Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog escaping - what can I do?

• 15-07-2012 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Ok, recently found a dog and found it's owner. Have since found this dog twice. Speaking to my neighbour, she has picked her up 4 times!

The dog is basically playing with the traffic. Whilst I do understand a dog can escape this s getting ridiculous. Neighbour has said she has seen her a few other times too but hasnt picked her up..

Local rescue are aware as we both contacted when we found the little thing.

So my question is, is there anything I can do about it? This is I the space of four weeks.

I'm afraid the dog will get run over or cause a crash.

I'm tempted not to return her the next time I find her (there will be a next time). Owner is happy to have her back and is grateful etc... But is doing nothing to secure the dog.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Is the owner old or just lazy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Invite her around for a cuppa and a biscuit, and tell her how you feel about it, and ask her if she really wants the dog, or if she would like some help with making the garden more secure, a few nails and a roll of chicken wire isn't exactly breaking the bank..

If she doesn't seem reasonable or responsible and actually take some action or your help, then it's an accident waiting to happen... so don't wait too long. Animal Rescue will be happy to issue a fine or rehome the dog.

Vince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,

From past experience, I would say she doesn't give a toss to be honest. The next time you take the dog, don't hand it back to the owner, hand it to the pound or ring the dog warden to collect it and give them the owners details. If she has to pay the release fees every time she lets the dog loose she'll not be too long changing her ways. The local rescue is, at the most a registered charity, rescues have no powers to enforce dog control laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Thanks all.

No, not old, I thought that at first. Seems to "love" the dog and happy to have returned but not too bothered about it going AWOL. Its a friendly dog and will just walk with anyone who passes. I go on a 10k walk and it happily tagged along and cane home with me and my girl.

The thing is I know someone who would happily take her in and love/look after. The poor dog also had worms and v matted coat.

Suppose I'm just venting as I spoke to neighbour who said she picked her up again a couple of days ago. I'm terrified she will get knocked over or cause a crash. We live where there are lots of dog walkers (open space) so the only saving grace is that one of us will pick her up

I did ask the local rescue to ask her to surrender (as I know someone to tak
    e her) but they said no, the owner I mean

I am thinking next time not returning. Owner said he will get her microchipped but that means nothing if she can escape.

AJ, might be an idea with the pound. Do they give enough time before dog is pts? They don't have a proper garden which is the main issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, you could try ringing the dog warden and asking him/her to call around to the owner to do some wrist-slapping. Depends where you live though, some wardens are really good at cage-rattling, others aren't.
    Just to reiterate what AJ said, animal rescues do not issue fines and have no right to rehome a dog unless it has been officially surrendered to them or done its 5 days in the county pound.
    If the dog does end up in the pound, again different pounds have different policies. Some work with rescues, some actively rehome dogs themselves, and others just put everythign to sleep if not claimed, so your whereabouts would dictate what the dog's chances are should it end up in the pound.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

explain the dangers of the situation (ie dog playing with traffic,could cause a fatality etc)and if that doesnt get through to the owner,say the next time you or anybody else sees the dog - its for the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

just rehome the dog! The poor thing is unlikely to make it out of the pound, would be nice if he got a chance of a good life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Thanks for the replies. Thats why I dont want to go near the pound. I know of I lost my dog or if I found one, id like someone to take her in or try a rescue. The pound seems "final" to me.

Might ring the warden. As said. I know someone to take her. Unless they sort out living arrangements for the dog it's going to keep happening.

I know another dog that is also left to roam. After countless times returning to owner who says "hes just going for his daily walk" I just have to leave that one be. This new one ne though is still at puppy stages where the other one is mature if that makes any sense. It's not right but he does seem to know what he's doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

frogstar wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Thats why I dont want to go near the pound. I know of I lost my dog or if I found one, id like someone to take her in or try a rescue. The pound seems "final" to me.

If you know someone who would love to rehome the dog, then why not go the pound route, and tell them that if the owner does not turn up, they are to contact you and you will take the dog. If the owner doesn't collect the dog, then clearly she doesn't care enough and you can rehome the dog with a clear conscience

Advertisement