Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a second hand phone?

• 15-07-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭

Would you do it?

I was quite shocked when i brought a new phone into work and was told for that price you could have nearly got a second had IPhone from one of the Chinese unblocking shop.

I was disgusted and told them a lot of the time some poor girl was probably punched in the head and her phone taking.

I was then confronted by just under half the staff trying to justify them buying a phone from one of these shops. What was shocking was I didnt realize so many people bought phones second hand.

I think anybody that would buy one of these phones are scum and just as bad as the people stealing them.

So would you buy one of these phones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Would you do it?

I was quite shocked when i brought a new phone into work and was told for that price you could have nearly got a second had IPhone from one of the Chinese unblocking shop.

I was disgusted and told them a lot of the time some poor girl was probably punched in the head and her phone taking.

I was then confronted by just under half the staff trying to justify them buying a phone from one of these shops. What was shocking was I didnt realize so many people bought phones second hand.

I think anybody that would buy one of these phones are scum and just as bad as the people stealing them.

I think people who have iPhones and don't know how to spell it properly are the real scum of the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Would you do it?

I think you're just pissed off because you paid full price for your phone that you could've got for cheaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I think the threads on after hours today are of an extremely poor quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I think the threads on after hours today are of an extremely poor quality

I agree. If I get drunk later I might post something stupid.

I'm overdue for a disaster thread I think;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

1ZRed wrote: »
    I think people who have iPhones and don't know how to spell it properly are the real scum of the earth.

I dont have an iPhone, my phone is a samsung.
    I think you're just pissed off because you paid full price for your phone that you could've got for cheaps.

Nope, I'd never buy stuff I thought was stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I wouldn't buy a second hand phone unless it was off a friend or something.
    If you're buying a phone that's stolen you're just as bad as the person who stole it, probably dumber though for actually paying for it. Can you hear the bitterness I have after losing several phones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I didn't know that was where phones in Chinese unblocking shops came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

ive bought a few phones from adverts.ie

I wouldn't see a problem with it at all. you can judge for yourself if the seller seems like the phone robbing scum type. presuming that all second hand phones are stolen is ridiculous. I keep most of my phones for less than a year, what should I do with them when i upgrade?

mawk wrote: »

I wouldn't see a problem with it at all. you can judge for yourself if the seller seems like the phone robbing scum type. presuming that all second hand phones are stolen is ridiculous. I keep most of my phones for less than a year, what should I do with them when i upgrade?

Donate them to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I was disgusted and punched some poor girl in the head and took her phone.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

mawk wrote: »

I'm not really talking about second hand phones from adverts or a family member. I'm specifically talking about the unblocking shops selling second hand iphone 4s or the latest HTC/samsung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's a bit like cars I guess.

Some people want to have the newest thing and some people are more cleverer and wait til those people want the next new thing and buy the once new thing after the original owner has taken the depreciation hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I wouldn't. Handset could be stolen and blacklisted or liquid damaged underneath. I'd rather get a new phone and a warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I'd buy one yes, them being cheaper means Id have more money for sweets.

So you're saying that ALL of the phones they sell are stolen? :eek:

You should probably tell the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Donate them to charity.

So we should all donate our cars, tv's, laptops and other valuable items to charity when they become surplus to requirements then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I'm not really talking about second hand phones from adverts or a family member. I'm specifically talking about the unblocking shops selling second hand iphone 4s or the latest HTC/samsung.

Yeah I'd say loads of those are stolen. Wasn't there a thread a few months ago where someone saw their own phone being sold in a shop like that in Dublin?

So we should all donate our cars, tv's, laptops and other valuable items to charity when they become surplus to requirements then?

Yes, donate to those less fortunate. It's only fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If you're gonna spend 400 odd quid on a phone, why would you buy a second hand, probably knock off piece of **** phone from a chinese store full of people who'd sell you that phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I only buy second hand phones really. Other people's unwanted upgrades, ones they hardly used and didn't like. They're unlocked too and usually a decent saving over what they cost in the shop where they might well be sim-locked
    cloud493 wrote: »
    If you're gonna spend 400 odd quid on a phone, why would you buy a second hand, probably knock off piece of **** phone from a chinese store full of people who'd sell you that phone?

I spent 400 odd quid on a phone once (tiger, wouldn't do it now) but it would have cost well over 600 new. Wouldn't go near a chinese knock off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I've only ever bought a second hand phone once, from adverts, hadn't a bother with it to be fair...

I used to fix mobile phones at the time so had I had any trouble with it I could fix it in work...

These days though I'm not so sure I would!

In regard to the OPs phone, I doubt all the phones you see in Chinese shops are robbed, especially iPhone's, as they have to be connected to Itunes etc, I'm sure alarm bells ring in Apple if an IMEI duplicate or a robbed phone lands on their servers.... I could be wrong, dunno much about Apple products...

Android is a different beast, surely a wipe of the phone and reflash would sort that problem of being caught out....

Anyway, any phone can be IMEI barred from the network by Voda 02 etc...

Some of them will work for a week, then eventually you start losing signal slowly, and then can only read texts, then it usually won't pick up any network after a bit...

(unless you move country, then it will work)

• Advertisement

Fieldog wrote: »
    I've only ever bought a second hand phone once, from adverts, hadn't a bother with it to be fair...

