Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated & overated in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Overrated:

Temple Bar
    Coppers (dont know if people rate it at all but always talked about, what a kip)

Underrated:

Guinness Storehouse
    Kilmainham Gaol
    Howth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Over rated:
    Phoenix Park
    Under rated:
    War Memorial Gardens across the river

(phoenix park is still good!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I read it on here a while ago. Silliest complaint ever! And you're right, it's a little gem.

At risk of sounding like a cheapskate, the Foodhall is a great place for a date, especially if the girl's never been there before. And it's right beside The Lotts bar, which is a great place for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Over rated:
    Phoenix Park
    Under rated:
    War Memorial Gardens across the river

(phoenix park is still good!)

Ah I dont know if Phoenix Park is overrated. Great clean park. The manky weather at the moment is bit crap as love it there in the Summer. Also Farmleigh house is brilliant with the farmers markets and the Drive In cinema in the Summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Brokentime wrote: »
    Porterhouse (only decent thing they make is the Fruli strawberry beer)

they don't even make that, it's a Belgian White Fruit Beer.

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    they don't even make that, it's a Belgian White Fruit Beer.

Balls.

I take it back, then; Porterhouse is totally overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Overrated:
    Trinity College
    Fallon & Byrne

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Balls.

I take it back, then; Porterhouse is totally overrated.

I disagree. Decent prices for Temple Bar, superb selection of booze, and a great place for a date if you're going to be needing beer goggles later on (pints of BrainBlasta!).

Often decent covers bands there too and a nice atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

No way; this place is great. Couldn't underrate it.

Overrated:
    Porterhouse (only decent thing they make is the Fruli strawberry beer)
    Stephen's Green

Underrated:

Peter's Pub
    )

The Porterhouse serves various delicious beers for around 4euro a pint.

Peter´s pub charges 5.40 for pints of Carlsberg and Heineken..........

I know which one I think is overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Under-rated: The 90 bus
    Over-rated: the Luas from Heuston to the IFSC

Guess which one is faster & cheaper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

dfx- wrote: »
    I found myself asking that question too, one glance at the recent threads on this forum begs the question..

Underrated:

The Spire
    Coast road from Portmarnock to Malahide
    Trinity College

Should be in the overrated category for me. It always puzzles me the amount of tourists that go way down Henry St to get a photo of what is essentially a 10 year old metal spike that knackers tend to congregate under. If the whole thing was lit up like in the artists impression drawings of what it'd be like then it'd be more noteworthy. Instead we have tourists thinkings its our landmark; London has Big Ben/Tower Bridge, Paris has the Eiffel Tower, Rome the Trevi Fountain, Amsterdam has Dam Square, Brussels has the Palace, Berlin the Brandenberg gates... I could go on. We have a big ****ing metal spike.

For me it symbolises all that is/was wrong with modern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

The Porterhouse serves various delicious beers for around 4euro a pint.

Peter´s pub charges 5.40 for pints of Carlsberg and Heineken..........

I know which one I think is overrated

Also that Dingle 8 year whiskey, one of the smoothest I have ever tasted!

Often decent covers bands there too and a nice atmosphere.

Okay, on the bands, the music is waaaaaay too loud if you go upstairs.
    I disagree. Decent prices for Temple Bar, superb selection of booze, and a great place for a date if you're going to be needing beer goggles later on (pints of BrainBlasta!).

I went on a date there once. Worst date of my life, but it was nothing to do with the bar; she was just a bore. I suppose if you need to get a bit twisted for a date, you could go across the road to that place... I think it's called The Czech Inn. Nice selection of beer and decent prices, and decent jukebox/music. I just think that Brainblaster beer is mank. But the Porterhouse in Temple Bar is better than the other one where Judge Roy Beans used to be.

Regarding Peter's Pub and the prices; I know it's a bit (a good bit) more expensive, but it just has a nice vibe, and sitting outside in that laneway beside it is a great place to be in the shade and people-watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

cson wrote: »
    ...a 10 year old metal spike that knackers tend to congregate under...

Probably because it reminds them of a gigantic heroin needle :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Overated:
    3fe
    Guinness storehouse
    kehoes
    stephens green
    public transport

underrated:
    fixx
    botanic gardens
    blessington basin park
    dublin castle
    natural history museum
    and oul walk down the liffey towards the docks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Bambi wrote: »
    Overated:
    3fe
    Guinness storehouse
    kehoes
    stephens green
    public transport

underrated:
    fixx
    botanic gardens
    blessington basin park
    dublin castle
    natural history museum

1+ for that :)

Might be a bit morbid, but Glasnevin Cemetry is worth a visit, too. Ancient tombstones and high crosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Underrated:
    Kilmaiham Gaol - lots of Dubs seem to have never been.
    I was going to say this. I went for the first time last week, great place. 6Euro in and tour was guided from a Doctor of Irish history was very impressed.

Also the national art gallery on kildare street is excellent and free

Bambi wrote: »
    Overated:
    3fe
    Guinness storehouse
    kehoes
    stephens green
    public transport

underrated:
    fixx
    botanic gardens
    blessington basin park
    dublin castle
    natural history museum

Another +1 for Kehoes. Always too packed, and full of knobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Should be in the overrated category for me. It always puzzles me the amount of tourists that go way down Henry St to get a photo of what is essentially a 10 year old metal spike that knackers tend to congregate under. If the whole thing was lit up like in the artists impression drawings of what it'd be like then it'd be more noteworthy. Instead we have tourists thinkings its our landmark; London has Big Ben/Tower Bridge, Paris has the Eiffel Tower, Rome the Trevi Fountain, Amsterdam has Dam Square, Brussels has the Palace, Berlin the Brandenberg gates... I could go on. We have a big ****ing metal spike.

