Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door scam

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

they're at it again tonight, going door to door, with their hands out, expecting me yo give them something

At it as well out my way, some of them are even dressing up as vampires and demanding sweets or they will play a trick on me .... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Sorry, but I can't do that. It never really bothered me, if it was a traveller's kid annoying me, or just a local kid without manners and/or some rude language. That's why I never tried to spot out the difference between different accents.

you are not making much sense. You initially ask how you can tell a travellers accent, people reply, now you are claiming you can/wont anyway -so why ask?

I too couldnt give a **** if it is a traveller or not -they both get told "no thanks" anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

you are not making much sense. You initially ask how you can tell a travellers accent, people reply, now you are claiming you can/wont anyway -so why ask?

I too couldnt give a **** if it is a traveller or not -they both get told "no thanks" anyway

I was asking out of curiosity, tbh.

Let's put it this way, if I was asked in a decent manner, I'm more than happy to give something. And I need to know, if they are collecting for a genuine cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I just say that I only give to children I know. I've had too many of these little scammers call to the door.

There are far and away so many charities that between friends, family and colleagues I give away enough - in addition to my own favourite ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

How exactly do you define a 'traveller accent'?

How many accents can you 'define'! :)

Nonetheless, different accents do exist. Julia Roberts in "Michael Collins" was clearly trying out a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

donaghs wrote: »
    How many accents can you 'define'! :)

Nonetheless, different accents do exist. Julia Roberts in "Michael Collins" was clearly trying out a few.

I would say Cork, the 6 Counties, Scotland, Australia, South Africa, London, Liverpool...and Dublin, because it sounds different from the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Because I haven't spent the past 32 years under a rock

seanhalpin wrote: »

Too damn right you shouldn't have. It is this carry on that perpetuates the scam. It makes it worth their while.

You should have told them to go get fcuked up the hole.

Yeah you are right, I won't be so stupid next time they call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

"Do you like dags?"
    "Wana buy a set of sokits?"
    "Wana buy a new rugs, we have all the latest?"

OneIdea wrote: »
    "Do you like dags?"
    "Wana buy a set of sokits?"
    "Wana buy a new rugs, we have all the latest?"

Would ye like yeor gutthers cleared missis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

lukesmom wrote: »
    Would ye like yeor gutthers cleared missis?
    "...or some devedees, we also do the half inch three inch tamak"

Sorry for the OT OP...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Their Gutther cleaning is a scam too from what i've seen. Unless ou watch them, teywill do nothing more than throw a leaf or two from their pockets into the garden. €20 for climbing a ladder is a bit rich. My guttersneeded a clear out in the summer, so I let them do the front of the house and I watched. They didn't have change of a €50 though :D

Wanted me to pay them €50 and promised to bring back change :rolleyes:

Bring me €30 and you get €50 I say annd I was surprised they didn't even call back!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

goz83 wrote: »
    Their Gutther cleaning is a scam too from what i've seen. Unless ou watch them, teywill do nothing more than throw a leaf or two from their pockets into the garden. €20 for climbing a ladder is a bit rich. My guttersneeded a clear out in the summer, so I let them do the front of the house and I watched. They didn't have change of a €50 though :D

Wanted me to pay them €50 and promised to bring back change :rolleyes:

Bring me €30 and you get €50 I say annd I was surprised they didn't even call back!

They've been doing that one around Dublin lately...although, I think the one that came to my house was more interested in scoping out the place to rob. It was about 11am one morning a few weeks ago, and the doorbell rang a few times. There was a good bit of knocking as well. As the OH went to the door to check it out, the letterbox opened! OH opened the door and this traveller nearly jumped out of his skin. He said he was doing work next door (which he wasn't) and did we want the gutters done. Needless to say, the OH politely declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

mosi wrote: »
    They've been doing that one around Dublin lately...although, I think the one that came to my house was more interested in scoping out the place to rob. It was about 11am one morning a few weeks ago, and the doorbell rang a few times. There was a good bit of knocking as well. As the OH went to the door to check it out, the letterbox opened! OH opened the door and this traveller nearly jumped out of his skin. He said he was doing work next door (which he wasn't) and did we want the gutters done. Needless to say, the OH politely declined.

We get this every bank holiday , usually on the Friday or the Sat .... quite obviously looking to see who is away.

Had them knocking one time at 22:30 at night !

Advertisement