Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling health insurance

Options
  • 15-07-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am with VHI and my premium is not due to expire until the end of Dec. This is payed by a direct debit transation from my wages at work. I was wondering how would I go about cancelling. Do I just write a letter to them and also is there a get out cost aswell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If you cancel before the ennd you may end up paying a penalty. Call them first and check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

cookie1977 wrote: »
    If you cancel before the ennd you may end up paying a penalty. Call them first and check.
    You Will have to pay the balance for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're paying by salary deduction then you really should talk to the people in your company HR department. For example, if you want to switch to one of the other insurers and pay the premium through the payroll, you may find that the folks in HR will tell you that you can only switch at renewal time i.e. next December. It's probably the case that they will not facilitate people switching in the middle of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I think if you're loosing or changing jobs they may not apply the penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I think you only have to pay €50 cancellation fee with VHI as long as you made no claims in current year.. See here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/charges-and-refunds-when-cancelling-health-insurance.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement