Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview advice?

• 15-07-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I am an experienced teacher. I spent the last 5 years teaching full time in the same school but for various reasons never got my CID and have no hours for next year.

I expected to have to move abroad but applied for a job here that has full hours and is in my subjects. I have an interview for it this Thursday. It would seriously mean a lot to me to get this job and I'm hoping that my experience puts me in a good position for it.

It's obviously been 5 years though since I last interviewed so I'm afraid that I'm a bit rusty - does anyone have any advice for me please? Also, how soon do they usually tell you whether you have been successful or not after an interview?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

You've five years of experience so be confident in your abilities and answer their questions honestly.
    Know your teaching plans for when they inevitably ask "what/how would you teach a first year class" etc.
    After that, it's always good to know a bit about the school's history and ethos and if they don't ask you about something you think might be advantageous then try to bring it up (without obviously shoe-horning it into the conversation if possible).

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Rapunzels

RealJohn wrote: »
    You've five years of experience so be confident in your abilities and answer their questions honestly.
    Know your teaching plans for when they inevitably ask "what/how would you teach a first year class" etc.
    After that, it's always good to know a bit about the school's history and ethos and if they don't ask you about something you think might be advantageous then try to bring it up (without obviously shoe-horning it into the conversation if possible).

Good luck.

School's ethos, your disciplinary process, know your subject and give concrete examples.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭doc_17

Know the role of the parents association, board of management etc. They will ask you about a willingness to participate in extra curricular activities. and they might ask why you are being "let go" from your previous employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

All of the above plus
    • elearning/ Use of technology in the classroom
    • New junior cert program - changes to your subject areas
    • General questions on the economy/recession and how it is affecting budgets/schools dropping subjects/croke park etc
    • Why CID didn't happen in your last school
    • Recent education stories in the media - Facebook, sixth year pranks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

dont urinate in a chair or anything..umm fidgeting is a give away it makes you look like youre too nervous,theyll be thinking what are you like in front of a class,get into teacher mode that you were trained on and let it come to you..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

dont urinate in a chair or anything..umm fidgeting is a give away it makes you look like youre too nervous,theyll be thinking what are you like in front of a class,get into teacher mode that you were trained on and let it come to you..

Look at the username. This advice has already been taken on board!

Be cool and calm but not arrogant. Dont be afraid to admit that you have made mistakes.

If you tell them something like 'Im very good with kids, i really understand their needs' or whatever - have a little story to back it up and make sure if its lies that you make the lies up before you get in there. Nothing worse than having to make stuff up on the spot!

Limit the bull****.not everyone can get away with it and even those who can sometimes dont know when to stop.

Know about the sector eg vec vol sec school or whatever it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Be ready for bizarre or awkward questions.

I was asked what I thought about "stupid first class honours Dips" since "they're only nonsense anyway" and also "what would you do if somebody took out a knife". Both by the department inspector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

What on earth did you say about stupid first class honours dips ? The knife question I think could handle .

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Geologyrocks

Miss Lockhart
    What did you reply to the knife question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    What on earth did you say about stupid first class honours dips ? The knife question I think could handle .
    Miss Lockhart
    What did you reply to the knife question?

Tbh, I was a little taken aback by both questions. It was as much his manner as anything else. He was being deliberately provocative.

For the dip question I just said that well, I had worked very hard for my dip and felt I had learned a lot and that my teaching practice had given me excellent experience. That I still had a lot to learn from further experience but that I felt my dip had given me the tools to adapt and learn from that experience.

For the knife question I just said that my primary concern would be the safety of my students. That I would immediately notify another teacher if at all possible and get my students out of the room if at all possible. That the context of the situation would be very important and that I would keep the situation as calm as I possibly could and try and get the knife if possible but that ultimately my main aim would be to remove my students from the situation and alert others for help.

I got the job anyway. My principal was rolling her eyes at the questions.

Turns out, the knife question wasn't that far removed from reality in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

So I had my interview yesterday. I think it went well. Didn't let the nerves get the most of me and used all the tips you guys gave me. They didn't say when they'd contact just that they'd "be in touch". I kinda assumed that if I got it, I'd get a call today as that's how it was with my last job - but nothing yet - should I start to assume I was unsuccessful?! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭doc_17

Inpossible to say. If you hear nothing by middle of next week i'lmd say you didn't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

God no. Sure they might only be checking references now.

Main thing is you did a good interview. When your confidence is up like that youll do better next time if need be.

You should note the questions you were asked and have a think about answers. Did you leave anything out etc. Will help in future.

Relax for the weekend then. No more you can do!

Advertisement