Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep positioners.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I would advise against using them.
    There have been reported cases were they have been the cause of infant deaths where the baby became trapped and could not roll back.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/managing-your-healthcare/sleep/articles/2010/09/29/infant-sleep-positioners-dangerous-us-health-officials-warn

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Iguana, I think they advise against any bumpers /pillows/ positioners/teddies etc in the baby's cot or crib, as they are potentially hazardous.

HSE guidlines currently recommend you put the baby in cot on their backs with its feet at the bottom of the crib/cot with a cellular blanket to armpit height with arms out, firmly tucked under the sides of the matteress. They also do not recommend swaddling.

We got told the above information in the Antenatal classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Definitely think I'll give them a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

iguana I'd say don't buy anything except the essentials until your baba is here and you figure out what they like and dislike. I laugh now when I look back at the things I bought when I was pregnant. I did my 'research' and I knew the best bouncy chair for posture, the best cot, the best high chair etc etc. My son had his own ideas and soon let me know that my well researched expensive bouncy chair was crap!

Yeah, they were recommended to me by someone to give as a gift to another new mother and I thought if I was buying one I might as well pick up another one for myself to get the free shipping. But I've decided to leave them. Even if at some point I decide to use them I wouldn't feel comfortable giving someone a gift that comes with a warning about safety.

Back to the gift buying drawing board. For some reason I'm finding it harder to buy a nice baby gift when I'm pregnant. It's like my ideas for what I want get in the way and I'm extra paranoid about safety. Every single thing I've decided on I have hated the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'd second not buying anything but the bare essentials before baby comes. We were lucky to get a load of hand me down equipment from a family member who had a baby last year and it was great as we were able to try things and see if they worked for our baby without the huge cost. Our baby hated a few of the 'must have' items so we're glad we didn't go mad stocking up on things. Even a good few of the babygros I had bought didn't suit as she was a long narrow baby, so even despite size guidelines we had to buy more and put the brand new ones away. If we have another, all I'll be stocking up on is nappies and cotton pads for the first few weeks as once you have some clothes, a car seat for coming home, somewhere for baby to sleep and the nappies, everything else can wait and is a great excuse for getting out of the house.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I tend to agree with buying some stuff after baby comes, because they are very much little individuals with their own mind. Our guy hated the buggy that I bought before he was born, I dont know if the straps were positioned for a bigger baby/ angle was wrong or what, but it was impossible to go anwhere with him in it, and I got serious cabin fever for the first month.

Then we were in a baby shop and saw a quinny frame on sale ex display, so we bought that - the car seat clipped into it, and I knew he liked that seat already, plus it faced me which I think comforts them when you are out and about with sounds and lights etc - they can see a familiar face and stay calm.

We got a bouncer, but he prefers when we lie him on my yoga mat as he can have a good kick and stretch, so our next excursion is to get a proper foam playmat. The little colourful playgym we got before he was born is too "busy" for him too- there seems to be too many toys/colours etc and they wreck his head, so thats been put away until he is older.

I initially bathed him in a basin, but have moved to a contoured bath with the shaped bath sponge that he lies on (brilliant invention, totally stops sliding around the bath - i can relax and bathe him and he feels secure)

The other advantage is that the little trips out on your maternity leave get you out of the house, and something to do for the day. The little trips out with baby to buy bits and bobs are lovely.

Iguana, the friend you are getting the gift for, is she pregnant or has she had the baby? We got a gorgeous blanket and teddy with the babys name and DOB embroidered on it. There is a shop in galway that monograms - but thats if you know the name and dob already. If she is pregnant, then by far the nicest thing I got was a mum-to-be spa treatment - massage, pedi, facial, hand treatment. The massage was absolute bliss on my poor hardworking back :).

You will find yourself when your time comes that baby gets heaps of stuff anyway, its really nice when mammy gets a little treat for all her hard work! (In a roundabout way its still a gift for baby -y'know, happy mammy = happy baby :pac:)

Neyite wrote: »
    Iguana, the friend you are getting the gift for, is she pregnant or has she had the baby? We got a gorgeous blanket and teddy with the babys name and DOB embroidered on it. There is a shop in galway that monograms - but thats if you know the name and dob already. If she is pregnant, then by far the nicest thing I got was a mum-to-be spa treatment - massage, pedi, facial, hand treatment. The massage was absolute bliss on my poor hardworking back :).

