Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conditioning your feet for recruit training ... Tips ???

• 15-07-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi lads ,
    any good ways to toughen up your feet before starting recruit training so you wont suffer as much with blisters etc and then wont be suffering as much on tabs ???
    heard a load of different ways like first take off the dead skin off your feet with one of them stones you get in the chemist and then start applying surgical spirit .. other people have said methylated spirits .. even been told use piss lol
    what actually works ???
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Just walk around the house and garden barefoot for a few weeks. It will toughen them up a small bit.

You are going to get blisters so just get used to the idea. As soon as you start running in the issue boots you will get minor foot annoyances.

Best tips:
    • Buy a mixture of blister plasters, scholl etc and use when needed.
    • Put foot powder into your socks morning, after lunch and after dinner (depending on activity level).
    • When you get your issue boots......get the correct size, too tight or too loose and you are fecked!
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

walk on hot coals!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

pee on your feet when your in the shower. its supposed to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

An Army medic once recommended rubbing Methylated spirits on your feet. Where you'd get enough to rub anywhere is a whole other story...

However the secret is get used to wearing boots-not runners. Bin the converse, go old school with a pair of doc martins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

If you want to go down the methylated spirits route then buy this suff:

THIS

It's a small bottle, dilute it in a bucket of water and soak your feet in it for 5 minutes, take them out to air dry and repeat another 2 times.

Do this once a week for 3 weeks and your feet will be a lot harder.

I dont recommend it and I doubt you will need to do it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

The new issue boots are fine. Your going to get blisters regardless due to friction. But you wont be hopping about in "parade boots" or hobnails so you won't need feet of steel. I would however get used to running / walking distance in boots. As you will feel it in your calves.

Walking barefoot around the house and garden will slightly toughen feet. I havn't heard anyone using methylated spirits in a long time.

The new issue boots are fine. Your going to get blisters regardless due to friction. But you wont be hopping about in "parade boots" or hobnails so you won't need feet of steel. I would however get used to running / walking distance in boots. As you will feel it in your calves.

Walking barefoot around the house and garden will slightly toughen feet. I havn't heard anyone using methylated spirits in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Don't for you'll need to condition other parts of your body too.

Sitting on a banana every night for a week should do the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

BigDuffman wrote: »
    The new issue boots are fine.

I got issued the new hard toe safety boot and for the first time since recruit training (wearing new boots in bks) I was blistered on both heels in the first few days, and believe me I haven't blistered in almost 28 years ~ so you're fecked OP lol.

OP you're gonna blister either way.. Personally I favor lots of vaseline (to take the sgts boot out of your arse), to cut down on friction and gradually your feet will be conditioned as your boots break in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

thermo wrote: »
    pee on your feet when your in the shower. its supposed to work

Hmmm might be showing my age but I thought the pee went into the boots? Urea supposed to soften leather etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭beco2010

great going for my interview next week, at least now when i am asked would i be prepared for recruit training, i can reply yes sir i have been pissing on my feet all week

I got issued the new hard toe safety boot and for the first time since recruit training (wearing new boots in bks) I was blistered on both heels in the first few days, and believe me I haven't blistered

Wasn't aware that they are issuing hard toes these days thought it was just the slipper like magnums. Are all units getting em Mak or just arty etc?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

HAIX Tibet forest sold by www.brixworkwear.com in monaghan (hard toes) on issue to all CS units i believe? engineer, arty, transport, etc. infantry just use the regular HAIX tibet boot.

I shall personally be getting meindl army pro gore boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Wasn't aware that they are issuing hard toes these days thought it was just the slipper like magnums. Are all units getting em Mak or just arty etc?

All units will be issued with the new boots, both the Magnum's and the HAIX ~ both boot are still the original boot apart from the safety toe.. Its not steel, I'm told its some kind of composite material.. Either way they're bloody uncomfortable and heavy now.

I have the HAIX but haven't had to wear them yet ~ I'm dreading those MoFo's :mad:

But like all things, we'll grow to love 'em in time :p

Advertisement