Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS / wifi location tracking privacy concerns

• 15-07-2012 6:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭

Android noob here. Should i be worried about GPS and wifi tracking on my htc desire? Or am i suffering from tinfoil hat syndrome... What do you guys recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

once you are careful with the apps you install i dont think youll have any problems. as for google knowing what im doing - ive accepted a long time ago that google (through maps, gmail, search, etc) know more about me that i do.

personally i wouldnt worry about it and id just get on with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

But why the hell would non-google apps want to know where I am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

skoomi wrote: »
    But why the hell would non-google apps want to know where I am?

Many apps would have legitimate reasons for GPS use. For instance apps for monitoring jogs/runs/walks/cycles by mapping your route as you do it and giving you good statistics at the end. Others like weather apps may want it.

You should be more careful about the apps you choose, so if an app is looking for location access with Wifi and GPS then be sure the publisher of the app is trustworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

You can also turn of the GPS/WIFI when not in use. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭skoomi

Don't worry I've tweaked the sh!t out of my phone with PDroid and Droidwall so no more privacy concerns ever.

• Advertisement

skoomi wrote: »
    Don't worry I've tweaked the sh!t out of my phone with PDroid and Droidwall so no more privacy concerns ever.

Might have a look at these apps as well thanks. You never knew what could be installing on your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭j0ey2069

I've found LBE Privacy Guard to be a great app when it comes to this. It's got firewalling, it manages all apps access to SMS, contacts, location, etc. and it also can monitor and limit your data usage! It's really good!

j0ey2069 wrote: »
    I've found LBE Privacy Guard to be a great app when it comes to this. It's got firewalling, it manages all apps access to SMS, contacts, location, etc. and it also can monitor and limit your data usage! It's really good!

Thanks joey need something like this, also try opera mini to conserve your bandwidth. :)

Advertisement