Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers for September wedding - HELP!

• 15-07-2012 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all

My friend is getting married this September and is in a bit of fluster about her wedding flowers. She has asked me to sort them out for her and I've no idea where to start. She lives in Dublin and the wedding is somewhere near Aughrim. So should I look for flowers in Dublin and bring them down or look for some near Aughrim? Also what's the best way to go about looking at prices - she's on a budget. She has given me a list of what she wants - the colour theme is cream roses.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

It depends on what's needed. Are church / ceremony flowers needed? If so its generally best to have the florist near the church so that they can decorate it. Otherwise you'll need someone to pick them up and set them up in the morning or night before the wedding. It's just a matter of going to florists and getting quotes then. Tell them the budget and ask them to work on that

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I used overtherainbowflowers.ie and found him good.
    You need to contact florists discuss what you want,what is in season and set a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I used overtherainbowflowers.ie and found him good.
    You need to contact florists discuss what you want,what is in season and set a budget.

OK. Will check them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

It depends on what's needed. Are church / ceremony flowers needed? If so its generally best to have the florist near the church so that they can decorate it. Otherwise you'll need someone to pick them up and set them up in the morning or night before the wedding. It's just a matter of going to florists and getting quotes then. Tell them the budget and ask them to work on that

Yes. She wants bride bouquet, 2 x bridesmaids, 2 x small flowergirls, 4 x button holes, 1 x mother 11 x pew and 1 x altar.
    Blossom Hill florists look local. Do you know anything about them?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Hold on, why are you sorting these out for her? It's her wedding, she should be the one sorting out her flowers, not you. It is really lazy of her to just be fobbing this off onto you - it takes no time to call up a few florists and ask for a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

bear in mind that roses are expensive - I had none in my flowers and the price dropped by €30 without me even asking - so if you/she isn't doing roses ask for a discount

Secondly often the church keep the flowers after the ceremony, so make sure the hotel is supplying flowers for the top table etc or find out if another couple is using the church on the same day/ before or after and talk to them about going halves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I've never seen a church keep the altar arrangement. Friends have always got it brough over and put on a stand at the entrance to the banquet hall or somewhere near the head table.
    OP, as said already, roses can be expensive, so if she's asking for cream roses you'll either end up with cheap poor quality roses or a large bill. Check with her what other options she may agree to if the florists quote you high.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭faganlesley

Monsclara wrote: »
    Hi all

My friend is getting married this September and is in a bit of fluster about her wedding flowers. She has asked me to sort them out for her and I've no idea where to start. She lives in Dublin and the wedding is somewhere near Aughrim. So should I look for flowers in Dublin and bring them down or look for some near Aughrim? Also what's the best way to go about looking at prices - she's on a budget. She has given me a list of what she wants - the colour theme is cream roses.
    Any ideas would be much appreciated
    Thanks

HI Monsclara,

I was trying to PM you but cant for some reason. If you PM me I can chat to you about the flowers. I run a florist in Dublin and can give free advise. No obligations just friendly advise xx

Advertisement