Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can/will Rossi win MotoGP Races again??

• 15-07-2012 12:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching the build up to the Mugello MotoGP Race.

The Italians are going absolutely nutts for Rossi,even though he only qualified in 10th for todays race.

Now Im a Rossi fan myself,Ive followed the chap from his 1st year in 125s,when he was only a kid with curly hair.

He a genius on a bike and hes a great relayer of a bikes mechanical ability too.

So my question is this.....

Can Rossi still win races,in this day and age??

Does he still have the ability to make a bike win and does he also still have the "mental and physical skill" to win races??

Supposedly hes staying with Ducati (now owned by Audi) for 2 more years,as his crash helmet suggests this weekend "lets stay together".

Can Rossi,Ducati and Audi win again in MotoGP?????

Your thoughts and comments please.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

paddy147 wrote: »
    Just watching the build up to the Mugello MotoGP Race.

The Italians are going absolutely nutts for Rossi,even though he only qualified in 10th for todays race.

Now Im a Rossi fan myself,Ive followed the chap from his 1st year in 125s,when he was only a kid with curly hair.

He a genius on a bike and hes a great relayer of a bikes mechanical ability too.

So my question is this.....

Can Rossi still win races,in this day and age??

Does he still have the ability to make a bike win and does he also still have the "mental and physical skill" to win races??

Supposedly hes staying with Ducati (now owned by Audi) for 2 more years,as his crash helmet suggests this weekend "lets stay together".

Can Rossi,Ducati and Audi win again in MotoGP?????

Your thoughts and comments please.:)

It's not completely beyond the realms of possibility, but he certainly won't be competing for a title if he's staying with Ducati for two more years. He finished 2nd in France this year, but outside of that his best finish was 6th. It would take a combination of a lot of things to go his way for him to win a race again.

Two podiums in two seasons (well, one and a half) isn't really good enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Well maybe having a chat with the boss/main man of Audi in the Ducati pit lane garage this weekend has convinced him to stay.

Maybe Audi are going to shake things up in the Ducati MotoGP squad and start serious development work to give Rossi and Hayden a winning bike.

The top brass in Ducati did too much fcuking around and interfering last year with "forcing" Rossi to stick Rossi and Hayden to stick with the carbon frame,when both of them said they bike and frame wasnt working and wouldnt work properly.

Maybe Audi will do things differently now...(heres hoping).

Oh and Rossi just managed to finish 5th just now.His best dry weather race finish this season,so far.

Hayden finished 7th.

Casey "Moaner" finished 8th and will no doubt blame everything else and the tyres too.Even though he overcooked a corner and went off track,all his own fault.

He then also rode dirty and purposely smacked into Bautista to force his way past.

I hope Moaner gets a grid place penalty for the next race,for that dangerous/stupid/pointless carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,394 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

One second off the podium, in the dry, with a test at Mugello coming up, things do look to be improving.
    Interesting that Nicky seems consistently faster in qualifying / on soft tyres, Rossi didn't get the soft tyre working at all this weekend but was good on the hard tyre and good in the race. Nicky was unlucky on the last lap though.
    We know Crutchlow is quick enough and the Tech3 Yamaha is a useful bike, he didn't really look like passing Rossi though...
    I would expect Audi to be useful in providing cash, but nothing useful in terms of engineering input.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

IMO....;)

He wont win again ......
    Stoners mind is somewhere else....as is Spies.....
    Next year i can see Rossi being his last "competitive" year...after that all the new boys in 2013 will be well up to speed....he'll end up like Edwards (who i am a big fan of) , but doubt if he'd lower himself to a CRT....
    He's only there for his fans ..(and Dorna).............:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Spies was suffering from food poisoning apparently.
    It could be that he has just had a load of misfortune as well, maybe his luck will turn with the next race?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Spies was suffering from food poisoning apparently.QUOTE]

Dont think Stoner has used that one yet..............:D

Sids Not wrote: »
    CJhaughey wrote: »
    Spies was suffering from food poisoning apparently.QUOTE]

Dont think Stoner has used that one yet..............:D

He used the "Im alergic to milk" excuse before though.;):D

I really hope that they "slap him on the hand" with a grid place penalty for the next race.

Hes quick to complain when some one gets in his way,but yet he feels it perfectly ok to purposely ram into another rider in the race to make a pass.

Casey Moaner is a fcuking whinging complaining hypocritical tw^t..:rolleyes:

Simple as that.

Oh and good riddens to "Moaner" and cant wait to see Mark Marquez on the RCV with Pedrosa next year.

