Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fall - Irish Tour 2012

Options
  • 15-07-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Anybody planning to see Mark E and the boys this summer? I'm hoping to see them at The Pavilion in Cork on the 21st, never seen them as a younger fan, should be a good laugh.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Ah, just me then...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

bleach94 wrote: »
    Anybody planning to see Mark E and the boys this summer? I'm hoping to see them at The Pavilion in Cork on the 21st, never seen them as a younger fan, should be a good laugh.

Going with two of my mates to Button Factory gig, but in case you're laboring under a misapprehension, one shouldn't expect merriment at Fall gigs.

Going with two of my mates to Button Factory gig, but in case you're laboring under a misapprehension, one shouldn't expect merriment at Fall gigs.

Indeed, stupid mistake to make! Don't really mind what the setlist is like, just excited as it's my first time seeing the legend that is Mark E. Smith :D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Looking forward to it, long time fan but never seen them live before. Have to listen to the last couple of records they have out before the gig too actually now that I think of it.

Sean7 wrote: »
    Looking forward to it, long time fan but never seen them live before. Have to listen to the last couple of records they have out before the gig too actually now that I think of it.

Live is where he/them really shine, always a fantastic experience (if he doesn't piss off after two songs that is!)

• Advertisement

Could have been a great show if he wasn't such a **** and cared a **** about his fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

man, I've seen some bad Fall gigs but that was the worst. The band were tight but pretty bland tbh and M.E.S just took the piss. He crossed the line from chaotic genius into pathetic weirdo.

I think I'll skip the next few gigs.

smokedeels wrote: »
    man, I've seen some bad Fall gigs but that was the worst. The band were tight but pretty bland tbh and M.E.S just took the piss. He crossed the line from chaotic genius into pathetic weirdo.

I think I'll skip the next few gigs.

My 3rd and last time to see them, my mate who seen them 5 times before said thats it for him too, the band was great no problems with them, Smith is in his 50s and acting like a pissed (stoned?) teenager so fu*k him, we're going to see PIL on 29th, Lydon might act the bollox and always have a drink in hand in interviews but its all an act, he's a professional who puts on a great show as the Pistols and especially PIL. Dont know how the band members stand him especially his missus on keys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycPdNnpVE08

Watched them last night in The Pavilion, great night! My first time seeing the band and ended up front row with all the hardcore fans, even got to sing Mr. Pharmacist when Mark handed me, my friend and this old drunk guy his second mic before starting the song. Chaotic, earsplitting and downright hilarious!

Bit puzzled at all these negative comments, now maybe they were just worse that night in Dublin (band sounded good in Cork, MES all over the place but that's what i expected), I don't know. I'm wondering if a lot of these people went to the gig expecting them to be tight, coherent and professional. I would have been disappointed if that had been the way last night! It was disjointed, out of tune and at times truly awful (all these traits relating to MES of course, as previously stated the rest of the band were solid). Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the music too (some of the Ersatz GB stuff sounded great, and the old classics were really fun to hear), but surely the roaring and indecipherable vocals paired with the strangled, repetitive riffs are part of the fun of experiencing The Fall live. Again, feel free to tell me if everything i've said is totally incorrect (I am, after all, one of the younger MES fans), but that is how I feel having listened to and followed this band for a good few years now. If I know what the guy is like than surely the older fans do, he doesn't appear to take particular care in his live performances, or the satisfaction of his paying admirers. That, from what I can tell, has always been his way, and most probably will continue to be as long as he is gracing stages with his unmissable persona (which, it must be noted, will not be forever, so enjoy or at least appreciate it while it's still here!).

Thanks, and sorry for the rant.

bleach94 wrote: »
    Watched them last night in The Pavilion, great night! My first time seeing the band and ended up front row with all the hardcore fans, even got to sing Mr. Pharmacist when Mark handed me, my friend and this old drunk guy his second mic before starting the song. Chaotic, earsplitting and downright hilarious!

Bit puzzled at all these negative comments, now maybe they were just worse that night in Dublin (band sounded good in Cork, MES all over the place but that's what i expected), I don't know. I'm wondering if a lot of these people went to the gig expecting them to be tight, coherent and professional. I would have been disappointed if that had been the way last night! It was disjointed, out of tune and at times truly awful (all these traits relating to MES of course, as previously stated the rest of the band were solid). Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the music too (some of the Ersatz GB stuff sounded great, and the old classics were really fun to hear), but surely the roaring and indecipherable vocals paired with the strangled, repetitive riffs are part of the fun of experiencing The Fall live. Again, feel free to tell me if everything i've said is totally incorrect (I am, after all, one of the younger MES fans), but that is how I feel having listened to and followed this band for a good few years now. If I know what the guy is like than surely the older fans do, he doesn't appear to take particular care in his live performances, or the satisfaction of his paying admirers. That, from what I can tell, has always been his way, and most probably will continue to be as long as he is gracing stages with his unmissable persona (which, it must be noted, will not be forever, so enjoy or at least appreciate it while it's still here!).

Thanks, and sorry for the rant.

He only Performed For 20 Minutes In the Button Factory after leaving us waiting an hour!!! Thats the f*cking problem, If you think thats value for money and acceptable well good luck and enjoy his future shows I and any other fans I know wont be there. I've been going to gigs for at least 25 years and have no time for arseholes.

• Advertisement

He only Performed For 20 Minutes In the Button Factory after leaving us waiting an hour!!! Thats the f*cking problem, If you think thats value for money and acceptable well good luck and enjoy his future shows I and any other fans I know wont be there. I've been going to gigs for at least 25 years and have no time for arseholes.

Well, that's the first i've heard of it. Came on after about 20 mins and played for a good hour and a half in The Pavilion. I understand the anger now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I was negatively reviewing the Dublin gig not MES or The Fall in general.

I'd always argue that you pay your ticket price for the band not the right to be entertained and I knew well what can happen at a Fall gig when I bought my ticket.

However, the Dublin gig was a real low and went beyond what I expect from him. It wasn't punk rock, quite the opposite, it was a guy taking the piss out of his fans. I found it a little insulting.

I'm still a massive fan but I'll find it hard to invest in The Fall as a live entity in future.

smokedeels wrote: »
    I was negatively reviewing the Dublin gig not MES or The Fall in general.

I'd always argue that you pay your ticket price for the band not the right to be entertained and I knew well what can happen at a Fall gig when I bought my ticket.

However, the Dublin gig was a real low and went beyond what I expect from him. It wasn't punk rock, quite the opposite, it was a guy taking the piss out of his fans. I found it a little insulting.

I'm still a massive fan but I'll find it hard to invest in The Fall as a live entity in future.

I agree with that. I was unaware he left after 20 minutes. With people spending hard earned money and even getting flights over from England (from other forums I've read), even if it is The Fall, I would have felt cheated and bitterly disappointed to see that little of him onstage.

Advertisement