tbf the timeline was pretty obvious from Falcons
    earlier appearance in the film
    I quite liked seeing Bucky again mind. But I wouldnt go to OTT with its praise.
    Obviously it’s clear from seeing Falcon and the new base that it’s after AOU but I meant more that the ‘accord’ is happening in parallel with the Ant-Man movie, with Bucky being capturing about the same time as the end (neither of which we have a feel for from the earlier cameo). The accord could have something to do with why the Avengers base appears deserted compared to the end of AOU, where it’s a hive of activity. Without the post credit we'd have no feeling that things were moving forward at a fast pace in the rest of the MCU

Can you list a couple of other post credit scenes that gave as much info?

Bet you're a hoot at parties

Bet you're a hoot at funerals :P

I just thought it was a fun Summer movie, just as GOTG was. This for me is what Marvel is best at making.

The Empire spoiler podcast is up for people who are interested and yes I'm aware they're very bias towards Marvel but it is very interesting.

According to Reed the bits where Pena is telling the stories was actually not part of Wright's original draft but was added in. The interviewer even pointed out how it does seem very Wright-esque.

Also the end credit tag is a scene taken directly from
    Civil War

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see it with the bro in 2d .

i thought it was great craic.

solid 8/10.

theres some really nice ideas in it. particularly in relation to the size changeing discs and what could be done with em in future films. whilst its a great comedy/heist film i came away thinking you could do a really good espionage film with ant man. i was a bit wary about the "new" avengers that were gonna be set up for civil war etc but i can happily see ant man fitting right in with the vision and co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really enjoyed a lot.

A nice change of pace compared to the most of the MCU films.

I liked the hint at
    Spiderman when Falcon was looking for Ant-Man in Pena's story at the end and the girl told him we have guys now who can jump swing and climb up walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Bet that
    the scene will come up in the first proper trailer for civil war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Unfortunately this has underperformed, it had the worst opening weekend for Marvel since TIH.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141635-Ant-Man-Misses-Opening-Weekend-Earning-Projections

It's a real shame as there's a lot to admire and as with others, I found it to be one of Marvel's stronger offerings.

I kind of had a feeling it would happen though. I've seen Jurassic World, Terminator Genisys and this at weekend peak times and Ant Man by far had the smallest crowd. Place was nearly empty tbh.

I'd say it'll pick up once word of mouth spreads that it's quite decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seen it last night, really enjoyed it TBH. Its one of my favourite offerings from Marvel.

As it eludes to in the film it makes a change from the usual Marvel 3rd act of Ships/Cities falling on things.

Dougas is a good Pym and Rudd as Lang is a good call, I like Rudd but had my doubts about him in the Marvel universe but its worked well IMO.

It has a lower budget than the usual Marvel movies, I wouldn't think it's doing much worse than it was expected to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

flazio wrote: »
    I'd say it'll pick up once word of mouth spreads that it's quite decent.

This!

Id say it will be a slow burner as the level of marketing wasnt there compared to other MCU films.

I really enjoyed this movie I have to say! It shall be interesting to see how they plug the main characters into the wider system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it. As much as I enjoyed the rest of the MCU so far, there is always parts of the movies where I 'switch off', but I never did with Ant-Man.

I thought Rudd, Douglas and Evangeline Lilly were excellent, and in a very funny film Michael Pena stole the biggest laughs. I also loved the scene
    with Falcon at the new Avengers facility.

It's up there with GotG for me and Iron Man 1 for me. It was a Tuesday night I know, but there was only about 10-12 people at the screening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Feels like half of two different movies. One being a fun action-comedy with some visual inventiveness and a neat premise, the other being another drab Marvel formula movie. Didn't need even half the exposition and franchise tie-ins.

Enjoyed it overall but it's comparable to Guardians of the Galaxy in how it takes what could have been a really unique and exciting piece of work and essentially reigns it in in an all too safe way. Decent movie, but I worry that "Yeahhhh, pretty good." is the best we're ever gonna get from Marvel. I so want to love these movies. :(

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    Feels like half of two different movies. One being a fun action-comedy with some visual inventiveness and a neat premise, the other being another drab Marvel formula movie. Didn't need even half the exposition and franchise tie-ins.

Enjoyed it overall but it's comparable to Guardians of the Galaxy in how it takes what could have been a really unique and exciting piece of work and essentially reigns it in in an all too safe way. Decent movie, but I worry that "Yeahhhh, pretty good." is the best we're ever gonna get from Marvel. I so want to love these movies. :(

I thought the few tie ins in this felt reasonably organic.

Stuff like that just takes me right out of the movie in a "Look, it's that guy from that other movie we made!" way tbh. But I do realize that mileage may vary from viewer to viewer. The novelty for me wore off halfway through the first Avengers.

