Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Putting on ads after every score in an AFL match, as if watching AFL wasn't bad enough.

Fox Footy solves that problem very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Not really weird, but we just went to see Hangover 3 at the cinema.
    Start time was 18.50 the actual film didn't start until 19.15.
    Twenty five minutes of adverts and trailers, I mean c'mon.

I friggin HATE their ads in the cinema. By the time the movie starts you've no popcorn left...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

danotroy wrote: »
    I think hook turns are an excellent solution to the problem posed by tram lines. I would even go as far to say they should be more commonplace world over, how many times have you been caught behind a car that is impeded from turning right when you want to proceed straight ahead.

Your dead right they are very handy they still feel wrong though

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

nerd69 wrote: »
    Your dead right they are very handy they still feel wrong though

Coming from a cyclists point of view they make so much sense, it feels so safe to do a hook turn. When I was in a car for the first time it was a bit unnatural.

Anyone else get fiddle de de potatoes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Workmates saying fu*king oath brah to me in work, getting used to the slang now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i've had diddle e aye potatoes thrown my direction from the missus' brother! He's a funny fella though.. There's only so many times you can throw back the convict joke which was never really witty to begin with, so i've got nothin' and and he gets away with it. Other than that, it's "your mate Ronan Keating.." at work when the Corrs are playing for the 6th time in an hour on mix 90's, or trying to mimick the accent. Oh, and apparently jimeoin is funny to them. That and Mrs. Brown..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Kiwi fella at work does the Potatoes Potatoes accent when I call him a sheep shagin bastard. Pretty lame tbh.

The misses brown thing is hilarious I love it when I meet an Asian with feck all English that says "you speak like mr brown" one of the little things that make me smile

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The misses brown thing is hilarious I love it when I meet an Asian with feck all English that says "you speak like mr brown" one of the little things that make me smile

That's funny.

At least you didn't have to explain the whole Irish Traveller culture after that big fat gypsy wedding program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My grandparents emigrated to Perth in 1970 - they both got arrested their first day - coming from a small village in rural Dublin/Meath, my grandmother first got done for jay walking (don't think she'd ever seen a traffic light) and my grandfather was cautioned for asking for 'rooting' powder (for the garden) but means something totally different over there.

When I was first there in 1979, my mam told my young cousin off for being bold and get something in the press - his sister had to tell my mam it was naughtly and cupboard.

Was also mystified about Manchester. Was in Target going 'what!'

For the girlies, they only do acrylic nails with drills, not gel

Last time I was there, most of family going to Mass but I wasn't going, so joined my uncles in the TAB adjoining the bar...wasn't served - I was a 39 year old woman!

Agree totally with you have to be married off by 22, my cousin was 25 and she was convinced was on the shelf.

Cinemas - where you get this 'Gold Class' thing where you get meals? Yuck.

Must say I found Melbourne totally different to Perth - city most like New York I was ever in!

No ability to buy fresh stuffing (Christmas 2011)...mind you, the water went on Christmas Eve and a plumber came out no problem (we had 22 for Christmas Day, and one toilet...), fixed it by 2pm and he wouldn't take any money as his mother would have killed him...

My cousin got engaged and I asked what his fiancee's name was off his dad (my uncle) -he hadn't a clue....well it doesn't matter, she'll take ours anyway...they've been going out six years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

amtc wrote: »
    My grandparents emigrated to Perth in 1970 - they both got arrested their first day - coming from a small village in rural Dublin/Meath, my grandmother first got done for jay walking (don't think she'd ever seen a traffic light) and my grandfather was cautioned for asking for 'rooting' powder (for the garden) but means something totally different over there.

When I was first there in 1979, my mam told my young cousin off for being bold and get something in the press - his sister had to tell my mam it was naughtly and cupboard.

Was also mystified about Manchester. Was in Target going 'what!'

For the girlies, they only do acrylic nails with drills, not gel

Last time I was there, most of family going to Mass but I wasn't going, so joined my uncles in the TAB adjoining the bar...wasn't served - I was a 39 year old woman!

