Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vistakon, Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Might call up looking for a summer job during the week :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

what area are the jobs in does anyone know?

Edit: are the the line (minimum wage) or third level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well reading some of the posts on this thread, its not a great place to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Roquentin wrote: »
    what are the chances of getting into these factories (vistakon, stryker etc) i applied for both but didnt get in
    Stryker are in the process of reducing their workforce so zero chance there.
    Stryker is expected to create hundreds of jobs at a new global centre of excellence (RTE)

Stryker Corporation plans to build the new facility at Carrigtwohill, east Cork. It's expected this will be built before the end of the year, and that it will be a centre of global excellence for the firm.

Stryker employs over 1,000 staff across three plants in Ireland. It was founded by US orthopaedic surgeon Dr Homer Stryker in 1941 and has more than 25,000 people worldwide.

Stryker has two plants at the IDA site in Carrigtwohill, where it makes minimally-invasive surgical instruments and hip replacements, and currently employs around 700 people.

Another 500 are employed in a factory in Raheen, Limerick.

Stryker (Howmedica) in Raheen have been making surgical instruments and hip replacements since the 1970’s too.

Why is Stryker (Howmedica) reducing its workforce now? :confused:

Stryker is expected to create hundreds of jobs at a new global centre of excellence (RTE)

Stryker Corporation plans to build the new facility at Carrigtwohill, east Cork. It's expected this will be built before the end of the year, and that it will be a centre of global excellence for the firm.

Stryker employs over 1,000 staff across three plants in Ireland. It was founded by US orthopaedic surgeon Dr Homer Stryker in 1941 and has more than 25,000 people worldwide.

Stryker has two plants at the IDA site in Carrigtwohill, where it makes minimally-invasive surgical instruments and hip replacements, and currently employs around 700 people.

Another 500 are employed in a factory in Raheen, Limerick.

Stryker (Howmedica) in Raheen have been making surgical instruments and hip replacements since the 1970’s too.

Why is Stryker (Howmedica) reducing its workforce now? :confused:

Stryker Limerick is ramping up its automated line so temporary staff have been let go. It had closer to 600 working there last year. More temporary staff are due to be let go this year. A lot of the work done in Limerick is by hand, or at least it used to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Scar001

Stryker Limerick makes femoral components not hips nor surgical components. No new femoral products developed in about 10 years.
    As stated automated line probably cuts about 120 jobs.
    Cost base in Limerick is really high
    - well paid directs
    - well paid in-directs
    - defined benefit pensions

Needs about 2 years to get back on track.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Did 2×11 month contracts in there a few years ago.I hated every single day of it.12 hours lifting boxs of lenses on to a machine constantly with only 2 x 15 min breaks and a 25 min lunch. It took at least 15 mins to get food and find a seat in the canteen most days! Rig leads were horrible bullies, have seen people cry in there. The same rig leads are getting bullied by their boss . It's a horrible atmosphere and you can see it on peoples faces in there. It's a good enough wage but it's hard mentally and physically. I worked in the 90 pack and reprocessing rig. This is where CPL do a lot of hiring.

Scar001 wrote: »
    Stryker Limerick makes femoral components not hips nor surgical components. No new femoral products developed in about 10 years.
    - well paid directs
    - well paid in-directs

Correct. Meant to state that in my last post.

I think any future expansion will be in their Simplex (bone cement) department or so I've been told anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Vistakon plans to create 200 more jobs in Limerick (Limerick Leader) :)

Limerick could be in line for another major boost with Johnson & Johnson understood to be planning to add 200 jobs to its ranks at the Vistakon facility in the National Technology Park.

Is the Limerick Leader just reheating the story about €100 million investment that was announced in 2013?

In 2013, J&J Vistakon said that it would take about two years for their €100 million investment to come on stream.

We're now just 2 after the 2013 investment announcement.

Scar001 wrote: »
    - well paid directs
    - well paid in-directs

Correct. Meant to state that in my last post.

I think any future expansion will be in their Simplex (bone cement) department or so I've been told anyway.

Thanks, I seem to be out of touch with some of my old friends who work in Howmedica.

They use to make the components for hip implants, like the one they made for the late Pope John Paul II.