In theory I find this idea of characters in different movies crossing paths really interesting but I think too often it's done in a pandering way that actively detracts from what makes each film stand out otherwise. In the case of Ant-Man seeing
    Falcon
    wasn't really a major annoyance, it was more the feeling of "oh we're back in Marvel Universe territory now" after it felt like the film was starting to grow (ahem :pac: ) out of its restrictive boundaries. Although I think when Guardians of the Galaxy slowed down to have tedious expository scenes of the boring and humorless villains explaining infinity crystals to each other was an even bigger issue.

I think that we weren't able to see Edgar Wright's full vision speaks to the problems of the MCU template tbh. I'm looking forward to what DC does and am hoping they'll give their own directors room to breathe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Definitly definitly worth a watch, so much better than the trailer depicts imho, kinda reminds me of Iron Man without the cash :P:pac:

Have seen it twice already, definitly surprised me in a good way, will be going to see the 2nd one alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Went to this last night. I'm not fully sure how I feel about it. As much as I enjoyed it there is the feeling that it could have been even better if it weren't for the messing around with directors. While most of the movie is great entertainment, it did fall flat in a few places, particularly around the middle section. The whole thing didn't quite flow seamlessly and a few things took me out of the movie such as the constant lingering shot of the tank key-ring (I wonder what that's all about... wink wink :rolleyes:) and the perils of going sub atomic. It was just a little too spoon-fed for a movie that otherwise rose above other Marvel movies. It also didn't really sell me on WHY Scott was so crucial to the plan and why he was the only man for the job.

I think the biggest issue was the villain (again Marvel!!), he just wasn't very convincing or interesting. The back story of the arms race and the link to
    Hydra
    seemed unnecessary and it probably would have been better if they just focused on Cross being a mad scientist who was being affected by the Pym Particle. Instead, we had things like the lamb testing, which should have been darkly funny (something Wright was probably going for) coming off as Saturday morning cartoon evil. We didn't get to see Cross slide into his full on mad scientist state which would have helped develop him a bit more.

That's the not so good out of the way. What the movie did wonderfully was to create a rather unique visual style. The scenes with Ant-Man shrunk down were creative, fun and looked great. The initial Ant-Man experience, the
    fight with Falcon
    , the briefcase fight and the final fight were just plain fun, simultaneously offering great visual gags and action. I'm really looking forward to what else they can do with Ant-Man in solo and Avenger movies.

The best thing I can say about this is that the 3rd act showdown was probably one of the best Marvel have put out so far. No cities falling from the sky, no alien invasion or city wide destruction. It was a grudge fight between two guys in suits in a very unique setting that was equal parts hilarious and thrilling.

I really enjoyed the opening, non-super powered, half hour too with Scott trying to get his life together after prison and the backstory to Ant-Man in the 80s. It was just the middle that had a few stretches where I was conscious of it dragging a bit.

The cast were all great. Scott, Hank & Hope were perfect in their roles and add a bit of star power to the MCU with the likes of Downey Jnr & Evans running out of movies on their contracts. The guy from House of Cards that played Cross was decent but as I said above, I think the character was mishandled to squeeze in a reference to
    Hydra
    . Pena was great as the comic relief side-kick. The other two were wanna-be Ocean's 11 characters and were probably the weakest part of the casting.

Bacchus wrote: »
    The best thing I can say about this is that the 3rd act showdown was probably one of the best Marvel have put out so far. No cities falling from the sky, no alien invasion or city wide destruction. It was a grudge fight between two guys in suits in a very unique setting that was equal parts hilarious and thrilling.
    Agreed, loved the cheeky use of this brilliant song too:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

seen it last night, wasnt overly impressed to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I really hope that was a deliberate Zoolander reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Wondering if somebody could clear up an issue I have regarding the villain (spoilers as a warning)
    At one point Pym suggests the use of Pym Particles can effect the users mental state hence why he stopped using it. It's implied at certain points that Cross is unhinged possibly from exposure to the particles himself, particularly when he orders Pym to be shot then when he's reasoned with he grabs the gun and goes to do it himself...however he only perfected his version of Pym Particles recently and possibly only uses it for the first time in the helicopter scene. How are we to believe this is the reason for Cross going mad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Brow wrote: »
    Wondering if somebody could clear up an issue I have regarding the villain (spoilers as a warning)
    At one point Pym suggests the use of Pym Particles can effect the users mental state hence why he stopped using it. It's implied at certain points that Cross is unhinged possibly from exposure to the particles himself, particularly when he orders Pym to be shot then when he's reasoned with he grabs the gun and goes to do it himself...however he only perfected his version of Pym Particles recently and possibly only uses it for the first time in the helicopter scene. How are we to believe this is the reason for Cross going mad?

This is a problem I had too with Cross and had me thinking "hang on a sec" during that scene you mention. This is why I think the focus with Cross should have been not on the shady arms dealings but on his own personal mission to be better than Pym. It could be assumed that a few days had passed when he could have been doing human trials on himself but it's never shown so it is a bit of a plot hole.

Advertisement