Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most annoying car alarm ever...is it legal?

Options
  • 15-07-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

there is a car parked across the road from my house for around the last week and it seems to have an alarm on it that defies all logic...ive never come across one like this before

every time a person walks by it or a car drives by it makes the most offensive high pitched beep....EVRY time!

then for no reason that i can see every once in a while all the lights start flashing and it sounds like a fire brigade, an ambulance and a polic car one after the other...noone comes to check on it and it just stops!?

this is happening at 4 in the morning etc

i rang the garda and they thought i was bananas doing impressions of it down the phone (dont blame them i am starting to loose the plot!) said theyd 'check it out' but what would they be checking?

is this kind of alarm legal...surely its a noise pollution issue..? :confused:

btw if anyone has read my previous thread on this forum they will know approaching certain neighbours is not an option where i am living

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

So basically you want this car to disappear

I can arrange that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

So basically you want this car to disappear

I can arrange that

no. i want to know if the type of alarm on the car is legal as its causing a problem for me, disturbing my sleep etc

but if it was to disappear altogether i would have no problem with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I'm intrigued by your description, could you record a video of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Maybe the owner of the car knows you and does it on purpose, just to annoy you?

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Maybe the owner of the car knows you and does it on purpose, just to annoy you?

you think so? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

lolo62 wrote: »
    you think so? ;)

You never know, some people are strange ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The description sounds like its a proximity alarm gone a bit wrong, it will "chirp" if someone goes near the car, but it shouldnt be going off all the time, i think some of them will beep and if the person dosent go away from the car the full alarm will go off,
    at 1:30 it shows it working

bladebrew wrote: »
    The description sounds like its a proximity alarm gone a bit wrong, it will "chirp" if someone goes near the car, but it shouldnt be going off all the time, i think some of them will beep and if the person dosent go away from the car the full alarm will go off,
    at 1:30 it shows it working

thats it exactly...well the alarm bit anyway..the chirp is different, much louder, and annoying

thing is its a narrow public road in a quiet residential area, how is it legal to have an alarm like that when its going to be triggered so easily and frequently?

the car is parked up on the curb which doesnt help as it means people get closer to the car by no fault of their own

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Sounds like a Clifford alarm, they can turn down the sensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

No consolsation to the OP however the genius next door to us had one of these proximity alarms on his car. It beeped contantly, wind / vibration of traffic passing etc would cause the car to "chirp". My wife was beside herself could not leave the window open at night as it was nearly constant!

The good bit is he has now sold it!!! week before last, maybe he sold it to the ops neighbour. It was one of white sporty circa 1999/2000 cars favoured by the youth today, nissan mx????

I feel your pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Think I've seen this car also.
    If it is the same one it used to be parked in the whitehall area.
    Gone now tho. Head wrecking isn't the word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Eggs and flour and a nice car cake :)

thanks for the replies

its a silver car so not the same one, it is one of those boy racer type though

luckily there were no spaces outside mine tonight so its parked up the road a bit further, if he manages to park close to me again he'll be getting a nice passive aggressive note under his wiper!

im hoping for now the far angrier people on the road will beat me to it in having words with him as its beyond a joke...i actually got a good half hours entertainment out of it last night watching people nearly jump out of their underwear when that obnoxious beep goes off :p its so loud!

i know the guy is just trying to protect his nice car and all but its a tad arrogant to think he can do it at the expense of everyone elses peace and sanity..imagine what the road would be like if everyone got themselves one of those alarms!

Just on the is it legal side - under civil law (the expensive kind :P) it's nuisance so if its an ongoing problem you could take him to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

13 replies and noone has even thought of asking the chap to make his alarm less sensitive?

BX 19 wrote: »
    13 replies and noone has even thought of asking the chap to make his alarm less sensitive?

I think the note would cover it but you have a point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, just leave the following note under the cars wiper :

Dear Car Owner,

I understand your car is your pride and joy, and i also understand that you want to protect it with the best alarm possible.

But as you can imagine, the proximity sensor constantly beeping and chirping has kept me awake on so many occasions.

Would it be possible to lower the sensitivity of the promimety sensor as we live on a narrow street and the constatnt flow of pedestrians, animals and of course the irish weather has the car chirping throughout the night.

I hope you can understand why i left this note, and hopefully you can sort the alarm to a decent medium where your car is still protected, but the noise is not as intrusive on the home owners of the street.

Thank you very much,

Your Neighbour.

See how that works, its polite, not agressive or demanding so if the car owner has any decently or cop on he should oblidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

1. Ask your neighbour to sort out the problem.

2. If that doesn't work, get in touch with the environmental department of the local authority and make a complaint about the noise.

Advertisement