Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good time of year to check smoke detectors

• 15-07-2012 12:48pm

After my own near miss this morning with a towel put over a lamp in my 5 year olds bedroom, I'm now a new believer in the benefits of smoke alarms, I was lucky as due to my own laziness and a personal guarantee to myself I could never have fire in my house I disconnected the alarm nearest the fire as it had been beeping and annoying me:mad:, luckily a second alarm I hadn't messed with kicked in saving the house, so from a lesson learnt from my own stupidly which could of cost me dearly I would advise checking any alarms as I will now do daily.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

just checked my own after reading that!

Lucky indeed gary. was it smouldering on the lamp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

we installed electric ones running off the power. in nearly all rooms in the house bar the kitchen which has a heat triggered one. Worth the investment at the end of the day. You got a lucky escape.

just checked my own after reading that!

Lucky indeed gary. was it smouldering on the lamp?

She broke the lampshade then fixed it with a towel and the towel went up, I'm very lucky and the idea of being at fault for disconnecting the smoke alarm is a uncomfortable weight to bear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Once you take them off the naughty step Gary maybe worth putting in low wattage bulbs into bedside lamps they give off very little heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Weekly - bin night works for me!

Glad to hear you got an alarm from the other detector.

• Advertisement
Advertisement