I used to fix mobile phones at the time so had I had any trouble with it I could fix it in work...

These days though I'm not so sure I would!

In regard to the OPs phone, I doubt all the phones you see in Chinese shops are robbed, especially iPhone's, as they have to be connected to Itunes etc, I'm sure alarm bells ring in Apple if an IMEI duplicate or a robbed phone lands on their servers.... I could be wrong, dunno much about Apple products...

Android is a different beast, surely a wipe of the phone and reflash would sort that problem of being caught out....

Anyway, any phone can be IMEI barred from the network by Voda 02 etc...

Some of them will work for a week, then eventually you start losing signal slowly, and then can only read texts, then it usually won't pick up any network after a bit...

You seem to know a lot of information about the second hand/stolen phone trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

You seem to know a lot of information about the second hand/stolen phone trade.
    Yep, probably because, as he said, he used to work fixing phones...?Bit like querying a locksmith for his knowledge of burglaries.:confused:

Pottler wrote: »
    Yep, probably because, as he said, he used to work fixing phones...?Bit like querying a locksmith for his knowledge of burglaries.:confused:

Yes "fixing"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Yes "fixing"
    It's a bit like the word "repairing".
    As in, "I've fixed that car you brought in Jesus shaves".
    "Ahh, so you admit to stealing my car, you bastard!"
    "No, yea headbanger, I've fixed it, now feck off"

Pottler wrote: »
    It's a bit like the word "repairing".
    As in, "I've fixed that car you brought in Jesus shaves".
    "Ahh, so you admit to stealing my car, you bastard!"
    "No, yea headbanger, I've fixed it, now feck off"

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Yes, i would buy a phone from there if its original thing.
    No, i havent bought one.
    Yes, i have bought a second hand phone from a non-chinese shop before.

As said before it is silly to assume you are buying stolen phone. Do you know that China - the "poor country" is so much ahead us in what comes to mobile phones and computers and for some reason (i dont know what reason, but all my chinese friends in actual China do it) people there change their phones unbelievably often. Every few months its usual that they give their old phone back to the shop and get upgrade for cheaper then. At same time these second hand phones are sold mostly elsewhere (think of population of China, how many used phones there is if even 1% of population trades in their old phone every few months).

There. Nuff said.
    Im serious. They are tech-mad to get newest of newest and i know many chinese people in their homeland there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

Maby because the country is in Recession and not everybody has the money to go and buy a brand new Iphone !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

No I wouldn't.
    My phone is a brick.
    Not going to go robbing people to be trendy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Fieldog wrote: »

im a doctor jim, not a telecoms technician.. but how the crap does that make any sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Where are these shops you talk of? I need a new phone and dont want to fork out full cost for a new one...

Them shops on.... I don't know what its called, but you go down to get to parnell street and chapters. Quite a few of them there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Will someone buy me a new phone ? My daughter dropped my New HTC x one down the toilet Wednesday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I bought a few secondhand phones on ebay years ago.

Once the seller forgot to wipe off his videos and left one of his girlfriend/wife sucking him off. She did swallow, so i left him positive feedback on ebay;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

All those Chinese shops look for ID when you sell them your phone or trade it for another one.

They DON'T buy stolen phones and if they did, you'd get your money back if you could show it had been stolen.

I have bought a number of phones of them over the years and sold many to them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I think you're a bit narrow minded thinking that.

Personally I always go for a new one when buying but as for that mentality of "awh you coulda got..."

Tell them to fúck off and mind their own business, in nice way of course. You're not stuck for what you spent. You always get people saying stuff like that. They actually ARE stingy cúnts. Just won't admit it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Jay D wrote: »
    IYou always get people saying stuff like that. They actually ARE stingy cúnts. Just won't admit it.

Or they might be broke.

Last time when i bought a phone, my old one gave up more and more day after day. First few buttons stopped working so i couldnt dial any numbers with 3 or 7 in it. To call to these numbers i had to take some number in my contact list that had 7's and 3's in it and edit it without saving edited number to ring to anyone containing 3's and 7's. Then few more buttons gave up and i could only receive calls. No chance of ringing out or txting.

Eventually the phone just died. AT the time i had no job, hence no money. I needed the phone to receive possible calls for cv's that i had sent out.
    So i bought a used crap old phone for 29.99 but at least it worked.
    Still working btw, one year on.

And no, i don't think it was stolen as it was just old outdated version...like really outdated, so i assume owner just sold it to the shop.
    No, it wasnt chinese shop.

Probably when i buy my next phone i buy it new, but i don't see why anyone would be calling people who buy something second-hand "stingy *****".

Not all used phones are stolen, not all used laptops are stolen, not all used cars are stolen. I am certain stolen goods sold are making up minority and probably not in them shops, but by other channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Nah, I wouldn't buy one second-hand. Not 'cause I'd be afraid of it being stolen but because it might be shít and have problems, then once I've bought it, there's no going back. I'd rather pay the full price and be guaranteed good quality..

I bought a second hand phone a few years ago off the market. Had an amusing video on it called the Jizzard of oz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Like I'm going to admit that I would to you and have you think of me as scum. :D

Advertisement