Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stabbings at swedish house mafia gig in uk

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

The Mafia have stilettos. . .

Omerta. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

LH Pathe wrote: »
    if a riot didnt happen at a rock show i'd be ****ing upset. im often, left upset.. should do exactly what it says on the tin. a knife down the sock under the false premise of love and ecstasy is just a copout. its still false even without the knifes, besides you'd get more stabbings at one of these than the history of rock n roll based events combined

its pretty obvious rave and rap is doing electronic music no favours. the trickys, the richard D's drowned out by the denizens of neds and their primitive mating beat some software pre-programmed - its ruining kids' musical and intellectual potential, too easy and its taking all the potentially good ones - no wonder they pulled top of the pops who wants to watch some nerd on his pc in a boothe in the corner... lots of people; clearly thats why he became the main event.

Yet again your inability to make a point in plain English leaves me somewhat baffled.

Riot or disorder at metal/rock gigs appears to be acceptable to you even when it leads to multiple deaths as moshing is part of the culture of such events. I was at the Smashing Pumpkins gig in Dublin in 1996 and was knocked down in the crush at the front of the stage that left one girl dead and lots more injured and it was absolutley terrifying. I was also at Roskilde when nine people were killed in a crush. I didn't see it happen but I was there and heard first hand that it was caused by assholes who were moshing. But hey, sure thats all acccepatable because it's rock and roll.

I have been to thousands of dance music events and I have never seen any kind of serious violence or disorder like that. Never.

What happened last week in Dublin had nothing to do with the type of music the Swedish House Mafia play, which incidentally, I think is utter sh1te.

As stated in my last post you are free to like any kind of music you want, but your generalisations are idiotic. Blaming the music for the way people act is what I would expect a redneck TD/Joe Duffy caller to do. Calling everyone who goes to such events Neds (Glasgow word for a scumbag) is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Yet again your inability to make a point in plain English leaves me somewhat baffled.

I rarely respond to this, but some of what followed reads like The Sun!

Those moderate crushes happened at pretty much all large-scale events prior to the introduction of crowd segregation.

Those moderate crushes happened at pretty much all large-scale events prior to the introduction of crowd segregation.

Well I'm sure thats a great comfort for the families of the bereaved.

Nine people dead is not what I would consider a moderate crush.

what card are you playing now.. you get crowd surges at huge gatherings regardless of which field theyre in, whats your point? manslaughter or murder?

/ lets just say if theres something onstage worth watching, people will clamour. not like the neds stood around with their hands in their pockets at that thing scoping out anything but the droll 'puter rockers on the stage itself..

what card are you playing now.. you get crowd surges at huge gatherings regardless of which field theyre in, whats your point? manslaughter or murder?

The general gist of your argument is that everyone into dance music event is a scumbag. Therefore, you are calling me scumbag.

The reason I brought up examples of crush events leading to fatalitites at rock/metal events is because they were caused by the bad behaviour of those attending.

naw man... people get crushed at large scale gatherings unsegregated regardless, i'm not gonna accuse some pacifist at mecca of causing deaths its just if you feel somethings worth it you will clamour to be closer thats all those deaths ever represent to me.

They tend to happen more at big gigs where people are moshing. The mosh pit opens up a bit back from the stage. If it becomes too aggressive people are pushed toward the front of the stage trying to get away from it.

Thats exactly what happened at the pumpkins gig in 96, and even when it was clear there was a serious problem lads kept getting up to crowd surf.

Out of curiosity have you evern been to a rave/techno night?

tons.

• Advertisement

If every one was a ned why did you go back after the first time?

(It felt so wrong.................. but you loved it didn't you?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Swedish House Mafia = Contempory war music (of a gorilla variety)?

If every one was a ned why did you go back after the first time?

(It felt so wrong.................. but you loved it didn't you?)

i hated it man.. friends were out for teh roide ahead of any music so i reluctantly went - did away with em, for it tbh..

others were rave themed festivals, with hybrid acts featuring actual musicality first n foremost being the reason but they were awash with technics d*cks as you can imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Swedish House Mafia = Contempory war music (of a gorilla variety)?