The baby is already here, (two babies actually as they are twins) and I feel a bit overdue with the gift. Initially we wanted to wait until they were born and work out what would be useful but every time I think of something I very quickly realise it wouldn't be great after all. It's for my sister in law, so we want it to be something really good. Maybe the massage/spa treatment would be a good idea anyway, along with a 'babysitting voucher' for the day she chooses to use it.

Ohhh..I would love to have that pamper day again now I'm a sleep deprived mammy, and I'd say with twins it would be double the treat! If I were your sister in law I'd love that.

This is where we went: http://www.knockrannyhousehotel.ie/salveo-spa
    They have spa packages - the one we have was a winter offer and now they have summer ones advertised. We didnt have accomodation though, just went for the day. I couldnt use the sauna, steam room or jacuzzi as I was pregnant at the time, but the treatments were amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

We got the clevamama one; by the time himself could actually roll even slightly, he'd outgrown it (he's rather a long baby). Waste of money really. Didn't see the SIDS data; wouldn't have had it in the house if I had (*did* see the stuff on crib bumpers, didn't get them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

iguana wrote: »
    The baby is already here, (two babies actually as they are twins) and I feel a bit overdue with the gift. Initially we wanted to wait until they were born and work out what would be useful but every time I think of something I very quickly realise it wouldn't be great after all. It's for my sister in law, so we want it to be something really good.

Muslins. Breastfeeding tops (ones that don't look like they were designed by a prudish idiot from the 1950s). More bottles of the make and type they're using. Good nappy bags (ours was a gift and it gets a lot of use). Baby clothes (but don't go nuts and do make sure that whatever you get is easy to put on a wriggling baby). Baby hairbrush. Spare covers for a changing mat if they have one.

I've found that our definition of "really good" has been changing a bit since himself showed up, and now means "absolutely anything that works and especially anything that saves us time" :D

Oh, and cake. Lots of cake. Never show up to the door without cake. Unless it's carrot cake, in which case, please show up at someone else's door you heathen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

We got the Anabel Karamel weaning book and a set of tubs for putting baby food in as one present (Babypotz).

Thought it was a good idea as to be honest being first time parents we'd gone a bit mad on buying stuff so had pretty much everything we needed for the first while but hadn't even thought about weaning.

Sophie the Giraffee is often a good staple present but it's not a big present do depends on how much you wanted to spend.

**Edit...just saw you said it was for your sister in law and wanted something good. Suppose the issue with buying for twins is buying double :). Another great present we got was a Morrk Baby Hoodie for the car seat, was great in the winter but they have light ones for summer too.
    Maybe a Banybjorn Babysitter seat (might be buit too expensive), I'm sure with twins there'll be plenty of times they need to put one down and tend to the other! Our LO still uses hers every day 18 months on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I second the idea of a spa treatment voucher for the mum & babysitting so she can go. You get so much for baby in the beginning, a treat for mum might be appreciated a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

It was the babybjorn that my son hated. He refused to sit in it. They had a big swinging chair in his crèche and he sat in it on his first day, had a long nap and claimed it for himself after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MCOD

iguana wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying a couple of sleep positioners. One as a gift for someone and also one to have for my own guy when he arrives. But when I was looking through some safety information I saw that they can be a SIDS risk. Apparently the problem is that if the baby wriggles down between the bumpers they can suffocate.

I know a few people here have used them and I was wondering what their experience was. Did their babies stay put with their arms above the bumpers or were there incidences where the baby had wriggled down?

I'm mostly looking at this Clevamama one. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SJ5UJ2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p75_d0_g75_i2?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0C2VP3NS08X7R1D6BNFC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

I looked into this myself and apparently there were unconfirmed incidences in the USA, I contacted the BPA in the UK and they told me there has never been a problem reporter in the EU and the advocate the use of the positioner, they did not say a particular brand. My baby had both reflux and flat head so I choose the clevamama one and I have to say it was great and I am a big fan. Each to their own but thought I would just share. ... Also bought for a friend who had twins and it saved her having to buy 2 cribs/Moses baskets. It's am Irish company and the product was developed with Trinity College Dublin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

We have the clevamama one and our little man (10 days old) loves it and took to it straight away. He likes having his hands and arms loose so it's ideal. The bumpers either side of his body keep him in place and make him feel 'cuddled' but don't interfere with his arms or stop him moving his head.

It means that we can safely put him on any flat surface. I like that we can see him, which you can't do with a baby in a moses basket unless you're right beside it.

The midwives that came out from the Coombe and the PHN were very impressed with it too.

Advertisement