I know from a good source in Shannon whose company has been manufacturing surgical instruments for Howmedica for many a year.

It seems that these products have been transferred to Stryker (Cork) along time ago.

So is the future of Stryker (Limerick) secure?

• Advertisement

hinault wrote: »
    Is the Limerick Leader just reheating the story about €100 million investment that was announced in 2013?

In 2013, J&J Vistakon said that it would take about two years for their €100 million investment to come on stream.

This seems to be an additional expansion to the 2013 one.

According to the Sunday Times, this announcement follows a €100m investment in a significant expansion of the Vistakon manufacturing operation in 2013, which resulted in the creation of 200 construction jobs and 100 permanent jobs at the plant.

Thanks, I seem to be out of touch with some of my old friends who work in Howmedica.

They use to make the components for hip implants, like the one they made for the late Pope John Paul II.

I know from a good source in Shannon whose company has been manufacturing surgical instruments for Howmedica for many a year.

It seems that these products have been transferred to Stryker (Cork) along time ago.

So is the future of Stryker (Limerick) secure?

Hopefully. The place caught fire a while ago.

But it more than likely is because the have a foundry. I've heard it more or less impossible to get a foundry licence in the EU these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

That came on alright, believe that was the sap development centre, people started working there a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I just got one of there automated emails there this week looking for process technicians - April Start date

• Registered Users Posts: 2 i_loveMy_Job

I hear everyone in Vistakon are looking for a job in regeneron I would advise as I am working there not to even come near the place , I should have never left my last job to go work for such bad managers , I have never seen a place run so bad , I was lured by the pay and to be honest the extra 20k that I am getting is not worth the daily abuse and harrisment from management in this place , If you value yourself and your family time stay a mile away from this place , dell where I worked was a king compaired to this crowded , I am currently looking to get out here and I am even looking at vistakon now so that should tell people about this so called great place to work regeneron.

I like the extra 20k $$$$$$

We all need to paid correct !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I like the extra 20k $$$$$$

We all need to paid correct !!

You signed up to post this???

• Registered Users Posts: 2 i_loveMy_Job

You signed up to post this???

Dear sir's you are correct .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Does anyone know how to tailor a CV for Visakon application, What they are looking for in a process technician? Doing for a friend and not my area of expertise
    Many Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Agent_99 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to tailor a CV for Visakon application, What they are looking for in a process technician? Doing for a friend and not my area of expertise
    Many Thanks

Here is the job spec for the role

http://jobs.jnj.com/job/Limerick-Process-Technicians-February-Starts-Job/242155100/

They are very exacting regarding documentation and procedure, so wouldn't be a good idea to have typos!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 khgaa

Anybody here know what life is like for the engineers in Vistakon?

Is it as bad as what the PT have to endure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Anyone know if these are all degree level positions at Vistakon? or are there some entry level/unskilled positions? (not educational qualifications)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Devastator wrote:
    8? sh*t!!! The years are merging together

Mr.H wrote:
    Anyone know if these are all degree level positions at Vistakon? or are there some entry level/unskilled positions? (not educational qualifications)

I thing you would nearly want a degree just to work on the lines as a General Operative now. You can get in to an unskilled position on a contract through Flexsourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

ComfortKid wrote:
    I thing you would nearly want a degree just to work on the lines as a General Operative now. You can get in to an unskilled position on a contract through Flexsourse.

You'd need some mechanical or electrical qualification and/or experience to get a directly employed tech job, not necessarily a degree. I don't think a job on the lines is a good career path for a graduate. Somebody working there and then getting a degree is something else entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArnieSilvia

One of the recruiters I spoke with said that once the V word is mentioned, people hang up. Horrible place to work due to tough management and coworkers.

To illustrate, my best mate worked there on the production line, he said that when he was in trouble with the line others stood watching and laughing while he was sweating trying to fix the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

its the worst place i have ever worked ..dreadful place ..i started with 20 people we were all gone in 12 months ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

My brother started there in the last few weeks and loves it. Says all the lads and management on his line are dead sound and there's no problems. He has seen other lines with the behavior outlined previously on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

i'm on the look out for work at the mo....is vistakon best avoided?? worked on the production line in dell and hated it..will this be similar?

Advertisement