Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bset tablet for a novice

Options
  • 15-07-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hello All,

Thinking of buying my first tablet and just wondering which to choose. The new IPAD looks great but at around €600 is probably too expensive. The DISGO 9104 got a great review on the right hook on news****. This is priced at £180 on Amazon.
    Essentially I will use this for browing the web, downloading apps, watching movies and taking photo's and videos.

All help appreciated....what would you recommend for me?

Comments

In my opinion you have two main choices:
    Either the new Google Nexus 7 or a refurbished iPad 2
    The Nexus is being released next week, is an Android 7 inch tablet and around €260. By far the best value Android tablet available.
    A refurbished iPad 2 is around €320, virtually same as the new iPad but the new iPad has a better screen (more pixels). 9.7 inch screen. 12 month warranty (same as new)
    Biggest difference is screen size iPad is bigger.
    Nexus is bit more powerful. Quadcore vs. Dualcore
    Ipad might be a bit simpler to use but the software is more restrictive.

What sort of phone have you? Do you have an Android or Iphone, or have you ever used either? because if you did, it might make your choice easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

You want to use it to take photos and videos?

AltAccount wrote: »
    You want to use it to take photos and videos?
    By the way the Nexus has no rear camera. And have to agree with AltAccount, tablets are not great for taking photos and videos, but great for viewing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bensboys

In my opinion you have two main choices:
    Either the new Google Nexus 7 or a refurbished iPad 2
    The Nexus is being released next week, is an Android 7 inch tablet and around €260. By far the best value Android tablet available.
    A refurbished iPad 2 is around €320, virtually same as the new iPad but the new iPad has a better screen (more pixels). 9.7 inch screen. 12 month warranty (same as new)
    Biggest difference is screen size iPad is bigger.
    Nexus is bit more powerful. Quadcore vs. Dualcore
    Ipad might be a bit simpler to use but the software is more restrictive.

What sort of phone have you? Do you have an Android or Iphone, or have you ever used either? because if you did, it might make your choice easier.

Thanks for all the information, currently I am using an android phone (HTC Wildfire). The idea of an ipad sounds good though, are the refurbished ones reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bensboys

By the way the Nexus has no rear camera. And have to agree with AltAccount, tablets are not great for taking photos and videos, but great for viewing them.

I only mentioned the camera and video as a handy tool to have to take quick snaps or videos of the children. I already have quite a good digital camera and camcorder.

Thanks for the information.

• Advertisement

They are tested by apple and have the same one year warranty as a new one. Stock varies considerably so best to keep an eye on the refurbished section of the apple store. The price I quoted is the normal price of the 16Gb Wi-Fi version. The iPad would be grand for quick snaps, but a bit awkward to hold while taking photos. But as long as you have a camera as well that shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Newbridge Exile

wextext wrote: »
    They are tested by apple and have the same one year warranty as a new one. Stock varies considerably so best to keep an eye on the refurbished section of the apple store. The price I quoted is the normal price of the 16Gb Wi-Fi version. The iPad would be grand for quick snaps, but a bit awkward to hold while taking photos. But as long as you have a camera as well that shouldn't be a problem.
    I bought this one from Amazon last week, very happy with it so far, mainly use it for facebook, internet, viewing photos, videos
    http://techlogon.com/2012/02/11/natpc-m009s-review-cheap-android-tablet/

Advertisement