Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty items return shipping cost

Options
  • 15-07-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have recently bought an item from Germany and it has developed a fault I have troubleshooted with there support and it cannot be resolved and has to go back for repair.

My question is who is responsible for shipping they have confirmed the unit is faulty it would cost me a decent amount of money to send something to germany since I don't have an account or get a discount from a courier company.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

What company is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

are you allowed to post company names on this forum?

nobody will have heard of them they make light units for aquariums

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If the item is indeed faulty, then they are obliged to cover the cost of the postage. Initially, you may have to pay but they should reimburse you. Otherwise, they can arrange a courier return.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

Thank you for your quick reply can you advise if I this is just generally what companies do i.e. good customer service, or do I have rights under Irish/European law

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's not just custom and practice, afaik it's EU law that the consumer not end up out of pocket over returning a faulty item. That means all shipping costs will be borne by the retailer at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

cintec wrote: »
    Thank you for your quick reply can you advise if I this is just generally what companies do i.e. good customer service, or do I have rights under Irish/European law

You are entitled to this under European Consumer Law.

Advertisement