Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Spain

Options
  • 15-07-2012 7:47pm

Looks like I'll be moving to Spain in the next few months. Temporarily, at first.

I was wondering if anyone here is living over there and could help me out a bit. First of all, what's the easiest way to sort out a mobile? Do they sell SIM cards on their own there that I can put into my unlocked phone, or would I need to buy a new phone? I remember last time I lived there (quite a few years ago now), I needed to buy a new phone and even give them a copy of my passport for a PAYG.

Also, what's the story about registering as a resident? I know you need to do it within 90 days but can you get the NIE number and work until then? They've just changed the rules so that you now need proof of income and healthcare provisions when you register, so obviously we won't be able to do that until we have jobs sorted out.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Hey. I'm currently working this summer in Spain. So I hope I can clear up your queries.

With regard to a mobile phone, you do need a passport to buy a SIM card. I'd advise you to go to The Phone House (Carphone Warehouse in Spain) where they can suggest different options. The best offer I got was with Happy Móvil where I paid 30€ for a basic Sim free phone with Happy Móvil SIM Card and 20€ call credit.

With regard to getting a NIE number, I have had my fair share of problems. But I can tell you the general route to getting one. Firstly, you need to register ('empadronar') as a resident in the local town hall. To do this, you need the rental agreement made between you and your landlord and your passport. This is done within the day at the town hall, provided you have the right documentation.

Once you are a registered resident, you need to go to your local police station which deals with 'trámites de NIE'. To get the NIE, you need to have your passport, your residency certificate (certificado de empadronamiento), and your contract of employment. Plus, of course, the 10€ fee for the administration costs. Without a contracto f employment, which was my case, they will refuse to process your request.

Best of luck!

• djcervi wrote: »
    Hey. I'm currently working this summer in Spain. So I hope I can clear up your queries.

With regard to a mobile phone, you do need a passport to buy a SIM card. I'd advise you to go to The Phone House (Carphone Warehouse in Spain) where they can suggest different options. The best offer I got was with Happy Móvil where I paid 30€ for a basic Sim free phone with Happy Móvil SIM Card and 20€ call credit.

With regard to getting a NIE number, I have had my fair share of problems. But I can tell you the general route to getting one. Firstly, you need to register ('empadronar') as a resident in the local town hall. To do this, you need the rental agreement made between you and your landlord and your passport. This is done within the day at the town hall, provided you have the right documentation.

Once you are a registered resident, you need to go to your local police station which deals with 'trámites de NIE'. To get the NIE, you need to have your passport, your residency certificate (certificado de empadronamiento), and your contract of employment. Plus, of course, the 10€ fee for the administration costs. Without a contracto f employment, which was my case, they will refuse to process your request.

Best of luck!

Thanks! What are you doing over there and where abouts are you? Bit worried about the contract of employment, as I'd be working for several different employers and not really guaranteed a certain number of hours each week, but hopefully I'll get it sorted! Any idea about the healthcare thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Thanks! What are you doing over there and where abouts are you? Bit worried about the contract of employment, as I'd be working for several different employers and not really guaranteed a certain number of hours each week, but hopefully I'll get it sorted! Any idea about the healthcare thing?

No worries! I am actually working in a youth hostel in Valencia. I'm basically working behind the bar there until September, as I have to finish my Spanish degree in Dublin. So, it's trying to earn money and put my Spanish to practise.

To be honest, I don't know anything about the healthcare bit. Your best bet is probably to ask the Spanish Embassy before you head off to Spain.

Advertisement