Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD GEM Practicalities

• 15-07-2012 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hoping some of you guys who are in UCD could answer a few boring but practical questions. Realise I'm jumping the gun here but feck it...

My main question: is it practical to drive to/park in UCD? I heard that parking is a nightmare over there. I'd be coming from North County Dublin. Taking public transport would be a serious pain, it would also take forever. Ideally, I'd like to take the M50 out and maybe use the Dundrum or Sandyford exit.

What sort of daily hours should be expected? Is it pretty much 9-5 Mon-Fri?

How much time off for the summer/xmas holidays? The same as other degrees?

Cheers...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kingofkong

You'll get parking everyday if you're there before 8.30am, but some days you might not have a lecture until 1pm so being in early can be a pain (use the time to study) - some nice person in your class might let you park in their driveway

hours in 1st year as far as I can remember are about 3 to 5 a day, but some days you're 9 to 5 due to practicals

you have nearly 14 weeks off after 1st year, about 8 weeks after 2nd year and then only a few weeks after 3rd year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭EngDoc

kingofkong wrote: »
    You'll get parking everyday if you're there before 8.30am, but some days you might not have a lecture until 1pm so being in early can be a pain (use the time to study) - some nice person in your class might let you park in their driveway

hours in 1st year as far as I can remember are about 3 to 5 a day, but some days you're 9 to 5 due to practicals

you have nearly 14 weeks off after 1st year, about 8 weeks after 2nd year and then only a few weeks after 3rd year

Cheers man, thanks for the info.
    If there are any kind g_med students out there with a free parking space near ucd, let me know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 McMuffin

As above, if you come in at 8.30 you'll get a place.

Most days are essentially 9-4/5 even though you may only have 4-5 hours of classes on one particular day. They tend to be spread out over the whole day which can be annoying if you find it hard to get any work done in 1 hour periods.

You actually get 16 weeks off in your first summer, 10 in your second summer and about 6-8 weeks in your 3rd summer. Then you get about 7-8 weeks off in your final year before you begin as an intern.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lonelywanderer

McMuffin wrote: »
    As above, if you come in at 8.30 you'll get a place.

Most days are essentially 9-4/5 even though you may only have 4-5 hours of classes on one particular day. They tend to be spread out over the whole day which can be annoying if you find it hard to get any work done in 1 hour periods.

You actually get 16 weeks off in your first summer, 10 in your second summer and about 6-8 weeks in your 3rd summer. Then you get about 7-8 weeks off in your final year before you begin as an intern.

Jesus that's loads of time off :D

Eng doc worse comes to worst you can always park on South Avenue near the Owenstown entrance. About a 10-15 min walk depending on where you are in class, although the health building is definitely the further end of UCD to Owenstown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Some more boring practical questions:

How much does it cost to park in UCD? I know there is an hourly rate for visitors, but the UCD website mentions getting a pass for students, is that possible?

Are there any free catering facilities GEM students can use like a kitchen, microwave, kettle? I know the RCSI place have all that, it would be very handy and economical to have as you can make free coffee, bring in lunch to heat and so on.

I'm wondering about cycling in and showering. Are there any showers we can use there in UCD or would you have to use the sports centre? How much does that cost these days?

What are the approx dates during the year like first lecture, Xmas hols, exams and summer holidays?

• Advertisement
Advertisement