Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegetarian Bodybuilding diet advice please

Options
  • 15-07-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi I am a vegetarian and am just starting out at the gym. Trying to get rid of the belly and just put a small bit of muscle on but don't want to seriously bulk up. I would like to get vegetarian diet advice from anyone out there who happens to be weight training. As I am eating a lot of tofu to get the protein in. to fill in on the background. I lost 6 stone of weight 9 years ago by following a diet, I got down to 80kg and have been that weight since but I am in horrible condition, I joined a gym and spent a couple of years getting really fit, jogging, spinning and endless hours on treadmill - all to no avail as i still had belly. gave it all up two years ago as got so demotivated and tired and felt very weak really. But now I am sick of the belly again and just want to get rid of it all. Jan 2013 will be ten years since I started the first diet. It is my aim to get rid of the belly and basically have the BOD - that's six pack and the rest. I have only started the gym two weeks ago, watching what i eat and training as hard as i can. I can't lift much, very light weights, but that's my level at the moment. I do ten minutes warm up on bike, 40 mins weights followed by abs and stretch. don't do much abs, it is a major weak point for me and it doesn't take much for me to really feel the burn. I would also like to hear from any weight trainers in carrigaline/cork region as would love to meet to train with someone now and again to learn and pick it up as my knowledge of weight training isn't great. Thanks for any help or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

On the diet side of things, see the other thread you posted in as you have 2 replies! If you're looking for groups (class based) to train with in Carrigaline give http://www.crossfitcarrigaline.ie/ or http://www.trainstationgym.com/index.php
    They both have good reputations & will steer you in the right direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Have you taken any advice from a personal trainer or read up on how to weight lift?

A lot of people randomly throw weights around, ignore their form, dont know what they are supposed to be concentrating on, and miss entire sections because they are unaware of how its all supposed to work.

Youd be far better off getting someone who knows what its all about, or a personal trainer to give you one session and a program and approach this with a educated view to what you are doing. Theres even a lot of info online or books you can buy to give you basics, but no substitute for a real person advising you and checking your form.

Theres a good article on sources of protein for vegetarian body builders.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shambob12

Thanks for both of ye're responses. I just started going to a personal trainer last week and just started a diet he recommended. Aiming to go to him twice a week and train another two times myself. Finding it hard at the moment with trying to eat so enough tofu to get to 30g protein. I am only starting out so that's why I was hoping to get more advice from maybe someone who is a vegetarian and has been weight training for a while and see how they work it. Plus I want to learn as much as I can about weight lifting to get to the poibt where I am confident and know what I am doing myself. I'll definitely checkout the crossfit in carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

shambob12 wrote: »
    Thanks for both of ye're responses. I just started going to a personal trainer last week and just started a diet he recommended. Aiming to go to him twice a week and train another two times myself. Finding it hard at the moment with trying to eat so enough tofu to get to 30g protein. I am only starting out so that's why I was hoping to get more advice from maybe someone who is a vegetarian and has been weight training for a while and see how they work it. Plus I want to learn as much as I can about weight lifting to get to the poibt where I am confident and know what I am doing myself. I'll definitely checkout the crossfit in carrigaline.

Is milk ok for you? I know it's a product that vegetarians have differing opinions on but it would be an excellent way for you to get the protein in and also to have the excess calories that you need to build muscle.

Google Starting Strength as a good point for muscle building.

Also don't worry about getting too bulky. You're not going to do one set and then not be able to fit out the door!. Lift until you are happy with the amount of muscle you are carrying then stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

If you can get the vegetarian protein powder to make protein shakes then youll be laughing. My husband uses a site called myprotein (no connection, he just started using it recently), I just checked and they have vegan protein powder, here is the link.

Maybe check them or something similar out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

OP, have a look at this fella: Scooby 1961

He has a lot of sensible advice about cardio and nutrition, using good form, starting using lighter weights and then gradually increasing weight and reps, etc.

Also, you wouldn't think it to look at the size of him, but AFAIK he's a veggie.

I went onto myprotein and ordered the pea and brown rice protein and the strawberry flavour as the reviews said neither taste very good. I will be glad when they come as it's too much food for me to eat at the moment. Also, I was training tonight and PT said that 500g of natural yogurt with a small bit of protein powder will serve as a meal. That sounds good to me as i love natural yogurt. Eggs and Milk are okay for me also. The training is going good. I have been introduced to training to fail. So I am getting maximum impact for effort, I actually felt brilliant after training tonight and I had never trained so hard in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Have you tried quinoa? Its one of the few plant based complete proteins. It has a higher protein content than rice, pasta etc. so is a good subsitute.

I'm vegetarian as well, and some days its difficult to get enough protein in. There's only so many omelets a man can eat in a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Have you tried quinoa? Its one of the few plant based complete proteins. It has a higher protein content than rice, pasta etc. so is a good subsitute.

I'm vegetarian as well, and some days its difficult to get enough protein in. There's only so many omelets a man can eat in a day!
    That sounds like a challenge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Burkatron wrote: »
    That sounds like a challenge :D

I was eating a 24 pack every 2 or 3 days for a month or so. When I first went veggie I knew very little about nutrition, and eggs were one of the few sources of veggie friendly protein I was aware of. Grew sick of that many eggs fairly quickly and was forced to expand my knowledge! I've grown to love them again, but would only have about 4 a day rather than 12.

• Advertisement

So I am getting maximum impact for effort, I actually felt brilliant after training tonight and I had never trained so hard in my life.

Well done :)
    I will be glad when they come as it's too much food for me to eat at the moment.

Do you have a small appetite in general? What would be a typical days intake for you?

I went onto myprotein and ordered the pea and brown rice protein and the strawberry flavour as the reviews said neither taste very good.

They have whey that suitable for vegetarians. It might taste better.
    Also, I was training tonight and PT said that 500g of natural yogurt with a small bit of protein powder will serve as a meal.

I add cottage cheese to my yoghurt too. It can be an acquired taste. Personally I like it. It is worth preserving with. 28g of protein a pot.
    Here are some other recipes.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wanna-curdle-embrace-cottage-cheese-in-8-new-recipes.html

I know about the eggs. I have an omellete of two eggs and two egg whites with some marmite at 9pm. It''s tasty and just enough. getting better with the food now. Have porridge with a scoop of hemp protein for breakfast. Have fruit with some natural yogurt mid morning. main meal is veg/salad with small amount of rice, potatoes with enough tofu to get 30g (went to quay coop in town and got a sesame burger which has 31g protein per 190g of burger & got Vegusto veggie burger which has 28g protein per 100g - which is best I've seen). Dinner is same without the carbs or I have full pot of natural yogurt with some protein powder. Training is going great, went to PT Tue and Thur and went to gym today myself, but training myself is still not the same. hard to get the same intensity and also have to lift lighter weights as no one there to spot. So I did chest today but I had to stop at 5 reps strip back the weight and do another 5. But with PT he just helps out so I can get to ten or whatever my failure is at the higher weight and really max out. So I still have not mastered getting same impact training on my own as I do with PT as I don't feel like I have given everything. But I guess it is a learning process.

I would say I have a low appetite now as I eat smaller meals so I am adjusting to eating more food, the sweats were coming out of me one day I had to eat so much for me. But I guess I was eating too little and no where near enough protein before i started this. i feel much healthier already and more energy - so eating more has been the right thing.

And thanks for the cottage cheese recipes - they look great. i'll have to try them.

Advertisement