The Wolfe Tones of the last century.
    Things don't change much. . .

after two decades plus of the disco revival being embraced by seemingly just about everyone it really is embedded on weary folks conscience as the dumbest, most annoying non-musical excuse for a speed-date. you kids comfortable with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

If you can make it beyound the secont paragraph of Mr. Waters' Katy French eulogy, you're a braver person than I am.

Jesus :pac:

Having talked to a few people who were at the Phoenix Park and having read some of the blatantly made up newspaper articles I can safely say that the whole thing was blown completely out of proportion. The stabbings are indeed regrettable but if you look at the stats, 45,000 people there and 30 arrests (many of the arrests likely were for drug possesion or drunkenly giving lip to a cop. Not even all assaults). Been to three Oxegens in my time and not once have I ever seen even one fight yet the news some years makes it sound like the end of times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0714/1224320063780.html

They were selling a drug called "Death"? LOL :pac: Its like something off Brass Eye.

• Advertisement

Riot or disorder at metal/rock gigs appears to be acceptable to you even when it leads to multiple deaths as moshing is part of the culture of such events. I was at the Smashing Pumpkins gig in Dublin in 1996 and was knocked down in the crush at the front of the stage that left one girl dead and lots more injured and it was absolutley terrifying. I was also at Roskilde when nine people were killed in a crush. I didn't see it happen but I was there and heard first hand that it was caused by assholes who were moshing. But hey, sure thats all acccepatable because it's rock and roll.

Could you maybe post here about any gigs you're planning to go to in the future, just to give us a chance to avoid certain death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

So what you're saying is that unfortunate and tragic deaths at two concerts out of the hundreds if not thousands of heavy metal concerts that take place each year is a reason to stop moshing?

Your really are a pathetic little person.

Nah, your first comment makes you fairly pathetic, mate.

Some complete, ****ing idiots that attend these 'concerts' I'm disgusted. Gonna have to be a cultural overhaul that scene pretty much consumed all of our youth.. where i, come from anyhow in the article above I've noted the beatings, on women that were more like men anyhow n i just feel the need to say that it's still not alright.

Different scenes have different risks. Mosh pits at metal concerts; drugs at dance gigs; impulse to pedo a hot young wan at a boyband gig...

Brokentime wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that unfortunate and tragic deaths at two concerts out of the hundreds if not thousands of heavy metal concerts that take place each year is a reason to stop moshing?

No I haven't said that at all.

The general gist of the argument being put forward was "this kind of thing would never happen at a metal/rock gig"

I gave two specific examples of events I was at when the crowds behaviour got completley out of control leading directly to people being killed. I'm sure if you took the time to google it you could find lots more examples.

Excessive drinking, drug taking and brawling happens at all types of music events. Anyone old enough to have attended Feile in Thurles will know that people getting pissed and acting up at gigs wasn't just invented last weekend.

My opinion that labelling everyone who likes one form of music a scumbag is pathetic is not going to change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Back in the good old days, the mafia used to do their own stabbin's...now we have Swedish House brand of mafia getting into the kids' heads with subliminal Satanic (probably) messages and making them want to kill and maim....eh Joe.

No I haven't said that at all.

The general gist of the argument being put forward was "this kind of thing would never happen at a metal/rock gig"

I gave two specific examples of events I was at when the crowds behaviour got completley out of control leading directly to people being killed. I'm sure if you took the time to google it you could find lots more examples.

Excessive drinking, drug taking and brawling happens at all types of music events. Anyone old enough to have attended Feile in Thurles will know that people getting pissed and acting up at gigs wasn't just invented last weekend.

My opinion that labelling everyone who likes one form of music a scumbag is pathetic is not going to change.

Ahhhh, Feile... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Was just at Extrema in Aquabest (Netherlands) on the weekend.

Was my first time at an Electronic Dance type thing, wouldn't dream of going to one in Ireland because theres just too many Skangers at them.

Was a great party, no violence.

When the forecast was bad the Organisers spent around 100k euros on wooden flooring for the whole place, so there was no mucky pits around the stages, they also gave out free ponchos on the way in.

All in all I think Ireland does events (Concerts etc) really badly.

Sure if the drink is a rip off, the ticket costs a bomb and its a mucky mess inside the venue theres bound to be trouble.