I don't agree with some of CS27's behaviour, his elbow on Petrucci wasn't great and the pass on Bautista wasn't really sporting either.
    But you have to admire his skill on a GP bike, he is a fantastic rider that got the best out of the Ducati and the RCV211
    With CS27 leaving and MS58 last year MotoGP has lost two of its best prospects for a long time.
    Yes MM93 might be fast but he is also small like Pedrosa and it remains to be seen if he is able to handle the brutish RCV next year.
    DP27 looked completely washed out after Assen, just drained.
    No coincidence that HRC have brought new bikes to test at Mugello, maybe they are trying to make them more user friendly for the smaller guys for next year.
    Brute power doesn't win races, it has to be tamed and it looks as though CS27 is the only guy that is able to effectively ride the kind of bikes that have these power characteristics on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Its a gud question, I think Rossi wants to be more competitive but the bike he's on just isn't what he wants/thought it'd be. He's used to the Jap way of getting things done, where he used get what he'd want, hence why he was so successful and rode with Yamaha for so long, Ducati on the other hand are a different kettle of fish, they get feedback from the rider and produce what they want and tell the rider to make do, its a different setup from Jap manufacturers but I think they're starting to realise that to make the bike better they have to listen to Rossi more.

Maybe thats what was said to him by Audi and why he changed his mind and had a really gud race then today (Mugello). I'm not a mind reader so I dunno for sure only Rossi knows what happening but I hope he gets back to his flying form again I'd hate to see him fade away after being so great.

What about a move to WSB and re-ignite the Biaggi vs Rossi days? that'd be fun to watch!

To be honest MotoGP is getting boring and hard to watch after 6-10 laps cos its the same thing, the same riders all head off then either Lorenzo or moaner goes to the front and gets a 5 second lead on everyone else... Rossi needs to make a comeback to make it interesting again!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Ducati need to step up their development efforts.

They really haven't put all that much work into producing the bike Rossi wants.

Look at Honda for example - their bike is a cracking piece of kit but the two lads have just had two completely new bikes flown out from Japan for this weeks testing.

That's the sort of effort Ducati need to put into their bike - if they do then I think yes Rossi can win races again.

Lads , can we leave the "moaner" out........next we'll be back to the "gay rossi " thing....its a bit juvenile, leave that to the biker.ie forum...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

If the tyres got significantly better they'd be in with a shot on certain circuits.

At the moment both riders seem to be trying to manage their tyres until the last 5 laps or so, and then pushing as hard as they can on worn to fook tyres.

That's if the bike doesn't do something nutty.

Coming 2nd in Assen was fairly impressive stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Ducati need to step up their development efforts.

They really haven't put all that much work into producing the bike Rossi wants.

Look at Honda for example - their bike is a cracking piece of kit but the two lads have just had two completely new bikes flown out from Japan for this weeks testing.

That's the sort of effort Ducati need to put into their bike - if they do then I think yes Rossi can win races again.

I gotta agree with that assessment, Rossi will always be Rossi and in that respect will always want to win races but with the way ducati are going its not can he win but how high up can he finish, usually 5th or 6th which for Rossi I don't think is gud enough, especially for a man held in such high regard!

He knows what he wants and how to make a bike win races but ducati just aren't listening and are making that THEY want, giving it to him and saying "make it work". Thats not how it works, if they change their tune and listen to what he wants/needs I can see a ducati with Rossi on it in the top 3, maybe with Audi in charge that'll happen...

I think Ducati have/had a commercial thinking of "Rossi on a Ducati" will sell us loads of bikes worldwide.

Its more about image to them.

Rossi wants to win,hes very vocal about that and doesnt care about image ...in my opinion.

He has forced Ducatis hand at changing the bike over from a one piece carbon frame,when Ducati didnt want to do that at all.

Maybe,just maybe if Audi pull up the top brass at Ducati and force them to listen to Rossi and Jerry Burgess,then next year might be better from Rossi and Hayden (or possibly Cal Crutchlow,if rummors are to be believed)

Well well well.......

Whoever put money on Rossi heading back to Yamaha might be onto a good bet there.

Ben Spies officially announces hes leaving Yamaha at the end of the season (he wont say why,but seems very angry over it)..and also the Yamaha MotoGP head boss is seen talking to Rossi in Italy.

Rossi wont say anything to confirm anything,but he hasnt said he is staying with Ducati either.

Very strong rummors from reliable sources within MotoGP say that Yamaha want Rossi back for his talent to make a strong 2 man MotoGP team for 2013,and also the fact that the publicity and endorsement Rossi brings with him,wherever he goes.

Rossi is also supposed to have said to the Yamaha main boss,that its not about money for him,its all about winning races again,and being a regular on the podium again.

I wonder what odds Paddy Power would give me on Rossi going back to Yamaha??

1+1= .......:D

PS-Ben Spies wrote off his Yamaha M1 in qualifying for tonights MotoGP race from laguna Seca.Big crash.

Live on Eurosport 2 and Setanta Ireland from 10pm tonight

And Rossi has just destroyed his Ducati 3 laps from the end of the race.

He was braking for the "corkscrew" and he wiped out before he even got into the corkscrew.