For me it symbolises all that is/was wrong with modern Ireland.

All of those things you list are old monuments. Other than the London Eye, one of which was here for a bit, name a modern landmark from London, Paris, Berlin, etc which has been build in or around the last 10 years?

Dublin has its fair share of old buildings/monuments to compare with those you have listed.

Should be in the overrated category for me. It always puzzles me the amount of tourists that go way down Henry St to get a photo of what is essentially a 10 year old metal spike that knackers tend to congregate under. If the whole thing was lit up like in the artists impression drawings of what it'd be like then it'd be more noteworthy. Instead we have tourists thinkings its our landmark; London has Big Ben/Tower Bridge, Paris has the Eiffel Tower, Rome the Trevi Fountain, Amsterdam has Dam Square, Brussels has the Palace, Berlin the Brandenberg gates... I could go on.

Can't believe you didn't mention Stephansplatz and Stephansdom in Vienna!?!? Took my breath away when I first saw that church.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

You've just contradicted yourself - one never hears anyone say anything negative about Kilmainham Gaol so how do you deem it to be underrated?

I don't think I have contradicted myself.

To my mind overrated means people overestimate how good something is. Underrated means they underestimate how good something is.

Most people I know hate O'Connell Street so I'm genuinely wondering who overrates it.

Most people I know don't think Kilmainham Gaol is worth their time. They may not be negative about it but they couldn't be bothered spending their time or money on it. Therefore I think it is underrated.

Incidently I have heard a number of people with negative things to say about Kilmainham - that it is too anti-British, that it is too cold, that it is too out of the way, that you often have to wait around before a tour starts. I disagree with their assessments when its historical importance, public transport links and entry fee are taken into consideraton. So again, I think they underrate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Under rated

RHA gallery, near stephens green
    Dublin City gallery, also know as the Hugh Lane, near Parnell Sq

Both free in and both have a variety of art, contempary, and older pieces.

Large variety of restaurants in Dublin, different types, Check out Mongolian BBQ in Temple Bar, For really good Asian food check out Parnell St and Capel St. and South William St has a nice mix of restaurants.

Over rated

Most Dublin night clubs

Fast food, Mc donalds, Burger king, Supermacs, Charlies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Kilmaminham Gaol is not underrated.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

gillapino wrote: »
    Under rated

RHA gallery, near stephens green
    Dublin City gallery, also know as the Hugh Lane, near Parnell Sq

Both free in and both have a variety of art, contempary, and older pieces.

These are hardly under-rated, on the contrary (and rightly) they are both very well thought of.

I've never heard of anyone complain about their content and lay out etc. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

reprazant wrote: »
    All of those things you list are old monuments. Other than the London Eye, one of which was here for a bit, name a modern landmark from London, Paris, Berlin, etc which has been build in or around the last 10 years?

Dublin has its fair share of old buildings/monuments to compare with those you have listed.

London alone, off the top of my head:
    millennium dome, london wheel, the gherkin

That poxy spike is a symbol of all that was wrong with this city and country in the boom years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Underrated
    A walk down the pier to the lighthouse out at the end of the South Bull Wall. (Great way of spending a sunny afternoon)
    A cycle from Lucan into town via the Strawberry Beds and the War Memorial Gardens. (Great work out, the hill at the Angler's Rest is a bit of a killer though)
    Thomas Street / Francis Street / Meath Street. (Bargains galore)
    A match in Tolka. (Who remembers 'Section E'?)
    The city on a sunny day. (There's just something about the shade of blue the sky is when the sun is shining over town).

Overrated
    Grafton Street / Dundrum. (Overpriced generally and full of over entitled brats)
    The Workmans / Twisted Pepper etc. (Hipster central)
    Coppers. (The less said the better tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Underatted:

St Audeons Church
    Arbour Hill (and the Stoneybatter area)
    Walks along the canal from Dolphins Barn to Baggot St
    Dalymount Park
    Merrion Sq
    Dublin Mountains
    Capel St

Overrated:
    Guinness Storehouse (just a glorified video show with a pint at the end)
    Christchurch Cathedral (there are more impressive churchs, with free admission too - St Audeons above for example, Weburghs also)
    Italian Qtr

pithater1 wrote: »
    Underrated
    A walk down the pier to the lighthouse out at the end of the South Bull Wall. (Great way of spending a sunny afternoon)
    A cycle from Lucan into town via the Strawberry Beds and the War Memorial Gardens. (Great work out, the hill at the Angler's Rest is a bit of a killer though)
    Thomas Street / Francis Street / Meath Street. (Bargains galore)
    A match in Tolka. (Who remembers 'Section E'?)
    The city on a sunny day. (There's just something about the shade of blue the sky is when the sun is shining over town).

Overrated
    Grafton Street / Dundrum. (Overpriced generally and full of over entitled brats)
    The Workmans / Twisted Pepper etc. (Hipster central)
    Coppers. (The less said the better tbh)

Just went there tonight for the first time. Section E...is that the main stand, where the bar is? The bar, where you get a pint for 3.80? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Just went there tonight for the first time. Section E...is that the main stand, where the bar is? The bar, where you get a pint for 3.80? :cool:

That's the one, although now when I think about it, it may have been section F.

The last section in the main stand before the Ballybough End.

• Advertisement

pithater1 wrote: »
    That's the one, although now when I think about it, it may have been section F.

The last section in the main stand before the Ballybough End.

Never mind, the bar itself is great, and they are even open, when there is no match on :cool:

Advertisement