Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wingmanning: How do?

• 15-07-2012 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭

So we've had the cock-blocking thread, the Irish women are awful thread and the small penis thread. I say we put a positive spin on this sudden interest in the mysterious ways of finding someone for your pilot(is pilot the right term for someone you're wingmanning?)

The last bit of real wingmanning I ever did was when I was 15 and you'd just say to someone your pilot had their eyes on, "He's really nice and fancies you, will you score him?) And point in the general direction of him.

However, after a big heart to heart with one of my closest friends he's decided to become determined to get a serious relationship. He's a total boss, really sweet, open to anything, nothing phases him. He'll talk to the most sexy, gorgeous confident girl in the same way he'd talk to a really shy, low self-esteem girl. He's made a serious effort on looking better, and he has amazing tales from travelling and doing awesome stuff. However, he doesn't go in for the kill. I've often had the two of us chatting with some girls and the conversation has been going for 15 minutes and he gets a little shy. Like he doesn't know what happens next. I've tried to get him to "go-fer-it." But I think he needs a sign from the girl that she'd be ok with it. Strangely, I've often ended up going out with these girls he's missed myself (as in I'd run into them in the pub again and we'd be talking and end up drinking for the night, and they do always speak of him nicely.)

So After Hours wisdom bank. Tell me your tales of wingmanning and how it's gone good or bad. I'm looking for those little bits of advice that are only apparent after a full debrief. (But if you go for that pick-up-artist ****e I'm sure most people are just going to laugh.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I can't wait til the schools go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Where To wrote: »
    I can't wait til the schools go back.
    I agree, a lot of these teachers get carried away with themselves during the summer holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You seem like a bad wingman tbh OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Will you shift my friend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

I think that your story is example one of wingmanning gone bad - Goes out as wingman, dates girl himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

leggo wrote: »
    You seem like a bad wingman tbh OP.

I agree. Hence the "how do?" part. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I am sorry Op don't understand what you mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

sexist thread.

realies wrote: »
    I am sorry Op don't understand what you mean ?

I'm looking for advice on how to wingman someone. (And how to write good OPs I guess.) :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Posting his details on the internet seems like the way to go. Points for laziness, and attracting the crazies to his door, be sure to keep us updated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Kote?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Lyaiera wrote: »
    So we've had the cock-blocking thread, the Irish women are awful thread and the small penis thread. I say we put a positive spin on this sudden interest in the mysterious ways of finding someone for your pilot(is pilot the right term for someone you're wingmanning?)

The last bit of real wingmanning I ever did was when I was 15 and you'd just say to someone your pilot had their eyes on, "He's really nice and fancies you, will you score him?) And point in the general direction of him.

However, after a big heart to heart with one of my closest friends he's decided to become determined to get a serious relationship. He's a total boss, really sweet, open to anything, nothing phases him. He'll talk to the most sexy, gorgeous confident girl in the same way he'd talk to a really shy, low self-esteem girl. He's made a serious effort on looking better, and he has amazing tales from travelling and doing awesome stuff. However, he doesn't go in for the kill. I've often had the two of us chatting with some girls and the conversation has been going for 15 minutes and he gets a little shy. Like he doesn't know what happens next. I've tried to get him to "go-fer-it." But I think he needs a sign from the girl that she'd be ok with it. Strangely, I've often ended up going out with these girls he's missed myself (as in I'd run into them in the pub again and we'd be talking and end up drinking for the night, and they do always speak of him nicely.)

So After Hours wisdom bank. Tell me your tales of wingmanning and how it's gone good or bad. I'm looking for those little bits of advice that are only apparent after a full debrief. (But if you go for that pick-up-artist ****e I'm sure most people are just going to laugh.)

OP I think you should be his serious relationship.

Kote?

Yeah. He said less tongue this time.

Yeah. He said less tongue this time.

What a prude.

Kote?

Yeah. So...will ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

What does he think of the ones he'd talk to? Is there a case of wishing he knew them better? If its anything like me, its a kind of wariness about relationships and their tendency to not go so great. Which I'm thinking likely as there are some parallels to me.

A lot of that stuff sounds fairly similar to me. I kinda prefer to know a particular lass before starting, as I'm looking for more than an attraction, and looking for something more. As in, we'd click, get along.

As for one night stands, there is a "is she looking for a one night stand? I can't really ask that.." and crap running through your head.

Yeah. So...will ya?

Spread 'em, boy. You're about to get the tongue lashing of a lifetime. In the anus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'm looking for advice on how to wingman someone. (And how to write good OPs I guess.) :o

"Get a gay guy! They're surprisingly brilliant at it plus no danger in losing the catch;)"

Said loser friend that couldn't score in a whore house if I wasn't there to break the ice and get things going for him:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

hondasam wrote: »
    sexist thread.
    Close but I reckon the one about spying on his sister in the bath is probably the sexiest thread

hondasam wrote: »
    sexist thread.

This certainly is the sexiest thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

It's easy being a wing man when you are in a relationship. The most important thing, if you actually want your mate to do well, is to not make him look like a tool by dropping in the time he shat himself at school or other stories that don't put the boy in the best light. He's well capable of making himself look stupid, perhaps it's the wingman's job to counteract this?? I don't know

Pushtrak wrote: »
    What does he think of the ones he'd talk to? Is there a case of wishing he knew them better? If its anything like me, its a kind of wariness about relationships and their tendency to not go so great. Which I'm thinking likely as there are some parallels to me.

A lot of that stuff sounds fairly similar to me. I kinda prefer to know a particular lass before starting, as I'm looking for more than an attraction, and looking for something more. As in, we'd click, get along.

As for one night stands, there is a "is she looking for a one night stand? I can't really ask that.." and crap running through your head.

