Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated & overated in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Never mind, the bar itself is great, and they are even open, when there is no match on :cool:

I'd say it was some craic tonight with the Millwall lads in attendance :cool:

Seems the match itself was a bit poor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Bambi wrote: »
    London alone, off the top of my head:
    millennium dome, london wheel, the gherkin

That poxy spike is a symbol of all that was wrong with this city and country in the boom years

The millennium dome that was lambasted when it was built and the gherkin that is an office block?

So you are comparing the spire to things that cost a few billion to build? That's a bit like saying the pepper canister is a crap church because it isn't as good as Notre Dame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

pithater1 wrote: »
    I'd say it was some craic tonight with the Millwall lads in attendance :cool:

Seems the match itself was a bit poor though.

I think, the final score was 0:0 :D

But the lads from Millwall were quite decent indeed, had a drink with some of them in the bar. Don't know why there was so many Gardai, including 2 horses and 4 or 5 dogs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Underrated
    A walk down the pier to the lighthouse out at the end of the South Bull Wall. (Great way of spending a sunny afternoon)
    A cycle from Lucan into town via the Strawberry Beds and the War Memorial Gardens. (Great work out, the hill at the Angler's Rest is a bit of a killer though)
    Thomas Street / Francis Street / Meath Street. (Bargains galore)
    A match in Tolka. (Who remembers 'Section E'?)
    The city on a sunny day. (There's just something about the shade of blue the sky is when the sun is shining over town).

Overrated
    Grafton Street / Dundrum. (Overpriced generally and full of over entitled brats)
    The Workmans / Twisted Pepper etc. (Hipster central)
    Coppers. (The less said the better tbh)
    This - the Liberties is a great little treasure trove. Del boys all around, but bargains to be got. Great butchers up around the place too.

I like the walk along the canal. Go from Slattery's up Haddington Road, through Ballsbridge, up to Portobello. Stop off at each bridge for a pint :) The Waterloo, The Portobello and The Barge are great pubs. Can head down Camden St then for a bit of live music or good food. Anseo, Green19, Against The Grain with its 20 taps.... Dublin has no shortage of great bars and great personalities serving up the drinks from behind the bar. If you want info, have a word with a barman.

Sitting in Stephen's Green on a fine day - we don't get them often, and it makes you appreciate them even more when you also see hundreds of other people sitting out to take it in.

It's been knocked earlier in the thread, but Dublin Zoo is a lovely day out. Expensive, but look at the facilities! Better than Central Park Zoo by a long way.

Kilmainham Grounds are a nice, if short, walkabout. IMMA is great, and free, if you're that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

reprazant wrote: »
    The millennium dome that was lambasted when it was built and the gherkin that is an office block?

So you are comparing the spire to things that cost a few billion to build? That's a bit like saying the pepper canister is a crap church because it isn't as good as Notre Dame.

You keep trying to qualify everything that the spire can be compared to, which is quite funny

Must have been built in the last ten years, mustn't have cost too much, mustn't be actually any good.

The spire is crap. I'm trying not to put the word "fact" in it's own sentence but it should be there. It's the kind of cack choice that could only be made in a country like this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Overrated

Where's this Workmans place?

You keep trying to qualify everything that the spire can be compared to, which is quite funny

Must have been built in the last ten years, mustn't have cost too much, mustn't be actually any good.

The spire is crap. I'm trying not to put the word "fact" in it's own sentence but it should be there. It's the kind of cack choice that could only be made in a country like this

Not really. You don't like it fair enough, that's your opinion. I like it and think it looks very impressive when walking up Henry Street, with it framed by the buildings on either side.

I find it amusing that both the Eiffel Tower and the Millennium Dome were compared to it, both of which were greatly criticized when they were built..

In relation to me trying to "qualify" everything that the spire can be compared to, I only wanted a fair comparison to be made. You wouldn't consider comparing Henry St to the Champs Elysees a fair comparison, so why these?

