Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay here or move abroad?

Options
  • 15-07-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Currently living here. Married with one child. I am working reduced week (3 days) and my husband is also on three days due to reduction in both our work places. We have a mortgage. I might be able to obtain employment in Europe as my skills can be used there.

I would prefer to go if I got a position as I would want one of us to be in secure employment. I have applied over last year all over Ireland, sent 200 plus c.vs on linkedin etc, have experience but there is oversupply of my profession in Ireland. if my current job was to reduce further or if my husband lost his job (which is a real possibility) we would be in real difficulty. we are currently paying mortgage etc.

When i discuss with family/friends some say try to immigrate and some say we are both working and able to pay mortgage etc so stick it out until it gets better. anyone in a similar position what did you do/would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Do what you want to do, moving someplace for financial reasons is a mistake imo.

You already know the answer yourself.

But if you move 'abroad' then do it properly, take it as you won't see family or friends for long periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

bij wrote: »
    if my current job was to reduce further or if my husband lost his job (which is a real possibility) we would be in real difficulty. we are currently paying mortgage etc.
    It sounds at present as though there's a fair bit of insecurity and uncertainty in your situation, so as said above, it seems you know the answer already.

I would however caution against your job searching strategy - in my experience, LinkedIn is a complete waste of time and is of little value to anyone other than recruitment consultants. I accept that this may be just my experience, but I only know of one person who has obtained work through LinkedIn and that was just a short-term contract role.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bij

You are right, I think deep down I do know the answer. I have a linkedin profile but any jobs i have applied to are through advertisements, job sites, paper etc, so haven't found much use for it either..

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

I am sure you have already made your own decision, but if it is any help, I was in a similar position and found work in Germany, as did my husband. We had a wonderful quality of life and could easily afford to come home for long weekends regularly. We rented out our house to very good friends who had just got married and we returned here once the job situation improved a few years later. We did however make sure we had secured those jobs before coming back. It was a great experience and we were made very welcome. It gave us a chance to see much of Europe by car and the whole experience was so worth it. Everyone has slight feelings of doubt or insecurity about such a move, but the alternatives are not an option for some. Each situation is individual and personal, but it does help to talk it over with those who have been there and done that and still live to tell the tale!! I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.

Advertisement