Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Swithin's Day - 15th July 2012

• 15-07-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet. :D
    'St. Swithin's day if thou dost rain
    For forty days it will remain
    St. Swithin's day if thou be fair
    For forty days 'twill rain nae mair.'

Fingers crossed that it doesn't rain here in Kilkenny. I can manage 40 days of grey skies just so long as it doesn't rain with it.

Has anyone ever done a study on it to prove the rhyme has some validity behind it other than legend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Raining here now so that's us fecked :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Saint who?

Its only if you live in England right?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

vicwatson wrote: »
    Saint who?

Its only if you live in England right?;)

British Isles apparently and geographically we are part of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

British Isles apparently and geographically we are part of that.

And Kilkenny is the real capital of Ireland. Consider me bought in so. :D

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    And Kilkenny is the real capital of Ireland. Consider me bought in so. :D

Ah sorry there. I was reading that from a Sassenach site. No wonder. :D However, Saints and all that goes with them know no geographical, political or metaphysical boundaries.

It goes without saying about Kilkenny. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

raining in cork :( can't handle more rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not remotely related to the thread topic but here is some IMT statistical nonsense regarding days of the week. (based on 3.5 years up to June 2012)

Sunday is the driest day of the week - statistically! Of all the Sundays' from January 2009 to June 2012 (173 in all :D) only 7 of them recorded a 10mm + IMT daily mean, the lowest count of wet days of any day of the week.

Thursday has the highest number of wet days (10mm +), yet, also has the highest number of dry days. Despite this, it is more likely to rain on a Wednesday than on any other day in the week, but if rain falls on a Monday, it is statically likely to be heavier than on any other day.

Of all the days of the week in the 3.5 year IMT series, the chances of seeing a 20c + max is greatest on a Thursday with Monday seeing the least amount of 20c + temps. Overall, Monday is the coldest day of the week. :)

I know, I have too much time on my hands..! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ah sorry there. I was reading that from a Sassenach site. No wonder. :D However, Saints and all that goes with them know no geographical, political or metaphysical boundaries.

It goes without saying about Kilkenny. :P

No problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sunday is the driest day of the week - statistically! Of all the Sundays' from January 2009 to June 2012 (173 in all :D) only 7 of them recorded a 10mm + IMT daily mean, the lowest count of wet days of any day of the week.

I know, I have too much time on my hands..! :o

So Bishop Brennan was onto a winner yesterday...is that what you are saying. ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Well, day 2 after St Swithins day where it rained here in the NW and you've guessed it...Plenty rain here today and yesterday too. :(

Right Rain, I am on my hols on Friday so do me a favour....dry up!
    I am ordering sunny weather for the next two weeks, and may have to do a whip around to pay the courier... empty your wallets folks!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There's lots of truth in the old St Swithin's day legend, I presume it has more to do with farmer's weather lore than St Swithin who probably didn't even exist?
    July 15th is the middle of summer and whatever weather pattern prevails will persist until late August at least, a fine September is common after a bad summer.
    PS. I was in Malaga at the weekend, have a look at Saturday's temperatures :eek:
    http://meteo.infospace.ru/wcarch/html/e_day_stn.sht?num=3607&id=&dd=14&mm=07&yyyy=2012&x=4&y=8

Only a five minute light sprinkling of rain in KK on Sunday (that I can remember) and Monday and Tuesday have followed suit so far. I know I'll regret the if there's no rain I won't care about the greyness. In fact, I'm already regretting it. There are only so many shades of grey that I can tolerate. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

There's lots of truth in the old St Swithin's day legend, I presume it has more to do with farmer's weather lore than St Swithin who probably didn't even exist?
    July 15th is the middle of summer and whatever weather pattern prevails will persist until late August at least, a fine September is common after a bad summer.
    I'm not surprised that we're back to the depressingly familiar cool N/NW'lies (after a brief interruption) that have dominated this summer and looks like prevailing into August, I've been a firm believer in the Swithin's day legend for years - not the forty days and nights nonsense obviously.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2012/brack/bracka20120715.gif

Advertisement