Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc. in Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development

Options
  • 15-07-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is doing/has completed this conversion course? Trying to change careers at the moment as my degree hasn't led to many opportunities. Is the course intense? Are there many opportunities in the area?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

I looked at this myself last year. It looks interesting enough but honestly I dont thnk there is much work in Ireland with it. Mostly international students that do it. Good prospects abroad apperently? Some of the subjects are/can be dragged out, & while most ag staff are excellent at what they do, some of the lecturers in this programme can drag it out & make thigs harder than they actually are. (Just speaking from personal expierence though) A lot of economics & rural development. Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks for the reply Topper7. I'm looking at the other course in UCD at the moment also- Rural Environmental Conservation & Management. I come from a farming background though so maybe the other course is more suited. Why do you think there are no job opportunities in the area? Was really hoping one of these Masters would allow me to break into this area even at low level.

Can i ask what course you decided to do yourself? Looking at courses in the agri or horticulture area as always have been interested in that area and though postgrad conversion course would be best option as already have primary degree.

I done food & agribusiness management & loved every bit of it! There is some jobs but they are tough to come by. There is definately jobs abroad with the Msc, but its tough at home at the moment especially if you have a half decent one or dont know someone fairly well in the sector!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 T_84

Topper7 wrote: »
    I done food & agribusiness management & loved every bit of it! There is some jobs but they are tough to come by. There is definately jobs abroad with the Msc, but its tough at home at the moment especially if you have a half decent one or dont know someone fairly well in the sector!

Topper7, I'm starting the Food & Agribusiness Management this September, and was wondering could I pick your brain on the course? It would be good to get your thoughts on it, especially as you seem to have really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 T_84

P.s, apologies to OP for going off topic!

• Advertisement

T_84 wrote: »
    Topper7, I'm starting the Food & Agribusiness Management this September, and was wondering could I pick your brain on the course? It would be good to get your thoughts on it, especially as you seem to have really enjoyed it.

Ya sure T, send me a PM if you want & Ill gladly attempt to answer any questoins you have!

Advertisement