Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door scam

Options
  • 15-07-2012 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

2 girls around 10-14 years old collecting for St Margarets school, when questioned she said St Margarets Navan.
    Spotted a boy around the same age also collecting on the other side of the road, he was very pissed off having to do the collecting as nobody was entertaining him.
    Checked and couldn't find a St Margarets school in Navan.
    Dublin 7 area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

nudger wrote: »
    2 girls around 10-14 years old collecting for St Margarets school, when questioned she said St Margarets Navan.
    Spotted a boy around the same age also collecting on the other side of the road, he was very pissed off having to do the collecting as nobody was entertaining him.
    Checked and couldn't find a St Margarets school in Navan.
    Dublin 7 area.

They have a St Margarets Football sponsor card to.
    I grilled him obviously. Kid was a great actor, pretended he was a little 'slow'.
    Heard him later on with a traveller accent.

You live in swords?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Aisling1989

Have you contacted the Gards re this?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DELTATIP

Traveller - children aging 10-13 trying to sell knock off / fake perfumes in the Upper Fairhill area Cork City yesterday

This operation has to be motivated by adults :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

They have a St Margarets Football sponsor card to.
    I grilled him obviously. Kid was a great actor, pretended he was a little 'slow'.
    Heard him later on with a traveller accent.

You live in swords?

Same one's I'd say.
    This was 5 ish on the Navan road Dublin7.
    She mentioned her mother was in a car close by.

Have you contacted the Gards re this?

Just alerting boardies to dodgy collections, don't think they are up to much else as after they ring the door they move to the next house quickly, not hanging around to ring a few times to see if anyone is home.
    If this had been the case then AGS might have been buzzed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I think anyone coming around collecting for a school at this time of year is very suspicous as the schools are all on holidays!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The same kids 'collecting' for St. Margarets where in Dublin 15 on Friday. Saw them as I drove up so sat in the car until they wandered off, they didn't. The little wagon came over to the car and started banging on the car window at me ! Told her I had no money but she still knocked on the house door a few minutes later.

There was a car with who presumably was her mother and someone else were driving around after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The same kids 'collecting' for St. Margarets where in Dublin 15 on Friday. Saw them as I drove up so sat in the car until they wandered off, they didn't. The little wagon came over to the car and started banging on the car window at me ! Told her I had no money but she still knocked on the house door a few minutes later.

There was a car with who presumably was her mother and someone else were driving around after them.

Did you get the reg of the car they were in and report them?

There back this evening 6 kids the first 3 are with them and 2 cars following behind them, running door to door.
    Tried to get through to Cabra station 4 times, phone kept ringing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Kids going around Ballyfermot looking for sponsorship for St. Matthews boxing club and it has nothing to do with the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If you get one of these coming to your house, call the guards asap. They may have a unit in the area who can check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

What can the cops do to kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

They're teenagers (well some of them) so can be prosecuted. Also you can guarantee there are adults not too far away who can be prosecuted for orchestrating it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's not just kids. There's been plenty of reports of bogus collectors in north Co Dublin 'working' for various entities: sports clubs, community groups etc... Iirc some Malahide sports club and others from NCD were mentioned and also the Baldoyle Community Forum which never does door-to-door.

It's more what can the cops do to the parents who are pimping their kids out begging.
    To be honest there are a lot of frail OAP'S in the area and they are vulnerable to these wide kids who would be in the door in a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

The school kids belong to the "Travelling Community". They don't go to the schools, hence the sketchy knowledge of what they are supposed to be collecting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Usually get similar "will you sponsor me" kids calling around the Santry area at least once a month. Obviously dodgy with the crude piece of paper with names scrawled on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

2 boys came to my door 2 weeks ago collecting for 'St Margarets football club in Dublin'. They were great little actors and I grilled them. They had traveller accents also. Gave them €2. I probably shouldn't have but I felt a bit sorry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

And that's why this scam continues to go on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭seanhalpin

lukesmom wrote: »
    2 boys came to my door 2 weeks ago collecting for 'St Margarets football club in Dublin'. They were great little actors and I grilled them. They had traveller accents also. Gave them €2. I probably shouldn't have but I felt a bit sorry for them.

Too damn right you shouldn't have. It is this carry on that perpetuates the scam. It makes it worth their while.

You should have told them to go get fcuked up the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

lukesmom wrote: »

How exactly do you define a 'traveller accent'?

Lars1916 wrote: »

D'ya like DAGS?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Tell you what, come down to me today in Tallaght and I'll walk you by the halting site. You can learn first hand how to define the traveller accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

As different to the accent of a settled person.

On a side not, people should know that it's not only travellers at this scam and it's not every traveller in the country that are at it.

Maybe after 8 years in the country, I should be able to spot out the difference between a 'traveller accent' and the accent, someone has, who lives in a 'rough' area? :confused:

Maybe after 8 years in the country, I should be able to spot out the difference between a 'traveller accent' and the accent, someone has, who lives in a 'rough' area? :confused:

To be perfectly honest, yes. They are quite different and could be spotted a country mile away.

For a newcomer maybe, but 8 years you ought to be able to differentiate. It's not just accent, the look, mannerisms and dress style are also distinctive.

seanhalpin wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, yes. They are quite different and could be spotted a country mile away.

For a newcomer maybe, but 8 years you ought to be able to differentiate. It's not just accent, the look, mannerisms and dress style are also distinctive.

Most of them are wearing school uniforms, just to mention it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

of course you can/should be able to tell a traveller accent if you have spent any reasonable length of time in ireland.

this scam happens regularly in the area im in and most if not all that I have witnessed doing it are locals from the area

of course you can/should be able to tell a traveller accent if you have spent any reasonable length of time in ireland.

this scam happens regularly in the area im in and most if not all that I have witnessed doing it are locals from the area

Sorry, but I can't do that. It never really bothered me, if it was a traveller's kid annoying me, or just a local kid without manners and/or some rude language. That's why I never tried to spot out the difference between different accents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

they're at it again tonight, going door to door, with their hands out, expecting me yo give them something

Advertisement