Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Gentle reminder this is about 'weird things aussies do' - not weird thing everyone does, or let's have a bitch and moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

lufties wrote: »
    Where do I start,

When they complain about 'pommies' and pretty much every other race on the planet, and the fact that you are beneath them if your not a 'true fackin blue aussie', never actually found out out what that was.

Going to places like Bali and singing ozzy ozzy ozzy oi oi fackin oi

Fackin oath mayte

being obsessed with being a hard c#@t and drinkin a fackin gallon of pi3s

going through life being incredibly crass and unrefined.

having aussie comedy gold, what the hell is that exactly?

drinking beer thats too cold to hold, and complaining about english beer.

men in their twenties and thirties acting and dressing like teenagers.

Oh yeah and the pineapple burger thing, wtf.

Those are coincidently probably all negative things, but weird nonetheless :))

You must have lived/worked in boganville central to come across Aussies like that. Personally I don't encounter people like this very much at all, maybe I am just hanging around with the only nice people in Aus!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

And the way they cut their baguettes from the top down instead of from the side in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Fines for being drunk that are enforced. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Fines for being drunk that are enforced. :eek:

563 dollars won't hurt that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

jackbhoy wrote: »
    You must have lived/worked in boganville central to come across Aussies like that. Personally I don't encounter people like this very much at all, maybe I am just hanging around with the only nice people in Aus!

Cairns, Gold coast, Newcastle, Brisbane and Perth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Pokies ruining pubs.

Aussie pubs take some getting used to when you're used to cozy Irish pubs, but pokie machines go the extra mile in making it look tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Agreed! I'm in Melbourne and haven't encountered many of those traits at all. The way some Irish people go on about the Aussies I was terrified coming over I'd hate the place but all I've met are normal people much like ourselves with the occassional clown which you'll find in every city in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Cairns, Gold coast, Newcastle, Brisbane and Perth.

Ah, that explains it :) . Personally, I might live temporarily in one or two of those places but never felt like the type of places I'd settle. It wasn't until I got to Victoria that I actually thought about living permanently in Aus.

I find a big difference in how I (generally) get along with people from different states in Aus, so I am always skeptical when I hear people (not referring to your op) who encountered racist rednecks in some woop woop town paint all Aussies with same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Lurching wrote: »
    Pokies ruining pubs.

Aussie pubs take some getting used to when you're used to cozy Irish pubs, but pokie machines go the extra mile in making it look tacky.

it gets weird when you listen to an aussie complain about how pokies have / are ruining pubs while they slot another dollar in.. the pubs would be much better if they removed the machines and returned the pool tables!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Hate pokies in pubs, it really sucks the life out of and turns many of them into tacky holes.
    Spending my formative years watching and listening to RTE/BBC sport, the blatant placement of sportsbet betting tips through pre game analysis and commentary really irks me. And they wonder why there is a gambling problem??
    Listening to Triple M (in the car after work and weekends) and their constant mention of the chemist warehouse scoreboard sh*ts me no end also. Couldn't compare them to BBC5 live at all.

Ah, that explains it :) . Personally, I might live temporarily in one or two of those places but never felt like the type of places I'd settle. It wasn't until I got to Victoria that I actually thought about living permanently in Aus.

I find a big difference in how I (generally) get along with people from different states in Aus, so I am always skeptical when I hear people (not referring to your op) who encountered racist rednecks in some woop woop town paint all Aussies with same brush.

Thanks for the heads up, perhaps melbs of Syd is better, I still have the perm residence and hence the option to return, see how it goes I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Spending my formative years watching and listening to RTE/BBC sport, the blatant placement of sportsbet betting tips through pre game analysis and commentary really irks me. And they wonder why there is a gambling problem??
    Listening to Triple M and their constant mention of the chemist warehouse scoreboard sh*ts me no end also.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1768676/SA-to-ban-live-sports-betting-ads-on-TV

and to a lesser extent.. http://www.mondaq.com/australia/x/238334/Gaming/Australian+gaming+machine+reforms+introduced+into+South+Australia
    though that doesn't really fix the problem, it's just a token effort! Still a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

You'll meet plenty of those types in construction. I've mostly worked on earthworks projects out here and I have to laugh sometimes when talking to people who struggle to get through a sentence without saying f*ck or c*nt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

A work colleague said the other day he thought Cadbury's was the nicest chocolate in the world (obviously referring to their candlewax Cadbury's) and said he was in Ireland a few years ago and didn't like the chocolate there at all. I didn't know where to begin to tell him how wrong he was but he'd never be able to understand! :pac:

Having been and gone from Perth, I was disappointed to hear that Bobby Dazzlers pub is gone and turned into some fancy, souless bar..it was a lovely cosy pub to watch sport or sink a few pints of coopers red ale, If there was ever a typical 'aussie pub', dazzler's was it..and of course they shut it down:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Listening to Triple M

There's your mistake - listening to the radio. I download the Hamish and Andy podcasts and that's it, the DJs generally seem to have a playlist of about four songs on a loop :confused:
    Having been and gone from Perth, I was disappointed to hear that Bobby Dazzlers pub is gone and turned into some fancy, souless bar..it was a lovely cosy pub to watch sport or sink a few pints of coopers red ale, If there was ever a typical 'aussie pub', dazzler's was it..and of course they shut it down:confused:

Ah the Boheme. A pub for pricks run by pricks. It's actually the same owners as the Moon and Sixpence a few doors up, just a wankier version.

They don't serve pints and it's about $10 for what they do sell. I was in there once with a friend and asked them could they switch one of the teles to the Socceroos game (they usually show AFL etc) and I was told to go next door for that sort of thing.

Horrible place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Sydney City Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Tornado Potatoes !!!!

My missus is addicted to them. Reckons when we go home she is gonna set up a 'twisty potato' stall and make a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I didn't know we were talking about weird things South Koreans do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Where I'm working the moment, everyone is "brother" to each other. :confused:

STIG83 wrote: »
    Where I'm working the moment, everyone is "brother" to each other. :confused:

Northside Dubliners say that too, auld lads like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The bus drivers in Melbourne not hearing the bell going for people wanting to get off. Not sure if that's weird or sloppy but I did find it funny.....until it happened to me, actually I found that funny too!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

it gets weird when you listen to an aussie complain about how pokies have / are ruining pubs while they slot another dollar in.. the pubs would be much better if they removed the machines and returned the pool tables!

Worked for an engineering firm until recently. One of the engineers told me that his first job was designing for an extension to a pokie room.

He said the manager of the place told him they make $10k per square metre per annum from pokies on average. This was just a run-of-the-mill pub, not in an area with a huge gambling issue or anything.

So they're probably going to be a bit resistant to getting rid of them any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its not about greed. A lot of the smaller pubs couldn't survive without the pokies

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

I definitely find the way they abbreviate everything the funniest: Salvo's and Vinnies rather than the Salvation Army and St Vincent de Paul.

I've even started to say Maccas :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

toodleytoo wrote: »
    I've even started to say Maccas :eek:
    a big step

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Is it not called Maccas ?

I still call Hungry Jacks Burger King

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Zambia wrote: »
    Is it not called Maccas ?

Officially yes

0801_maccas_sp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Yeah, i think they have it copyrighted and everything. Still, I find it unusual, I never would have called it anything other than McDonalds!

Advertisement