Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bed bugs!! Help!

Options
  • 15-07-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi All!!

I am going doing the camino de santiago in 2 weeks time and have heard that there is a lot of bed bugs....

does anybody know how I can prevent this from happening?

I am located in Cork.

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Unless they're really big bedbugs I reckon the travel forum might be a bit more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

not the kind of bug out we know about around here :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

bring your own liner and coat that in insect repellant? be careful of which one though the one for the skin can damage clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

mawk wrote: »
    not the kind of bug out we know about around here :-P
    Unless you're looking for a good recipe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Deerhound

sheesh wrote: »
    bring your own liner and coat that in insect repellant? be careful of which one though the one for the skin can damage clothes

That is a good suggestion an is what I would do. Some companies impregnate their liners for you. I don't know how effective they are but it is some peace of mind.

I had a quick look online, couldn't find anything in Mahers or Outdoor Adventure Stores but found something in 53 Degrees North. Hope this helps!
    http://www.53degreesnorth.ie/lifeventure-ex3-cotton-sleeper-rectangular.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Bring a poncho, sleep outside. No bed, no beg bugs (presumably).

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Just buy a large can of nomorebugs and spray the bed with it.
    Bedbugs killed in 2 seconds or your money back !:D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_cjrILVe632A/TH0z2fkf8vI/AAAAAAAAARo/Yd6Coc7ffhQ/s1600/flamethrower+really+worried+dot+blogspot+dot+com.jpg

I did the Camino (well, part of it!) a couple of years back.

Don't know where you intend to sleep (I'll presume the pilgrims hostels), we brought a tent with us in case we couldn't find anywhere, but there are loads of small hotels in stopover towns that are very reasonably priced - which is where we stayed most of the time! And didn't have any trouble with bed bugs!

Best of luck, you'll have a blast! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tatankbull

I know a few people who've done parts of this trail, including staying in the dorm accommodations, and none have complained about bedbugs since then. I would say if you're particularly paranoid about the parasites (which I am) you should place all your clothes into black bags when you return home, inspect your rucksacks visually for any bugs and then wash and dry on high temperature all your clothes.

Advertisement