Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A hero or a zero?

• 15-07-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭

I was toying with the idea of posting this in the Consumer Issues or Rip-off Ireland fora, but it doesn't seem to fit.

As far as I can see, he shouldn't have fitted out his shop to look like a Hollister store, but needing a licence to sell Abercrombie & Fitch goods in Ireland seems a bit "price-controlling" to me. If it was a licence to sell air-to-air missiles or rocket-launchers, okay, but clothing? Nah!

I don't know what he was charging for the A&F goods, so don't know whether or not he was under-cutting the sellers with licences.
    Catch of the day: fisherman on hook for selling top brand

By Barry Duggan

Saturday July 14 2012

A FISHERMAN who landed almost 600 items of clothing from a Florida store has been taken to court here by an American clothing giant -- after he set up a replica shop.

Max Kulczynski has agreed to return the branded clothing -- thought to be worth at least €10,000 -- to the American brand Abercrombie & Fitch.
    He had been selling the clothing from a converted shop at the back of his home in Kilkee, Co Clare, when gardai raided the premises earlier this year.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/catch-of-the-day-fisherman-on-hook-for-selling-top-brand-3167987.html

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

is there a stupid ejit option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's illegal to sell trademarked goods from the US in Ireland without a license? Adverts.ie and the like are up **** creek in that case!

What a load of bollix it is. And what's worse is the Gardai are basically acting as a corporate enforcers in cases like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MidlandsM wrote: »
    is there a stupid ejit option?

I was trying to avoid mentioning that one :D

It's illegal to sell trademarked goods from the US in Ireland without a license? Adverts.ie and the like are up **** creek in that case!

What a load of bollix it is. And what's worse is the Gardai are basically acting as a corporate enforcers in cases like this.

It seems a bit of a joke, when there are probably millions, or even billions made in the sale of knock-off goods around the world, and some guy in Kilkee gets a knock on the door for selling the genuine article.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

to sell and to "retail" are 2 different things ....this guy had a whole shop, retailing the stuff. He knew well what he was at........but fair play to him........at least he was trying to make a living, its not like he was money laundering, diesel laundering or drug dealing.

• Advertisement

From the tiny excerpt that you gave, OP, I thought he was out fishing and came across a big box full of clothing that had washed up on the beach or something (like a cartoon TNT crate or the likes).

I thought he just stumbled across them, took/stole them and sold them, and that's what the issue was.

What a terrible writer (not the OP, The journalist) What a crap way to explain something. "Fisherman lands clothing" actually means "Man (who completely unrelated, also happens to fish) imports purchased goods from another country, and sells them without relevant license".

From the tiny excerpt that you gave, OP, I thought he was out fishing and came across a big box full of clothing that had washed up on the beach or something (like a cartoon TNT crate or the likes).

I thought he just stumbled across them, took/stole them and sold them, and that's what the issue was.

What a terrible writer (not the OP, The journalist) What a crap way to explain something. "Fisherman lands clothing" actually means "Man (who completely unrelated, also happens to fish) imports purchased goods from another country, and sells them without relevant license".

I bet the journo thought "fisherman!", then spent 8 hours trying to come up with something good, but failed and gave us that article instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my father in law calls the gardai 'government tax collectors' because thats all they are seen to be doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I wonder what his mark up was? I mean to buy the items from a shop, ship them home, turn a room into a fake hollister shop and sell them.

It sounds more hassle than it's worth tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Abercrombie owns hollister. Anyway Abercrombie is very finicky about their brand and where they sell it, and what the store looks like. All their money is made an brand and image so I don't really blame them or care even tbh.
    It's kind of like apple that won't let the iPhone appear in any ad along with a competing phone or they have requirements in place if you ever want to sell their products, you need to adhere to them. Notice how if you walk into currys, the iPad will (or should) have its own stand.

• Advertisement

At least the US didn't try and get him extradited like they seem to do with everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

A company invests in its brand and then wants to protect it.

This is a non story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

dvpower wrote: »

This is a non story.

How exactly was he endangering their brand? Some yokel selling a few jumpers from his kitchen in Kilkee isn't going to take down a multi-billion dollar corporation.

Besides, he legally purchased the items. Hollister aren't even looking for legal costs, which suggests that they know full well that they don't have much of a case against him. They've scared your man into returning the clothes and removing a few rails from his gaff.. their company has well and truly being saved from the brink of collapse.

How dare some fella sell on the stuff he has legally purchased. He should be paying millionaires and Chinese sweatshop owners a premium for doing so.. the scumbag.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dvpower wrote: »

This is a non story.
    Blocking grey imports has more to do with protecting profits that with brands.

It's not like there are technical differences that mean the clothes operate sub optimally over here.

Unless A&F announce that the US clothes are actually inferior quality then it's just a case of fleecing Europeans to subsidise US customers.

Advertisement