Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I assumed their houses were something to do with difficulty getting a decent mortgage.
    I know someone in NZ who spent ages looking for a nice solid house (non-wooden) with proper heating and insulation.
    The area is really posh and all the neighbours are loaded but live in what would be a standard house here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Slidey wrote: »
    Dont remember if this has been posted or not but their complete disregard for insulation, double glazing windows and putting tin roofs on million dollar houses is something I will always find strange
    The main reason for having thin tin roofs and no attic insulation is so that the heat does not remain in the property which is the complete opposite to what we want in cold countries.
    The same for large windows and double glazing, keep the heat out. I stayed in a suberbly insulated house in Canada in the winter and the summer and the heat retention is brilliant in winter but crucifying in some summer evenings.
    How we approach insulation in northern Europe turn it on its head and that is what is necessary for Australia. Queensland anyway.
    I am a joiner in my forties in it makes complete sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alice in DownUnderland

I love the escalator etiquitte - the way if you're going to stand on the escalator you stand to the left and if you're walking up you walk up the right side. Very civilised! ;)

I also like how people will shout a thank you to the bus driver, even if they are getting off through the middle door.

The abreviations and slang get on my tits though, particularly on the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I love the escalator etiquitte - the way if you're going to stand on the escalator you stand to the left and if you're walking up you walk up the right side. Very civilised! ;)

That's not an Australian thing. It's completely standard in any country with a urban rail network.
    I also like how people will shout a thank you to the bus driver, even if they are getting off through the middle door.
    Again, is that not pretty standard every where. Pretty sure I seen "saying thanks to bus drivers" on a list called "You know you're Irish if:"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Alice in DownUnderland

Mellor wrote: »
    That's not an Australian thing. It's completely standard in any country with a urban rail network.

Again, is that not pretty standard every where. Pretty sure I seen "saying thanks to bus drivers" on a list called "You know you're Irish if:"

Yes we definitely do thank bus driver's but usually only if you're getting off through the door beside them. I'd never seen somebody shout a thank you half way up the bus before I came here

As for the escalator thing, I'd just never seen it before I came here...Thanks for setting me straight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Yes we definitely do thank bus driver's but usually only if you're getting off through the door beside them. I'd never seen somebody shout a thank you half way up the bus before I came here

As for the escalator thing, I'd just never seen it before I came here...Thanks for setting me straight...

Actually aussies are pretty polite about it. They wont tell people to move.

In Madrid and london i have seen people shoved out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I don't think that escalator thing has caught on yet in Perth.

And yes, god help you if you clog the escalator in London and other major cities during the commuter rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Haha it hasnt caught on fully, especially not on days when im in a rush!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Have found myself in the last while saying "too easy"!! ..,,need to book a flight home fairly lively!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Call their mates cùnts and cúnts mates..

• Advertisement

I'll never get used to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

or their worst enemy is a bit of a bastard and their best mate is a complete bastard.

I've noticed a few memorials that cover the back window in cars.
    So and So's name with the birth date and the day the left us.
    A little morose for me but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I've noticed a few memorials that cover the back window in cars.
    So and So's name with the birth date and the day the left us.
    A little morose for me but each to their own.

It's a bit cheap if you ask me. Also the dilligaf stickers really annoy. Do I give 2 fu**s if you give a fu** or not?? Not really mate..

rightyabe wrote: »
    It's a bit cheap if you ask me. Also the dilligaf stickers really annoy. Do I give 2 fu**s if you give a fu** or not?? Not really mate..

oh, and the pair of testicles sometimes seen hanging of the tow bars of Utes.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

The amount of salt they put on food is unreal

cikearney wrote: »

and chicken salt ?????

however the mayonnaise is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

cikearney wrote: »

hardly an aussie thing, i load everything up with salt...........gota keep the heart on its toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

however the mayonnaise is superb.

eew! Thank god for Coles, get me some fatty Hellmanns mayo and Colmans mustard :pac: As for the salt, i love my salt but i really think aussies have developed some kind of genetic disability when it comes to being able to taste the stuff.

back to the weirdness, another fun past-time i've observed in my short time here is random acts of driving into houses.

• Advertisement

I think maybe the salt is added to replace the salt in your body when you sweat or to encourage you to drink more fluids..just like some pubs back home put free peanuts on the bar to get you to drink more beer..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Where do I start,

When they complain about 'pommies' and pretty much every other race on the planet, and the fact that you are beneath them if your not a 'true fackin blue aussie', never actually found out out what that was.

Going to places like Bali and singing ozzy ozzy ozzy oi oi fackin oi

Fackin oath mayte

being obsessed with being a hard c#@t and drinkin a fackin gallon of pi3s

going through life being incredibly crass and unrefined.

having aussie comedy gold, what the hell is that exactly?

drinking beer thats too cold to hold, and complaining about english beer.

men in their twenties and thirties acting and dressing like teenagers.

Oh yeah and the pineapple burger thing, wtf.

Those are coincidently probably all negative things, but weird nonetheless :))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Went to the movies last night, had to complain to staff about a guy in front of us who had has feet up on the chair in front of us, except they were bare and crusty looking.
    Bloody bogans!!

lufties wrote: »

When they complain about 'pommies' and pretty much every other race on the planet, and the fact that you are beneath them if your not a 'true fackin blue aussie', never actually found out out what that was.
    I always correct them when I'm called a pohmie as it stands for Prisoner of his Majesty in Exile, basically Australians!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

catbear wrote: »
    I always correct them when I'm called a pohmie as it stands for Prisoner of his Majesty in Exile, basically Australians!

That makes no sense tbh.
    That acronym isn't real, but even if it was. It would still mean somebody from Britain (in Oz).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

And the vast majority of Australians came after as Free Settlers the percentage of Convict Stock would be small, so no not basically Australians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Prisoner of Mother England

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

Its funny when you hear an ozzy pronouncing hostel the same as hotel, as in emphasising the "stel" at the end of hostel

Yeah, some ozzie workmates went to Vietnam on holiday and they stayed in a hos-stel...near wet meself laughing

• Advertisement

Tornado Potatoes !!!!

Advertisement