Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stolen iPhone - can it be found?

• 15-07-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

A friend of mine was mugged last night in town and his iPhone, among other things, was taken. He had a lot of sentimental photos and videos of his late grandfather on it, and is heartbroken not to have them now.

He didn't back them up or set up iCloud.

Is there any way to retrieve an iPhone without the Find my iPhone thing? I know it's a longshot, but just thought to ask if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks in advance

purplepapillon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Hi all,

A friend of mine was mugged last night in town and his iPhone, among other things, was taken. He had a lot of sentimental photos and videos of his late grandfather on it, and is heartbroken not to have them now.

He didn't back them up or set up iCloud.

Is there any way to retrieve an iPhone without the Find my iPhone thing? I know it's a longshot, but just thought to ask if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks in advance

purplepapillon

Probably not, isn't it through iCloud the tracking feature works?

https://www.icloud.com/#find

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

No, but if he synced with itunes recently chances are there is a backup of the phone which if he plugs another iphone into his computer it will let him restore from the backup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try the link above to icloud. If the FMI is activated he might be able to track it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

What's the point in tracking it though. The guards can't do anything about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It takes around 1 minute to factory reset an iPhone, even if locked. His network provider should have his IMEI number and they will pass it to apple to shut down the phone remotely. If anyone ever wants to use it again, the network will need to request an unlock from apple.

So while you might never get it back, you can make sure nobody else can use it. My guess is that it's been sold to a cash converters shop already.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    It takes around 1 minute to factory reset an iPhone, even if locked. His network provider should have his IMEI number and they will pass it to apple to shut down the phone remotely. If anyone ever wants to use it again, the network will need to request an unlock from apple.

So while you might never get it back, you can make sure nobody else can use it. My guess is that it's been sold to a cash converters shop already.
    Re you sure apple have any involvement. The network simply bars the imei and sometimes it gets barred on all the other networks

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭purplepapillon

Cool thanks a lot guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

probably pure co-incidence but have a look at this Thread...ya never know

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056703075

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

guil wrote: »
    Re you sure apple have any involvement. The network simply bars the imei and sometimes it gets barred on all the other networks

I got my 4 stolen and reported it at the same time as getting my new sim. I put my sim in my old 3gs and the next day it stopped working. My operator had accidentally blocked the IMEI number on my 3gs instead of the 4.

When I phoned them, they said they'd have to put in an unlock request to apple. A few hours later I got a text from apple saying the phone had been unlocked and to sync again to activate it.

Seems everything goes back to apple with the iPhone.

That was to unlock the phone and not remove a blacklist

• Advertisement

The reason the phone was locked because they thought it was the stolen phone. They needed the IMEI number to unlock.

The reason the phone was locked because they thought it was the stolen phone. They needed the IMEI number to unlock.
    Ok if what you say about apple is true. How come a blacklisted iPhone in the uk will work no problem in Ireland or any other country? You're getting confused with sim lock and blacklisted. Also how come the phone will work as an iPod in the country it's reported stolen in if apple remotely shut it down?

Ok if what you say about apple is true. How come a blacklisted iPhone in the uk will work no problem in Ireland or any other country? You're getting confused with sim lock and blacklisted. Also how come the phone will work as an iPod in the country it's reported stolen in if apple remotely shut it down?
    They don't shut it down, you just can't make or receive any calls/texts. It even connects to the network but there's no signal bars.

Initially I thought it was the sim, but I tried my wife's and a friends and the phone just didn't work. Even when I jailbroke it, it didn't work with any sim until I got the text from apple to say they had unlocked it and to sync to activate.

What your describing is a network bar so nothing can bypass that unless you change the imei before it has being barred. The unlock apple provided was removing the sim lock for other networks

What your describing is a network bar so nothing can bypass that unless you change the imei before it has being barred. The unlock apple provided was removing the sim lock for other networks
    The phone was jailbroken, It was unlocked to other networks!

The phone was jailbroken, It was unlocked to other networks!
    That's a software unlock and updating it locks it again. Jailbroken or not a network barred phone ie. blacklisted can't be used in the country it was blacklisted in until the blacklist is removed by the NETWORK. It has nothing to do with apple

That's a software unlock and updating it locks it again. Jailbroken or not a network barred phone ie. blacklisted can't be used in the country it was blacklisted in until the blacklist is removed by the NETWORK. It has nothing to do with apple

You can bypass a software lock by jailbreaking the phone.

You can bypass a software lock by jailbreaking the phone.
    Now your not even making sense. Do you know the difference between a jailbreak and unlock?

Now your not even making sense. Do you know the difference between a jailbreak and unlock?
    Ok here's the scenario:

• Reported phone stolen.
    • Placed new sim in old phone. (jailbroken)
    • O2 locked old phone by mistake instead of stolen phone.
    • Phone O2, get told they've unlocked it.
    • Still doesn't work, with any sim card.
    • Install latest OS (at the time) and jailbreak.
    • Still doesn't work.
    • O2 say they'll have to send the IMEI number to apple as it's not locked by their network.
    • A few hours later I get a text from apple to say they've unlocked it and a sync/restore will fix it.
    • Restore and the phone works again.

So O2 didn't have a network lock on the phone. Apple had it locked disregarding the network sim, and disregarding a jailbreak.

Mother of Jesus. Apple don't blacklist phones. They removed the sim lock.

Have a look on google, apple have replaced phones that were reported stolen that we're still in warranty

• Advertisement

Mother of Jesus. Apple don't blacklist phones. They removed the sim lock.

Either way, they had to remove a lock that the carrier couldn't and I couldn't.

Yes that's the sim lock. It's on all iPhones unless you purchase one from apple. Only a network can request it

Yes that's the sim lock. It's on all iPhones unless you purchase one from apple. Only a network can request it
    So reporting it as stolen really doesn't make a difference because the network will get it unlocked anyway? Well that's crap.

Reporting it stolen gets it put on a blacklist with the network. It's supposed to get blocked on all networks. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. I think only the network who blacklisted it can remove it

Reporting it stolen gets it put on a blacklist with the network. It's supposed to get blocked on all networks. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. I think only the network who blacklisted it can remove it
    Only within the same country?

On a side note, I just checked my apple profile which is supposed to list all devices registered to an itunes account and it's only listing current devices, not historical ones as it's supposed to.

Yeah if it's blacklisted in Ireland it will still work in the uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Mine was knicked last night and I am raging.

I do have iCloud and I have asked the network to block the handset etc and from what I can see it's not switched on.

I am assuming unless it's used again in Ireland that I won't ever see it again. :(

Lux23 wrote: »
    Mine was knicked last night and I am raging.

I do have iCloud and I have asked the network to block the handset etc and from what I can see it's not switched on.

I am assuming unless it's used again in Ireland that I won't ever see it again. :(
    Have you tried find my iphone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Have you tried find my iphone?

Yep, it hasn't popped but sure once you block it using the Imei it's dead anyway.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Yep, it hasn't popped but sure once you block it using the Imei it's dead anyway.
    I'd wait before blocking it. If you have a password on it then I'd give it a day or so in case it connects to open wifi.

Actually, it should still connect I think.

Advertisement