Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random question but does anyone know why UCD has two crests...?

Options
  • 15-07-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

It seems like they replaced an old crest with two new ones a few years back (might be wrong there?)

Just wondering if theres a specific reason for this.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Is there two new ones? I was only aware of the one. They changed to a newer, more cartoony style in 2005 to snaze things up a bit, and use the term "UCD Dublin". As far as I know though the old, more classy looking one is still used on degree certificates and official things like that.

There's a black and white one for black and white only situations like exam scripts. And some clubs may have their own crests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Is there two new ones? I was only aware of the one. They changed to a newer, more cartoony style in 2005 to snaze things up a bit, and use the term "UCD Dublin". As far as I know though the old, more classy looking one is still used on degree certificates and official things like that.

There's a black and white one for black and white only situations like exam scripts. And some clubs may have their own crests.

I could be completely wrong but for some reason I have the feeling that the older classy looking one is actually also an updated version?

Whats weird though is that both crests are on the degree certificates which I find quite strange. It seems to imply that they stand for different things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 348 ✭✭Actor

Only one of the crests is granted by the Chief Herald of Ireland. The cartoony one is a graphic design mimic of the proper crest. It exists to homogenise the identities of the various schools, departments, institutes and faculties; many of whom had their own identites and this was deemed "confusing" by the morketing people. No doubt there'll be another graphic designer who knows better than the college founders in a few years once the new crest "goes out of fashion".

Anyway, each has its own function.

Advertisement