Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early maternity leave

Options
  • 15-07-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has taken their maternity leave early, and if so, if they had to provide a letter from their doctor or similar? I am 20 weeks pregnant and having a very hard time at work recently (changes to my role etc). I'm really unhappy and it's impacting my life outside work hugely too. I know Citizen's Advice says you can take maternity leave anytime from 26 weeks and I'm seriously considering finishing up around 32 weeks (if I can last that long!). It will be difficult financially as my company doesn't pay maternity leave so I would just get social welfare but think it's worth it for my own well-being. Would love to hear from anyone who's been in a similar situation. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I finished early last time at about 35 weeks,it was lovely to have time to relax compared to the few days with my 1st.
    The big disadvantages being due back earlier:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lishie

Thanks Moonbeam, that's another reason I'd like to finish early - so I can spend a little time with my 2 year old before the new arrival. Did you have to provide any explanation to your employers or were they grand when you said you wanted to finish at 35 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Yeah I went a month early because my mam was sick and needed me, i also went ten days over so had a good long time off. As said above, going back earlier was very hard but i soon got into the swing of it and have since reduced my hours by a day. I feel the pinch but because my company isn't doing well financially they were happy for me to do it and in return gave me set shifts of 9-5.30 which makes all the difference to me set. Best of luck and congratulations!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

No they did not mind at all and it was the week before Christmas so suited everyone :)

Advertisement