Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the UK for better money

Options
  • 15-07-2012 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Is it worth it?

I have a relatively ok job here for a multinational. I am pretty much as far along as I can go in this role - something else may come up but this is it for time being. We have more than most - a nice house here in a nice area but are still barely managing as is.

Possibility has come up of doing a better job in the same area in the uk for the same company. I'd be making as much as both of us are here currently.

I would be able to live wherever I wanted in the midlands/ South of England.

Would you do it?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

I'd move if the Job was better, why not.

Maybe get a place where you can rent month to month for the first 1-2 months and find an area right for you.

UK is a doddle anyway, just a short ferry trip over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'd just go and take the job!

The UK's hardly a culture shock. Everything is pretty much done the same way as in Ireland. You can speak the same language, eat the same food, watch the same TV, live in similar houses, drive the same types of car on the same side of the road.

They even do binge drinking and moaning about stuff much like we do!

Just swap the elected figure head president for a less democratic figure head hereditary monarchy and one bunch of useless politicians for a different bunch of useless politicians.

Same bad weather too :D

All-in-all, you'd feel fairly at home.

Also, it's the only destination in the world (including the EU) where you will be treated *exactly* as if you're a local. You can even fully participate in British elections without changing citizenship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Yeah, you can do everything you did at home and you can immerse yourself in the many different cultures to be found in the bigger cities.

It's not all bad :)

Advertisement