Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Success?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

its getting your mind free of what people think thus allowing you to be happy,content and allowing you to do........

what the fcuk you wannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna do

and what did your sister say then?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

and what did your sister say then?

Leave my sister out of this bro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Finding the G-spot in a fat bird

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

wow, 30 years of without any success and I stumble into a little, and the angry internet brigade start throwing cabbage at my head.

Who's throwing cabbage at your head?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Success is knowing enough to make others feel stupid. [√]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Who's throwing cabbage at your head?

It's just a netaphor (internet metaphor) sorry I just like to make up random 5!-!1t online and hope for the best- my own personal idea of success I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Can success really only be measured in the outer world? (as the poll implies) None of the options appeal to me, though all are important to an extent. I cant put my finger on what success would be. Biologically, success is raising children and continuing on the family line, socially success is having a place in society with lots of friends, academically success is getting published. Spiritually, success is knowing the nature of god. Maybe the latter comes closest!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

It's just a netaphor (internet metaphor) sorry I just like to make up random 5!-!1t online and hope for the best- my own personal idea of success I guess.

'Netaphor' for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

If Cess ain't there
    You can't suck Cess. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Being happy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Finding your optimum level of contentment. Be that through a combination of work, family, sport, love or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

TL;DR poll ffs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Life is an ongoing competition, if we like it or not. It's all about being better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Dont confuse happiness with success. Success is having lots of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Ask Bertie,

Success is when you are being loathed by an entire nation, yet can still pull jobs paying €100,000 + in Nigeria

Success is a tribunal against you that cost millions, then nothing becomes of it

Success is when you get handed brown envelopes but

ahh f**k it

now that's success

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Dont confuse happiness with success. Success is having lots of money.

No its not. You could have all the money in the world but have surrounded yourself with terrible people who care nowt for you. How is that living a successful life?

Sounds an awful lot more depressing than someone who has fantastic friends/partner/family and a job that sees them living comfortably.

Lots of money is success in business, usually, we can't all win the lotto. A successful life is more than that.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I know of a man who works and buys a paper and does a bit of shopping but seems to do nothing else .He's been that way for years .Contented with a few things .There are a few people who live like that .He's never angry or depressed or moody maybe it's the job that powers him .'know someone like that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Knex. wrote: »
    No its not. You could have all the money in the world but have surrounded yourself with terrible people who care nowt for you. How is that living a successful life?

Sounds an awful lot more depressing than someone who has fantastic friends/partner/family and a job that sees them living comfortably.

Lots of money is success in business, usually, we can't all win the lotto. A successful life is more than that.

To quote del boy about being rich:

"takes the sting out of being poor" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

You have achieved success if you have lived well, laughed often and loved much.

..and learned along the way! Pretty much my motto for life. I try not to compare myself to others (hard), but if you can wake up every morning and have something to look forward to, something to do,you're healthy,happy and hopefully have someone to love, that's success to me.Its the simple things for me. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

success is creating a poll where 276% of people voted

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Success is turning around and looking at what you have and being happy with it.

What does matter is what do we boardsie's feel is the definition of success?

To me success is acheiving your own goals. Not bettering the goals of others or beating anyone else.

Only you can decide what you want from life and where you want to be / get to. If you attain that - then you are successful in my opinion.

If all you want from life is to work in McDonalds and play computer games then if you have been working in McDonalds and playing computer games for the last 10 years then to me you have been successful.

Some peoples goals are more fluid - and on going - and may not even have an end "target" point to attain so they will never really get where they want to be because where they want to be changes.

For example my own goal / philosophy in life is to try in some way each day to better myself over the person I was the day before.

Intellectually - physically - "spiritually" - whatever. Some days I am successful - some days not. But I think over all I meet that goal and each day I learn some knowledge or skill I did not have the day before - push myself a little further physically than I could the day before - and so on. And I judge success and failure there against the standards I set the day before. Not the standards of others who I want to be better than - or feel worse than.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Success is becoming financially secure so that you can enjoy the more important things in life without stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Ms.M wrote: »
    Success is becoming financially secure so that you can enjoy the more important things in life without stress.

This. Having enough money to support your loved ones comfortably and to enjoy life with it.

Money isn't everything, but it helps an awful lot!

Advertisement