Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what are YOUR ideas to revive Limerick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Did any of ye here consider running for local elections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

You wouldnt get in unless you were a rugby player or a clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

leakyboots wrote: »
    Did any of ye here consider running for local elections?

It would be fairly hard to get elected. As an independent, no matter how good you are, you'd need to have a significant local profile. The alternative route is to become a member of a party and get their nomination, which in itself would be very difficult if you looked like you might shake things up a bit or if there was a party hack waiting in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

kilburn wrote: »

Now that made me laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

kilburn wrote: »

And now we have someone who is both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Here's my 2c worth:
    Stop this nonsense redevelopment (destroyal) of the Theatre Royal, and for a fraction of the cost of the proposed project, get it opened again. It's the perfect size, in the perfect location, to bring original music and film back into the city centre.

The head(s) of the VEC have blocked all efforts to use it in it's proper form since it closed many years ago. Shame on them.

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Would Dolans block such a move?

Not at all. First: on what grounds? Second: neither Dolans nor any other business have a 'right' to trade exclusivly. Third: Mick Dolan isn't so small minded or petty!

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I didn't mean that they would block it on the grounds that it would steal business, but a theatre royal opening would take a lot of big gigs from Dolans, as the Theatre Royal is (or at least was) a better venue imo.

I don't see what's wrong with the proposal for the Theatre Royal. It'll do a lot for that part of the city centre. Check it out here.

http://www.limerickroyal.ie/

• Advertisement

What's wrong with it, in my opinion, is that it's completely dismantling a live theatre & music venue. I'm very much in favour of the idea of the 4 smaller cinema screens, but this could be done anywhere, and not at the expense of what was designed specifically as a theatre.

Just to clarify, there is no stage in the new design.

g

They could build a private hospital, it would provide some jobs.

If towns like Tralee can have a private hospital, surely there should be 1 here?

How about upgrading the maternity ?

Years of neglect from the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Where's the private hospital in Tralee? I have friends there who'd travel to Limerick or Cork if they were critically I'll rather than use the local hospital.

We also have a private hospital in the city centre anyway.

And who is "they"? This thread is about "you"!

ninty9er wrote: »
    Where's the private hospital in Tralee? I have friends there who'd travel to Limerick or Cork if they were critically I'll rather than use the local hospital.

We also have a private hospital in the city centre anyway.

And who is "they"? This thread is about "you"!

I do feel like I'm constantly spoon feeding you. Maybe you could do just a little research before asking the most basic of qustions in future?

http://www.bonsecoursireland.org/index.cfm/page/tralee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

liammur wrote: »

If towns like Tralee can have a private hospital, surely there should be 1 here?

Barringtons Hospital on George's Quay is a private hospital that's already here.

Didn't the Beacon Medical Group plan on opening a private hospital near the Regional, I think they've since run into trouble sourcing funding.

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Barringtons Hospital on George's Quay is a private hospital that's already here.

Didn't the Beacon Medical Group plan on opening a private hospital near the Regional, I think they've since run into trouble sourcing funding.

Unfortunately Barringtons has only a very limited list of procedures now.

There were plans, also plans for a hospital on the dock road, but that also ran aground. The maternity is also a joke. Government can stimulate the region by investing in key projects like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

liammur wrote: »

Drive out the dock road, have a look to your left at the junction of the last road on your left before you approch the roundabouts at the interchange with the bypass (N18), that's what remains of the most recent attempt to build a private hospital in Limerick. I did hear that work was being started there again but not sure if that was on H&S grounds to make the site safe or an effort to re-establish the project.

There is private hospital in Barringtons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Its 2012 so an.....................End of the world festival / party...
    heard of something similar being organised in the US.....What would it consist of?:confused: ....Things to do before u die?

Maybe not......:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Limerick is a lovely city, but the reputation for anti social behaviour keeps tourists away. Maybe divide the city into areas with one person responsible for maintaining order in their area.

Kind of like how gangster Mikey Kelly used to years ago. I wouldn't mind paying €1 a week for peace of mind.

Limerick is a lovely city, but the reputation for anti social behaviour keeps tourists away. Maybe divide the city into areas with one person responsible for maintaining order in their area.

Kind of like how gangster Mikey Kelly used to years ago. I wouldn't mind paying €1 a week for peace of mind.

Yes you would when it gets to 100 a week , and then a percentage a week - daft idea

• Advertisement

I am paying for this already in my taxes and USC.

phog wrote: »
    Drive out the dock road, have a look to your left at the junction of the last road on your left before you approch the roundabouts at the interchange with the bypass (N18), that's what remains of the most recent attempt to build a private hospital in Limerick. I did hear that work was being started there again but not sure if that was on H&S grounds to make the site safe or an effort to re-establish the project.

The developer went bust as far as I know. Think he was an electrician who made a lot of money in the Celtic Tiger era, and got a lot of finance off the banks. These private hospitals that sprang up around the country were a symptom of Mary Harney's disastrous policy of developing a two-tiered health system so that there would be big profits to be made. If any good has come out of the recession, it's that these projects were stopped in their tracks, as they would have caused a lot more harm than good.

phog wrote: »
    I am paying for this already in my taxes and USC.