End is result was 1 wrecked Ducati and Rossi walking around in circles in the sand and gravel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

In fairness when was the last time Rossi registered a DNF is a motogp race....VERY RARE INDEED. Spies on the other hand is a joke!!!! School boy errors every fookin race, he announced he was leaving coz he knew he was getting the bullet to save face IMHO.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    School boy errors every fookin race, he announced he was leaving coz he knew he was getting the bullet to save face IMHO.

Guy is just unlucky......broken swing arm, how is that his fault...???
    Rossi on the other hand, schoolboy error....

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Feel bad for Rossi, his look in qualifying when they put the soft on was priceless. Then come race day, it really flew off the track, funny and sad to watch at the same time.

Hayden did well, but I get the feeling he'd do well on any bike at that track. He practically owns Laguna

• Advertisement

UNLUCKY...you having a laugh m8 :rolleyes:

Have you been watching Spies over the last 10 races this year. Out of the 10 races currently run he has finished 11th 3 times, 8th once, 16th / 10th and registered a DNF. All this from a rider on a factory bike!!!! Unlucky......:confused:

Major school boy errors always in nearly every race, running wide on corners when being pushed hard from racers behind is fast becoming his trade mark. And this is from a fan, I even have the lads Monster replica helmet I bought, the guy has talent but since his last BIG crash his confidence is shattered.

And his performances are totally dire....2 fourth places his highest in 10 races on a factory bike!!!!!

Ducati are rummored to have put an offer of 17 million euro on the table this weekend at laguna Seca for Rossi to stay with them.

Rossi says that he will make a decision/statement on his decision/plans very soon at the Indianapolis MotoGP race weekend.

With regards Spies......its a lack of confidence in himself and the bike too,I think.

He seems to have lost some of his fizzle and his self belief and he has made a fair few simple errors that have led to crashes and DNF,s

Anyone remember James Toseland in MotoGP??
    He came up from WSB into MotoGP as the next big thing...
    Exact same thing happend to him too,in season number 2 in MotoGP.he lost his confidnce and self belief.
    He then went back to WSB,after that,and is now retired,due to a serious injury to his hand that prevents him holding onto the bike.

There "may" be a chance for Spies to go back to Tech 3 Yamaha next season,but he really needs a kick up the arse and some motivation and self belief again.

Other than that,it could be back to WSB or the American AMA series for Spies.

Did you see Rossi crash as he was braking for the Corkscrew??

Front end completly folded on him under braking,before he even lent the bike over.

This is something that both himself and Jerry Burgess have been saying is a weak link in the Ducati bike,and something they are working on to fix.

Rossi is having to use far more "rear brake" to try to steer and control the bike,as the front end just does not seem to be working for either him or Jerry Burgess.

So I wouldnt classify that as a "schoolboy error" somehow.

I tell you something if Rossi signs again for Ducati he can have no grounds for maoning about the bike.....he knows EXACTLY what he is getting in to. I mean its not like he needs the money for me he needs to get on a competitive bike next year (which may take 2-3 seasons for Ducati) and get back to being a UBER good rider and win races. I honestly think he can still win races...

As for Mr Benjamin Spies on a FACTORY bike you dont have time for silly little errors ALL THE TIME....thats why you on it. Sure everyone makes mistakes, look at stoner last race coming off right at the 2nd last lap **** happens but with him this year its real bad. And what makes it worse is the likes of the hugely talented S Bradl running amuck in his first season.

Theres also talk of Spies going to Suzuki when they come back into MotoGP next year (supposedly).

Anyway....best thing for Spies to do is to keep his head down,keep focused and ride the wheels of the Yamaha M1 for the rest of the season and show people and other team bosses what he is capable of.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Theres also talk of Spies going to Suzuki when they come back into MotoGP next year (supposedly).

Anyway....best thing for Spies to do is to keep his head down,keep focused and ride the wheels of the Yamaha M1 for the rest of the season and show people and other team bosses what he is capable of.
    He needs to leave his mothers tit TBH.

Well if Yamaha have any sense they'll be signing Wonda-Boy as he would no doubt be able to avoid those 'schoolboy errors' Spies is making ;)

Blah Blah Blah Blah....another QUALITY POST. :rolleyes:

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Blah Blah Blah another QUALITY POST....:rolleyes:

Well in fairness you were talking sh1te about a rider who has won WSBK and AMA championship as if he was a fvckin newbie :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Well in fairness you were talking sh1te about a rider who has won WSBK and AMA championship as if he was a fvckin newbie :rolleyes:

Whatever Davin, you dont agree with what I say post up something to prove me wrong. Did not know you were so interested in what I have to say....

I am referring to this season as I said above, but you did not bother to read the above, you just wanna throw your 2cents in with a random **** argument starters to link back to OTHER FORUMS.

His results speak for themselves this year and he IS riding like a newbie. Sorry, should not be quoting the lads off "EUROSPORT" saying he is making school boy errors. So what if he has won WSBK and the AMA ( like that is hard) thats not gonna save his place in YAMAHA and you only as good as your last race which is a DNF :rolleyes:

So if you have nothing worth while to add to the topic don't add anything.

Advertisement