Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sucessful treatments for ringworm??

• 15-07-2012 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hi there - Im looking for a bit of insight into the best treatment for ringworm in a kitten, and the adult cat I have cant use them either.

He is too young for oral meds and the vet has prescribed me some topical get stuff that i apply and wash off.

I was wondering what peoples experiences of getting rid of ringworm, what you have found to be the most successful way .....im even open to suggestions of homeopathy things to use along side the vet stuff

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Unfortunately, the conventional treatments are the best. Topical washes and creams are your best shot at getting rid of ringworm. I have heard of people using Tea Tree oil to treat it, but with limited success as I'm not so sure it could be used directly on an animal.

Just to note - ringworm is very contagious, everything that comes into contact with your cats will need to either be disinfected or dumped (bedding, food bowls etc). It can spread to humans pretty easily too so try to handle your cats with gloves and wash your hands well after being in contact with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

Hi thanks for that...I'm hoping that some other pets owners might share their success stories as different vets have different opinions on what works and what doesn't. I'm having to change the approach because my vets treatment isn't responding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It takes at least 3-4 weeks of any treatment to make a difference. Don't give up just yet! What is the name of the gel your vet recommended?

Bear in mind that the ringworm infection maybe more widespread on the cat or kitten than just the bare patches you can see. That's why medicinal baths or an oral medicine are more effective forms of treatment than applying a cream or gel to the bald spots.

Itrafungol (the oral treatment) is best for severe cases but it is expensive and has some side effects. It can be used to treat kittens.

Human anti-fungal creams like Canesten or Daktarin are too easy for the cat to wash off with his paws.

Some vets recommend dabbing the spots with dilute Hibiscrub (the pink surgical scrub) or bathing the cat every few days with Hibiscrub for at least three weeks. But although Hibiscrub is an anti-fungal, it's not effective against the different species of fungi that cause ringworm.

A vet I know recommends baths in the veterinary disinfectant Virkon twice a week for three weeks and this is effective, without being too harsh on the skin, surprisingly.

Another vet I know recommends spot-treatment with dilute Betadine (the brown surgical scrub) or tincture of iodine. Supposed to be very effective in mild cases, but it does stain. Again, you have to treat for at least 3-4 weeks.

Out of interest, how does the ringworm appear, and how did your vet diagnose it?

Ringworm is a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bobbin10

Hi I don't know if anyone has any insight but one of my cats has a small bald patch on the top of his head about the size if a 2c coin. He doesn't seem bothered by it in the slightest, not scratching at it or over cleaning. Is it something I need to be concerned about?? He is 11 months old, the area is not red or inflammed. Any advice would be great ;o))

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Ringworm is very difficult to clear in cats - can take weeks and in very severe generalised cases I have seen it take months, with continued anti-fungal treatment in combination with 2-3x weekly washes in anti-bacterial/anti-fungal shampoo - which as you can imagine in cats is not that much fun.
    But do persevere because it can be cured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Bobbin10 wrote: »
    Hi I don't know if anyone has any insight but one of my cats has a small bald patch on the top of his head about the size if a 2c coin. He doesn't seem bothered by it in the slightest, not scratching at it or over cleaning. Is it something I need to be concerned about?? He is 11 months old, the area is not red or inflammed. Any advice would be great ;o))

Any unusual skin patches will need to be looked at by a vet to get a correct diagnosis (and treatment advice). It could look like one thing and actually be something else and the last thing you want to end up doing is treating your animal for something he/she doesn't have and leaving the unknown problem untreated! Best see a vet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bobbin10

Bobbin10 wrote: »

Any unusual skin patches will need to be looked at by a vet to get a correct diagnosis (and treatment advice). It could look like one thing and actually be something else and the last thing you want to end up doing is treating your animal for something he/she doesn't have and leaving the unknown problem untreated! Best see a vet :)

Thanks guys, popped to vets this evening to ask advice and said to keep an eye, I will see how he is tomorrow as tonight when I got home from work I looked at the patch again closely and I can see hair growing back in the whole area which leads me to think that he may of caught himself on something. Am praying that it is just that as I'd say trying bath him would completely stress him out. Fingers crossed 

Advertisement