Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Butter Road Ultra Fun-Run

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Now make it an organised event ... :D

Wheels are in motion, the local committee are having a meeting soon about ides for the gathering.
    My current sentiment is that while do-able a one day misses the point of the journey along the historic road. a two-day event Tralee-Millstreet [rest overnight] Millstreet-Cork is closer in spirit to the original trade use of the road. (and better for the local economy)
    Despite the pain the road left a lasting (positive) impression on me, It's nice to slow down and take in the countryside. :D:D:D (I was incapable of running fast today, as like most days :o)

Looking forward to a few weeks of low mileage speed work now before ramping again for the Eddie Murphy Memorial.

Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Fair dues Bertie.
    Was thinking of you this morning as I was doing a 14 miler. Weather was perfect, but I wasn't feeling the running love either.
    Well done in getting to the Firkin Crane Centre in one piece. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Thanks everyone.

Now that I've had a few days rest I'm itching for a re-run :eek:

This may sound a bit strange but I feel as if I have a score to settle with leg 2.

I am delighted with my time but sort of angry with my performance / behaviour.
    My original idea for this was that running this particular route was a reach out to the past, a time to reflect on the hardship faced by the original users, and a time to reflect on the sheer magnitude of forging the route through the countryside, and to realise our current position isn't the worst we've been in. (It helps to have read the historical publications)

The first leg definitely felt this way, I felt humbled to be doing it, it was a nice experience and I felt as if I had a connection with the road.

I was so wrapped up in my own demons on the 2nd leg that I forgot to take stock and take in the fabric of the road, and as such felt like an interloper chasing a "completed" box on the bucket list rather then being part of the experience. :confused:

It might sound like a load of old clap-trap but I really feel as if the 2nd leg bested me in a different way, so like I said I would like a re-run to pay my respects. :o

And I will be doing it at a slighty slower pace with a working camera.

But not this year :)

Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

b.harte wrote: »
    Now that I've had a few days rest I'm itching for a re-run :eek:

But not this year :)

Give me a couple of weeks notice and I'll do it with you,
    see if I can conquer Mushera !!??
    ( and only if you promise not to O.D. on the gels!!! )

Advertisement