Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Success?

Options
  • 15-07-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

So I now find myself on the verge of becoming a success, within 1 month, in a profession I have no experience in (and pretty much still have no clue about, but with positions shifting about so much, I appear to be doing well). which has led me to contemplate the meaning of success itself, as I spent years in my previous position working hard, only to have some 3-weeker become my supervisor.

What have I learned - I don't know what success really is!

What does matter is what do we boardsie's feel is the definition of success?

What is your definition of success? 180 votes

Success is continually making enough money to meet all basic needs (home, food, etc.)
    0% 0 votes
    Success is doing better than the people you socialize with.
    11% 21 votes
    Success is all about nurturing a great relationship with family members and friends.
    2% 4 votes
    Success is all about the career - Rise to the top and take no prisoners.
    18% 33 votes
    Success is about the career - keep the head down and be the cog that requires the least maintenance.
    2% 5 votes
    Success is about re-defining success in your own way.
    3% 6 votes
    Success is about having the biggest house and the biggest car (and loving that everyone hates you).
    15% 27 votes
    Success is the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.
    2% 5 votes
    Success is denying others any advantage in life (?????, though know someone who fits it).
    7% 13 votes
    Success is inspiring others to action or inaction.(control freaks).
    1% 3 votes
    Success is having a high Thanks - Post ratio and stop reminding me of the real world.
    3% 6 votes
    Success is not letting anybody down if they need you (friends, family and strangers if you like).
    5% 10 votes
    Success is finding the cleverly hidden grammatical errors and pointing them out.
    10% 19 votes
    The one you though I forgot about.
    2% 5 votes
    Success is facing and besting the mighty Atari Jaguar with a sharp stick and witty one-liners.
    7% 14 votes
    Success is knowing what an Atari Jaguar is without Boards.ie
    5% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Peeling a mandarin and getting all of the skin off in one go, and making it look like a star in the process. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

A thread not being locked in 10 minutes or a worthwhile thread to contribute to being created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I don't even what to go down this road because success just ain't in it currently :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

When your thriving in your job and happy with your life, can't get any better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

You have succesfully managed to annoy me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I find this a more appropriate question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0vM0VnpR_w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You have achieved success if you have lived well, laughed often and loved much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Success is what you make it OP

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

succes is something i let others worry about. I am just happy being me. Nothing to write home about but im still happy out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 buzzardflute

Having the power to look at the little that you have.And blow it into excessive proportions that makes you tingle every time you think about how much a security guard can make in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ambient Occlusion

Eating the heart of your deceased enemy to gain his/her power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

At age 4, success is…not peeing your pants.

At age 12, success is…having friends.

At age 20, success is…having sex.

At age 35, success is…making money.

At age 60, success is…having sex.

At age 70, success is…having friends.

At age 80, success is…not peeing your pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

success is money

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

wow, 30 years of without any success and I stumble into a little, and the angry internet brigade start throwing cabbage at my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Great family and friends :)

As nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they processed more work in the office

So don't be the office martyr

As you can kill yourself in work and your boss might still get rid of you for the FÁS free labour scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Senna wrote: »
    At age 4, success is…not peeing your pants.

At age 12, success is…having friends.

At age 20, success is…having sex.

At age 35, success is…making money.

At age 60, success is…having sex.

At age 70, success is…having friends.

At age 80, success is…not peeing your pants.

Stunning.

you rob that from somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Anyway, success is not dying.

so, it's sorta short-lived if you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

success is anything you set out to accomplish.

could mean anything really, from scaling k2 to not peeing down your leg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Success is not letting anybody down if they need you (friends, family and strangers if you like).

This.

The song is my philosophy in life. :cool:

• Advertisement

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Anyway, success is not dying.

so, it's sorta short-lived if you think about it.

Admirable goal, best of luck with it, though you have a better chance of peeing down your leg at the top of K2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To crush your enemies See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Success is all about nurturing a great relationship with family members and friends.

This is important but setting the bar pretty low as a definition for success.

humbert wrote: »
    This is important but setting the bar pretty low as a definition for success.

To some people it is the only measure of success, while to others it does not even rank.

For me I hate to admit that I have never had a great relationship with anyone, so I do not rank it high, success-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

wow, 30 years of without any success and I stumble into a little, and the angry internet brigade start throwing cabbage at my head.

just be happy yourself for whatever success you've achieved, you don't need a bunch of randommers on the interweb to pat you on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

To some people it is the only measure of success,

Call me a cynic but I suspect it is the only thing those people are particularly successful at.

I've a good relationship with family and friends but I sincerely hope my achievements don't stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Success is complete financial independence to do what you like.

just be happy yourself for whatever success you've achieved, you don't need a bunch of randommers on the interweb to pat you on the back.

Well I was not expecting a pat on the back, or cabbages to the head. But I am sure someday soon, someone is going to expect me to do some...work or something, so I may as well enjoy the good times while they last.

Crazy job is all about attitude, act like a dick and tell people you are all about the money and you get rewarded, then blame everyone else when it all goes tits up = huge success??:( .Not my idea of a happy lifestyle, but it is not like you can pick and choose what to do these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Success is the fulfillment of your goals no matter how medial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

its getting your mind free of what people think thus allowing you to be happy,content and allowing you to do........

what the fcuk you wannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna do

Advertisement