That seems on the ball. He's happy for one-night stands, but he isn't pursuing them. I guess he's looking for a relationship more than anything. A woman who actually likes him and likes to do things with him. Neither of us are in the clubbing phase of our life.

I guess it's the way of the pub, especially with popular good pubs. Everything seems so full on, 100% all the time. You start talking to a lot of people and it's like you're in a pinball machine, so much going on and stuff bouncing all over the place. It's hard to get a read on someone. Especially as all the people we both hang around with are far more chilled and prefer a more chilled setting than high-octane pubs. But pubs are one of the places you get to meet new and interesting people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

That seems on the ball. He's happy for one-night stands, but he isn't pursuing them. I guess he's looking for a relationship more than anything. A woman who actually likes him and likes to do things with him. Neither of us are in the clubbing phase of our life.

I guess it's the way of the pub, especially with popular good pubs. Everything seems so full on, 100% all the time. You start talking to a lot of people and it's like you're in a pinball machine, so much going on and stuff bouncing all over the place. It's hard to get a read on someone. Especially as all the people we both hang around with are far more chilled and prefer a more chilled setting than high-octane pubs. But pubs are one of the places you get to meet new and interesting people.

OP by the sounds of things you and your mate need a squadron not a wingman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yeah, I also found it difficult to gain entry to clubs when I was 15.

mattjack wrote: »
    OP by the sounds of things you and your mate need a squadron not a wingman.

I suppose we could join the navy. I've heard lots of stuff happens in the navy. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Close but I reckon the one about spying on his sister in the bath is probably the sexiest thread
    This certainly is the sexiest thread.
    Spread 'em, boy. You're about to get the tongue lashing of a lifetime. In the anus.

I can see this is a sexy thread. I need to get comfortable.

See OP? I'm an awesome wingman :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Kote?

Oh!
    Me me me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Would ya all go and stop with the fcuking cock-blocking and wingman boll*x ... Go and get yourself a fcuking bf or gf like normal people do ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Blondini wrote: »
    Would ya all go and stop with the fcuking cock-blocking and wingman boll*x ... Go and get yourself a fcuking bf or gf like normal people do ...

What's it to you how people conduct their sex lives?

How do normal people get boyfriends (or girlfriends?) I just used wingmanning in the sense of "I'm not looking for a relationship, one of my BFFs is, I'd like to help him meet nice people."

I specificially didn't mean it in the Pick Up Artist way. Especially as as far as I know wingmanning has been around as a term long before the PUA saddos adopted it (that was me negging you saddos btw.)

Sauve wrote: »
    What's it to you how people conduct their sex lives?

What's it to you how I feel about how people conduct their sex lives?
    eh? eh? eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

How do normal people get boyfriends (or girlfriends?) I just used wingmanning in the sense of "I'm not looking for a relationship, one of my BFFs is, I'd like to help him meet nice people."

I specificially didn't mean it in the Pick Up Artist way. Especially as as far as I know wingmanning has been around as a term long before the PUA saddos adopted it (that was me negging you saddos btw.)
    BFF??:confused:

As for the rest....I think I'm better off living in ignorance.

Ah .. that explains a lot ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

How do normal people get boyfriends (or girlfriends?)

facebook

• Advertisement

Ah .. that explains a lot ....

Yes, I am only 14 and a half. :P

But I use "BFF" with as much severity as I use "wingmanning." They're fun terms, so I make no apologies.
    Jimoslimos wrote: »
    BFF??

As for the rest....I think I'm better off living in ignorance.

Wingmanning: Going out with the intention to score for yourself but to help your "pilot" (I think that's the term) find someone he could relate to.
    BFF: Best Friend Forever. Synonymous with "close friend" or your "best bro!"
    PUA: Pick up artist. Some incredibly crazy book was published about how to pick up women, it involved lots of military talk and extreme tactics in reeling in a woman for a score. Saddos because they failed to realise that "wingman" became really popular after loads of guys saw Top Gun, loved the bromance between the Tom Cruise and Goose/Val Kilmar, etc. and wanted to live in a high powered 80s world of hot guys with hot chicks.
    Negging: The art of telling a woman you don't think she's all that hot, so you show you're not desperate for her and could do better if you wanted and therefore she'll come running to you.

I guess if you watch a lot of ****ty American comedy this comes naturally to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

If your friend is looking to meet someone to start a relationship with the best thing to do while he's talking to a girl he's interested in is ask her for her number and tell her he'd like to bring her out. If that fails grab her ass and at the same time tell her she's got great tits (even if she doesn't.) Chances are she will feel so flattered she will want babies with him

blacklilly wrote: »
    If your friend is looking to meet someone to start a relationship with the best thing to do while he's talking to a girl he's interested in is ask her for her number and tell her he'd like to bring her out. If that fails grab her ass and at the same time tell her she's got great tits (even if she doesn't.) Chances are she will feel so flattered she will want babies with him

No wonder he was getting nowhere! He was grabbing arse and tit commenting before he asked for the number. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Christ.

Go outside and play and enjoy your summer OP.

cson wrote: »
    Christ.

Go outside and play and enjoy your summer OP.

First off: I'm not allowed out after my bath.
    Secondly: The ice-cream van only serves herion and recycled syringes at this hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

blacklilly wrote: »
    If your friend is looking to meet someone to start a relationship with the best thing to do while he's talking to a girl he's interested in is ask her for her number and tell her he'd like to bring her out. If that fails grab her ass and at the same time tell her she's got great tits (even if she doesn't.) Chances are she will feel so flattered she will want babies wth him

No wonder he was getting nowhere! He was grabbing arse and tit commenting before he asked for the number. :o

Well at least you can now give him some proper advice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement