Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Officially yes

0801_maccas_sp.jpg

where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

lg123 wrote: »
    where is this?

They renamed a bunch of them around the country for the last Australia Day. There were about 3 near me changed to Macca's for a week. Haven't paid enough attention to see if they're back to normal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

Sucking pi$s.

giving out about bungs

Telling cants to get faaaaaacked.

and just generally facking smashin' it mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Did i mention ham in scones already? Ham, ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

ham and cheese croissants too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

where is this?

Engadine NSW

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

toodleytoo wrote: »
    ham and cheese croissants too!
    lol wut?
    Ham and cheese is a pretty standard croissant around the world.
    They are french after all, just like the Croque monsieur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mellor wrote: »
    lol wut?
    Ham and cheese is a pretty standard croissant around the world.
    They are french after all, just like the Croque monsieur.

I'm hungry now ... damn it!

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Engadine NSW
    really, i pass it nearly everyday and never noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

really, i pass it nearly everyday and never noticed.

It was up for a month or so January/February, like Popinjay says kinda promotional thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Receipts with invisible ink.

We keep every receipt for a while then go over them every couple of months for a clear out, and a load of them have faded into nothing.

Is this a sneaky ploy to avoid warranty or do they just use crappy heat paper ?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

We keep every receipt for a while then go over them every couple of months for a clear out, and a load of them have faded into nothing.

Most places use thermal receipt rolls these days (also in Ireland)
    If it's a receipt for a big figure, photocopy it, a Myer assistant actually advised me to do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That's possibly just the hotter weather or you're carrying them around in a wallet.
    Although that will normally cause the receipt to turn black.

There are actually some European Standards for receipt paper though.
    Maybe the Aussies are getting some cheaper / lower grade thermal paper or something?

Their version of Cadbury's chocolate is also waxier for the same reason. The normal Cadbury's chocolate formula melts too fast for the climate in Aus and it would have been introduced long before air conditioning and proper refrigeration was the norm there.

You also have to remember that Australia's high level of development is relatively recent compared to the USA, Canada or much of Western Europe for example. Things were relatively basic until the boom took off but they've really caught up fast since.

Like Aus had quite bad telecommunications infrastructure in the 1970s & 80s compared to Western Europe or North America once you got outside the big cities.

It also explains much of the oddly low building standards and stuff like that.

I'm not saying any of this to 'dis' Australia, its a great spot, but its boomy economy hasn't always been there.

It wasn't ever poor, but it certainly wasn't as loaded as it has been in recent years. Things were simpler and the quality of life was always pretty decent.

Think back to skippy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Australian chocolate BLOWS.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Australian chocolate BLOWS.

I have to say I don't mind it, there is some good stuff to be had here and it definitely beats the American crap!

That said a friend from home sent me some chocolate this week; it was heavenly.

stev2604 wrote: »
    I have to say I don't mind it, there is some good stuff to be had here and it definitely beats the American crap!

That said a friend from home sent me some chocolate this week; it was heavenly.

American chocolate (especially Hershey's) is a bit if an acquired taste! I think you have to grow up on it. It always smells a bit like sour milk to me.

I had to resort to eating Belgian chocolate in the states :) nom-nom-nom!

I know it's been said before but the barefoot thing is something I can't get my head around.

At Bunnings yesterday and a guy in his fifties walking through the puddles into the trade area past all the racks of timber and forklifts buying a length of wood.

God knows how many nails, staples etc., could have been lying on the floor.

I know it's been said before but the barefoot thing is something I can't get my head around.

At Bunnings yesterday and a guy in his fifties walking through the puddles into the trade area past all the racks of timber and forklifts buying a length of wood.

If you do that enough your feet toughen up and are as hard as shoe leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

I often wonder do they not worry about gettin verrucas when they're going around barefoot!!

Not really weird, but we just went to see Hangover 3 at the cinema.
    Start time was 18.50 the actual film didn't start until 19.15.
    Twenty five minutes of adverts and trailers, I mean c'mon.

• Advertisement

they do love their ads!!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Yeah ads in cinemas are crazy, always good if you're running late though! I find the TV ads painful. Same ads repeated over and over and over. Many a time I've found myself at work humming a jingle from some sh1te TV ad!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

Yeah, I find i've started randomly saying "Cash traaain" a lot in conversation!

eeeee offff usss, eeeee offff usss, da duss da duss..... its the best time ahhhfff the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I still find myself singing BUNNINGS WAAAREHOUSE even though I'm home 5 months.

Also, an ad in Perth, usually in he cinema for ifap.com.au always gave me a chuckle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

How they complain about foreigners and all their families were the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

Putting on ads after every score in an AFL match, as if watching AFL wasn't bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

I get a lot of people complaining to me about foreigners (Indians and Chinese) just after complimenting me on my Irish accent and telling me about how there father was from there they really don't seem to get the irony

Also ya the chocolate here sucks apparently the beer has something in it to keep it cooler as well but I can't tell the difference

The wierdest thing Aussies do is hook turns they just feel wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

nerd69 wrote: »
    I get a lot of people complaining to me about foreigners (Indians and Chinese) just after complimenting me on my Irish accent and telling me about how there father was from there they really don't seem to get the irony

Also ya the chocolate here sucks apparently the beer has something in it to keep it cooler as well but I can't tell the difference

+1 - but when I question it, the response is generally - "nah mate, you're one of us". I encounter lame attempts of humour on a daily basis in work and it is so rubbish I laugh out of sympathy!

I do wonder what the Indian and Chinese have to put up with on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

nerd69 wrote: »

I think hook turns are an excellent solution to the problem posed by tram lines. I would even go as far to say they should be more commonplace world over, how many times have you been caught behind a car that is impeded from turning right when you want to proceed straight ahead.

Advertisement