People will just get hammered before they go in, then slipping all over the place won't help matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If I had to listen to a hour of SHM, I'd be fit to fucking stab somebody as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

The Entertainment Business attracts a certain type who have never grown out of their 5 year old ways like wanting to do hand stands for their parents and anyone else who'll watch .Surprisingly some have very good taste but in the main they are Flashy people who love Cars that resemble old Wurlitzer Jukeboxes and their lifestyles is made up of strange arrangements that they believe is marriage .They love being the centre of attention and brass(gold to them) buckles on overpriced shoes with pastel shades is how you can pick them out on grafton street .Greasy black hair that shines is de rigeur also .They dress like Criminals because they often have a similar backgrounds and mindsets .No breeding or stunted development may be the underlying reason .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭PeterStrauss The Second

paddyandy wrote: »
    The Entertainment Business attracts a certain type who have never grown out of their 5 year old ways like wanting to do hand stands for their parents and anyone else who'll watch .Surprisingly some have very good taste but in the main they are Flashy people who love Cars that resemble old Wurlitzer Jukeboxes and their lifestyles is made up of strange arrangements that they believe is marriage .They love being the centre of attention and brass(gold to them) buckles on overpriced shoes with pastel shades is how you can pick the out on grafton street .Greasy black hair that shines is de rigeur with them .They dress like Criminals because they often have a similar background and mindset .No breeding or stunted development may be the underlying reason .
    That's an awful load of tripe, the troublemakers are in the minority not the majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The Entertainment Business attracts a certain type who have never grown out of their 5 year old ways like wanting to do hand stands for their parents and anyone else who'll watch .Surprisingly some have very good taste but in the main they are Flashy people who love Cars that resemble old Wurlitzer Jukeboxes and their lifestyles is made up of strange arrangements that they believe is marriage .They love being the centre of attention and brass(gold to them) buckles on overpriced shoes with pastel shades is how you can pick them out on grafton street .Greasy black hair that shines is de rigeur also .They dress like Criminals because they often have a similar backgrounds and mindsets .No breeding or stunted development may be the underlying reason .

Right....I'll just take notes here...leprachaun buckles on the shoes="Entertainment business"....cars like "wurlitzer jukeboxes", "greasy black hair that shines" = "Entertainment business".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

ruddy right, no breeding at all, what-what!
    Scallywags the lot of them!
    Harump!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Are you Grandpa Simpson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

At Russian House Mafia concert, knife stabs you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Further proof that us Irish are no different than the Brits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

The general gist of your argument is that everyone into dance music event is a scumbag. Therefore, you are calling me scumbag.

The reason I brought up examples of crush events leading to fatalitites at rock/metal events is because they were caused by the bad behaviour of those attending.

I think the point he is making is the same as the travelers Vs crime argument... the amount of public order offences / injuries that take place at dance / trance / rave (or whatever ye kids are calling it these days) events is very disproportional as opposed to any other type of music event genre.

Not all people into this genre are scumbags BUT there is a diproportional amount that are.

.... doesnt help too that a disproportional amount of the general public find this type of music more irritating than any other genre. At least rock will hav been listened to by most of the public in one shape or form in their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Further proof that us Irish are no different than the Brits.

you're a very bad man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

They have the internet in the 1950's? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jesus.. you have it all worked out.

Keep up the good work, Officer Krupke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sadly there has been more trouble related to the Swedish House Mafia.

An all day/night event was held last all yesterday in Drogheda regarding the Swedish House Mafia, in a place called "Fusion" (Dominic Street).
    Personally seen the people arriving from all over the country by the bus loads.

Just been told that from it, one chap has died, 3 others fighting for their lives after taking E.
    The attendance was estimated at 1,200/1,400. There was Gardi there inside and out but still crap happened.
    Apparently it might have been a bad batch of drugs that someone handed out. There was other incidents as well. Details are just emerging and will probably in the news soon when they get wind of it and start digging.

One rape has also been reported and one Garda is also is hospital.

Before ye ask, there is no link to the news yet as ye are reading it here first.

Expect further news to emerge during the day on news websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Jammy Donut

****ing hell......

I think they should hold another gig, Only sell tickets to rapists/murderers etc... and put it on TV.

Would make awesome viewing in 3D :cool:

Advertisement