And they would'nt break your legs if you can't or won't pay ! I can't believe we are having this conversation.

zulutango wrote: »
    The developer went bust as far as I know. Think he was an electrician who made a lot of money in the Celtic Tiger era, and got a lot of finance off the banks. These private hospitals that sprang up around the country were a symptom of Mary Harney's disastrous policy of developing a two-tiered health system so that there would be big profits to be made. If any good has come out of the recession, it's that these projects were stopped in their tracks, as they would have caused a lot more harm than good.

On the contrary, it was 1 of the good things to happen. If you pay for health insurance, you should be entitled to a service. That's what happens with most things in most countries.

I hear a new cinema is opened in the city in Cecil St, that's certainly welcome news.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Its proberly been said here already. Extend the prison into St Joes hospital.
    Give some criminals a proper sentence instead of this revolving door system where criminals are no sooner in and they are back out on the street.
    Theres to many criminals walking the streets of Ireland. Blue coller and white coller alike.
    Regeneration has ruined limerick city and county.
    Limerick cant be revived with criminals having no respect for anyone or anything.
    All the big gangs in Limerick have been locked up and fair play to the Guardi.
    But theres tons of criminals who are not in any gangs, who walk the streets
    because there is no room for them in the prisons.
    There is no fair justice in Ireland. No acountablility.
    There will be no reviving Limerick with out justice and acountability.
    That goes for the whole of Ireland.
    And I cant see that happening any time soon.
    Our government lacks a back bone.
    Its going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
    The OP is trying to be positive and we need that.
    But lets call a spade a spade, the whole of the Ireland is sinking in its own greed.
    LOCKING UP THE CRIMINALS WOULD BE A GOOD START

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

The only thing than can revive a failing city is to find out what could be causing that decline.

I think their is a decline. Personally, i there is far too many unemployed people in Limerick city. If unemployed people in Limerick were working they would be spending more too and Limerick businesses would be keeping their doors open and not worrying about closing. Instead we allow this uncertainty to continue on, nobody fixing the problem, so the inevitable retail closures occur because of that. I honestly have know idea what Irish politicians and the IDA are doing currently to bring jobs here to the city. Seems like there doing nothing if you ask me. How many factory locations still remain unoccupied three years later after Dell left. Thousands of companies are in operation around the globe. Surely their is a cost benefit for one of those companies to set up in Limerick city.

I've a job, but i have friends only used to work for companies associated with Dell. Nowadays they just sit about no work for them. They are not lazy people, they just can't find work. One of my friends would work for minimum wage or a bit less just to to be doing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I grew up in London , and lived in Dublin for ten years. Both cities hava much higher crime rate than Limerick city, but it doesn't keep tourists away.I think Limerick people have to stop using anti-social behaviour as an excuse for it's desolate city centre.

I've just moved back to work in Limerick after ten years, and I am shocked at how much the city has changed. No late night cafe's or evening cultural events in the city centre. The parking is just a joke. I had to walk for 20 minutes the other day to find a shop that sold parking discs, then to be told I had to pay €2 for 2 hours parking, on what was a derelict street. The first thing I would do to revive Limerick is make all parking free in city centre.

The only thing than can revive a failing city is to find out what could be causing that decline.

I think their is a decline. Personally, i there is far too many unemployed people in Limerick city. If unemployed people in Limerick were working they would be spending more too and Limerick businesses would be keeping their doors open and not worrying about closing. Instead we allow this uncertainty to continue on, nobody fixing the problem, so the inevitable retail closures occur because of that. I honestly have know idea what Irish politicians and the IDA are doing currently to bring jobs here to the city. Seems like there doing nothing if you ask me. How many factory locations still remain unoccupied three years later after Dell left. Thousands of companies are in operation around the globe. Surely their is a cost benefit for one of those companies to set up in Limerick city.

I've a job, but i have friends only used to work for companies associated with Dell. Nowadays they just sit about no work for them. They are not lazy people, they just can't find work. One of my friends would work for minimum wage or a bit less just to to be doing something.

No doubt about it. Until the govt and the IDA change their policy stance towards Limerick, the place will continue to decline. Things like free parking are welcome but they are merely scratching at the surface. The time is coming when many people in Limerick won't be able to run a car. The money is simply not in the city.

panda100 wrote: »
    I grew up in London , and lived in Dublin for ten years. Both cities hava much higher crime rate than Limerick city, but it doesn't keep tourists away.I think Limerick people have to stop using anti-social behaviour as an excuse for it's desolate city centre.

I've just moved back to work in Limerick after ten years, and I am shocked at how much the city has changed. No late night cafe's or evening cultural events in the city centre. The parking is just a joke. I had to walk for 20 minutes the other day to find a shop that sold parking discs, then to be told I had to pay €2 for 2 hours parking, on what was a derelict street. The first thing I would do to revive Limerick is make all parking free in city centre.

What will happen then is the workers will park for the full day and eliminate parking for their customers.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »

Agree with your first point, but the second one (about parking) is a red herring. There's loads of multi-storey car parks in the city centre where you could park. If we want the city to thrive again, there's a few things that need to be addressed. The main one is that we have a suburban population, and whether we like it or not, they are going to want to shop in the suburbs for the most part. There's no getting around that, no matter what the parking conditions are like in the city centre. If we try and get people living in or near the city again, then it will begin to thrive again.

Everything we do in developing our city centre must be to make it an attractive place to live, i.e. build parks, playgorunds, cycle lanes, clean the streets frequently, make the city more aesthetically pleasing, incentivise evening activities. The retail sector and vibrancy of the city will naturally follow once we make those efforts.

Advertisement