You would consider comparing Henry St to the Champs Elysees a fair comparison..

Ha, just choked on my coffee after reading that. What loon would compare Henry Street to the Elysees? Jaysus :rolleyes:

The are parts of Dublin that are very picturesque, but ol' Henry Street ain't one of them.

Mind you, Paris could give Dublin a run for its money on the "dirty auld town" stakes - last time I was there, it was filthy.

Brokentime wrote: »
    Ha, just choked on my coffee after reading that. What loon would compare Henry Street to the Elysees? Jaysus :rolleyes:

Typo. Meant to say you wouldn't consider comparing Henry St to the Champs Elysees a fair comparison, which I hope makes a bit more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I like the Spire. At least it doesn't have some moronic ride/viewing gallery/interpretive centre associated with it. It's a useful meeting point and geographic reference point. I don't believe it's something we market heavily as a tourist site, is it?

Over rated - Wax Museum & Leprechaum Museum.

Under Rated - Bon Diola cafe on Haddington Rd & Ciao Bella Roma on Parliament St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Overrated

Where's this Workmans place?

If its where I'm thinking of, its on the south quays, to be fair, I've played a few gigs in town and it the sound engineer there is class, actually looks for a decent sound rather than the usual "ok lets hear yis, yep that's grand " attitude most places have. I see where the hipster vibe comes from though.

If its where I'm thinking of, its on the south quays, to be fair, I've played a few gigs in town and it the sound engineer there is class, actually looks for a decent sound rather than the usual "ok lets hear yis, yep that's grand " attitude most places have. I see where the hipster vibe comes from though.

Sounds nice. I'll have to check it out when I come back.

Is it near Sub Lounge??? Or further down?

I am pie wrote: »
    I like the Spire. It's a useful ... geographic reference point

Only if you're actually close to it, or in the vicinity. Once you head off over to the South side, you'd need to be Spiderman to use it as a reference. If it was a bit higher, though... maybe then.

Under Rated - Ciao Bella Roma on Parliament St.

Totally forgot this place. Excellent pizzeria. Very genuine Italian atmosphere, great prices, and the pizzas are fantastic. Great place for a date, or just to hang out and get a slice.

It is just up the bridge on Gratten Bridge, a few doors up from the Clarence Hotel.

They seem to have also opened a whiskey bar either beside or in the basement, which sounds interesting.

On google maps, it is between Hughes Murphy & Co and the Clarence Hotel on the quays but that was before it had opened.

It is the only bar on Wellington Quay as far as I know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The other end, next to the Clarence Hotel :) One of my favourite bars. They've expanded it now so not as jammed as it used to be on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The spire is crap

It's not, it's underrated by the likes of you. It's actually very impressive. If it was in Barcelona you'd be gushing about it.

It is just up the bridge on Gratten Bridge, a few doors up from the Clarence Hotel.

They seem to have also opened a whiskey bar either beside or in the basement, which sounds interesting.

On google maps, it is between Hughes Murphy & Co and the Clarence Hotel on the quays but that was before it had opened.

It is the only bar on Wellington Quay as far as I know.

The minute you said the Clarence, I remembered. Yep, I know it. Didn't go in, but looks nice from the outside.

Cool; thx for the recommendation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Totally forgot this place. Excellent pizzeria. Very genuine Italian atmosphere, great prices, and the pizzas are fantastic. Great place for a date, or just to hang out and get a slice.

+1. The early bird is amazing value. Think it was €15 for starter, main and glass of wine. EDIT: Ciao Bella Roma! Lost the name there in the multi-quote.

Overrated:

Nando's. People seem obsessed! I didn't find it great at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Not really. You don't like it fair enough, that's your opinion. I like it and think it looks very impressive when walking up Henry Street, with it framed by the buildings on either side.

I find it amusing that both the Eiffel Tower and the Millennium Dome were compared to it, both of which were greatly criticized when they were built..

