Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a horse vetted

Options
  • 15-07-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭

When getting a horse vetted what exactly should you be asking/looking for?

The horse in question is about 8, has done a bit of everything and according to his current owner has never had any medical issues or had to see a vet for anything other than annual vaccs.

If we were to buy this horse he would be used for mostly riding club activities - hacking, dressage, bit of jumping (80-90cm at the moment maybe up to 1.10 eventually), maybe the odd hunt during the season...

So how intensive of a vetting should we be looking at based on what we want to do? And has anyone a rough idea how much we would expect to pay?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Normally vettings are whats called a five stage vetting and its a fairly standard procedure. It might cost you 100 euro or more, but its money well spent.

A two stage vetting is only really suitable for youngstock or breeding animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

fits wrote: »
    Normally vettings are whats called a five stage vetting and its a fairly standard procedure. It might cost you 100 euro or more, but its money well spent.

A two stage vetting is only really suitable for youngstock or breeding animals.

100 really? My friend bought a horse 2 months ago and was charged 400 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

100 really? My friend bought a horse 2 months ago and was charged 400 :eek:

Yikes, 400 is a lot! Was this in Dublin or elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

for high performance horses you can x rays done and bloods taken and the whole works so I'm sure it adds up. I cant remember exactly but I think I paid 120 euro the last time I had a horse vetted.

Valentina wrote: »
    Yikes, 400 is a lot! Was this in Dublin or elsewhere?

yeah and our yard is very near the Kildare/Dublin/Wicklow border so I'm pretty sure she got someone from Kildare to do it thinking it'd be cheaper!

• Advertisement

Got a quote from a vet near where the horse lives for €180 which includes a €30 call out fee and covers bloods, flexion test, wind and lunge.

Valentina wrote: »
    Got a quote from a vet near where the horse lives for €180 which includes a €30 call out fee and covers bloods, flexion test, wind and lunge.

good luck hope everything goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Just a tip, if you are planning on insuring the horse they will require a Stage 5 Vetting form filled in by a Vet so may be worth doing the whole hog if you do plan on taking out insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Had a mare vetted because I suspected problem with soundness. Best €140 I ever spent, vetting included lunge, wind, scan (mare was for breeding and riding)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Where insures horses please

• Advertisement

Where insures horses please

Try Allianz (allianz.ie) and Wexford Insurance (wexfordinsurance.com they only cover Third Party and don't do vet bills)

Advertisement