In relation to me trying to "qualify" everything that the spire can be compared to, I only wanted a fair comparison to be made. You wouldn't consider comparing Henry St to the Champs Elysees a fair comparison, so why these?

Good post, I had a similar post written out but never finished or posted it.
    Someone actually said it's crap because it's not as good as the trevi fountain! You might as well say Dublin is crap because it's not Rome. And never build anything because it will never be as good as the trevi fountain, palace in brussels, eiffel tower etc.
    Even if we did build anything like the above, there would be uproar from locals, and joe duffys switchboard would explode because of the price. The spire was fairly cheap and there was uproar about the price at the time, and we has a lot more money then than we do now.

Does anyone know off-hand what the situation is with the "proposed" luas line that was supposed to go down O'Connell Street and head off to the airport or somewhere?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

John_Rambo wrote: »
    It's not, it's underrated by the likes of you. It's actually very impressive. If it was in Barcelona you'd be gushing about it.

For €4m quid it does a decent job of appearing to be something interesting for tourists.

For me, like I said, its just a very telling symbol of Ireland and the Celtic Tiger years. A shiny expensive spike.

cson wrote: »
    For me, like I said, its just a very telling symbol of Ireland and the Celtic Tiger years. A shiny expensive spike.

You are proving my point and underrating it! The celtic tiger will be long forgotten about and the millennium spire will still be there. I think some of us need to move on from the tiger too. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Under Rated - Bon Diola cafe on Haddington Rd .

Great call! The "lometo completo" or whatever it's called is absolutely delicious. Lovely place for lunch.

You are proving my point and underrating it! The celtic tiger will be long forgotten about and the millennium spire will still be there. I think some of us need to move on from the tiger too. ;)

I just can't see the attraction; I mean what is it? What purpose does it serve? What does it symbolise? I think its overrated due to the fact that tourists think its one of the must sees of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I like the spire. Fewer people like the spire than actually should like the spire. ergo underrated.

I have my reasons for liking it, form aesthetics, simplicity, size, uniqueness, I enjoyed watching it being erected, I like the way you can be somewhere, a restaurant, a car park, a Dart and you can suddenly see it. I like it's confidence and the fact that it's tactile, you can walk right up to it and touch it. Have you anything to offer re; the underrated part of the thread or are you just here to put things down?

@ the other posts, some real gems there, keep them coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Under rated: Walk up 3 rock. OK, a good few people do it, but on the other hand, a surprising amount of dubliners don't know it even exists. Amazing views.

Over rated: Teddy's Ice Cream in Dún Laoghaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭milkycoffey

Have you anything to offer re; the underrated part of the thread or are you just here to put things down?

Ah here, leave ih ouu!

Relax, just commenting on one thing in particular that I thought was overrated. Didn't know we were obligated to list from both sides of the track ;)

But to placate yourself; one place/district I find underrated in Dublin is China Town on Parnell St. An awful lot of people just don't know about it. Fantastic value imo.

One other thing; I think someone mentioned the Luas as being overrated? IF anything for me its underrated. Maybe thats a result of living in other cities in Ireland but you really get an appreciation for reliable rail based mass transit.

• Advertisement

Maybe thats a result of living in other cities in Ireland but you really get an appreciation for reliable rail based mass transit.

Not sure I'd call it mass transit, but it's decent. Still a bit overrated. As people say, it is what it is. I took it for 2 years out to Dundrum from Stephen's Green; when the winter ice came, the feckin' thing couldn't get up the hill around the canal at what's-it-called. Had to walk to work a few times, along the tracks. That was a nice experience, though. Everyone walking together in the cold.
    But to placate yourself; one place/district I find underrated in Dublin is China Town on Parnell St. An awful lot of people just don't know about it. Fantastic value imo.

That area is cool. Used to live near there; excellent for food and some drinks. Plus, Fibber Magees and the Hop House are there, across the road from each other. Great part of town to get a bit hammered and have something to eat.

Advertisement