Agree totally with you have to be married off by 22, my cousin was 25 and she was convinced was on the shelf.

Cinemas - where you get this 'Gold Class' thing where you get meals? Yuck.

Must say I found Melbourne totally different to Perth - city most like New York I was ever in!

No ability to buy fresh stuffing (Christmas 2011)...mind you, the water went on Christmas Eve and a plumber came out no problem (we had 22 for Christmas Day, and one toilet...), fixed it by 2pm and he wouldn't take any money as his mother would have killed him...

My cousin got engaged and I asked what his fiancee's name was off his dad (my uncle) -he hadn't a clue....well it doesn't matter, she'll take ours anyway...they've been going out six years!

melbourne is like new york?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

lufties wrote: »
    melbourne is like new york?
    Perhaps in comparison to Perth. Sometimes I feel there's more life in any small Irish recession hit town on a wet tuesday night in November than in the Perth at the weekend. It certainly felt more lively the time I was home.

Was out in Perth for after work drinks on Friday night, it was good fun but then once 9pm hit the bar just emptied. I'm sick of it! There just doesn't seem to be a relax with a few drinks scene, everyone is too busy either getting married, getting pregnant, getting into their overpriced cars, getting in debt, getting in their boats or onto the beach at 6am or getting in bed by 9.30!
    A few aussies in our group from the east coast were just as perplexed. Spontaneous fun seems like radical anarchy for most Perthians I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I think you find more activity in bars in the suburbs to be honest. Perth city is a pretty dead place, however there are a few places I like

catbear wrote: »
    Perhaps in comparison to Perth. Sometimes I feel there's more life in any small Irish recession hit town on a wet tuesday night in November than in the Perth at the weekend. It certainly felt more lively the time I was home.

Was out in Perth for after work drinks on Friday night, it was good fun but then once 9pm hit the bar just emptied. I'm sick of it! There just doesn't seem to be a relax with a few drinks scene, everyone is too busy either getting married, getting pregnant, getting into their overpriced cars, getting in debt, getting in their boats or onto the beach at 6am or getting in bed by 9.30!
    A few aussies in our group from the east coast were just as perplexed. Spontaneous fun seems like radical anarchy for most Perthians I know.

I lived in Perth for 6 months and did have a good time in fairness, ok the nightlife isn't superb but its not really a big city.

I always tried to stay away from northbridge ,but there is some decent places around..I always loved drinking a few pints of coopers red ale in bobby dazzlers with my ex on a sunday, just people watching. or just going to fibber magees where the guinness is pretty good. Perth can be cliquey though I noticed and can be hard to find some actual mates. I have the aussie permanent residency, but am happy living in East Asia for the moment, a lot more colourful and vibrant than Australia I reckon.

A good example of what our accent does for the sheila's down under. Poor girl never stood a chance:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

very good, a touch on the unprofessional side from poor oul tash.

what was the interview with the irish guy about?

The description under the video says he won 'Australia's six best job in the world', fair play to him if he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I heard about it over here, he gets the booby prize of wandering around the Northern Territory, the other 5 positions sounded far more attractive than it, but the money is good so who cares, will be something interesting for the CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

true enough:

Allan Dixon, 26, has won the job of outback adventurer in the Northern Territory. better the shoveling $hite all day and pissing away your earnings down in bondi/st kilda every weekend.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/dreams-come-true-for-lucky-six-chosen-for-best-jobs-in-the-world-20130621-2oo9n.html#ixzz2X16LSKrr

on a side note, my unprofessional reference is apparently obtuse, how good an insult is that!!

• Advertisement

Flipping aussies with their home improvements at 7.30am on a sunday morning, c*#ts!

ever notice the way 'unfortunately no' is the standard answer you get in australia when you're looking for something that may be of benefit to you

lufties wrote: »
    ever notice the way 'unfortunately no' is the standard answer you get in australia when you're looking for something that may be of benefit to you

catbear wrote: »

something like that...if in doubt say nooooo, probably cause they are tooo lazy to think..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

If a new series is starting or an event is taking place, they announce the date as July twenty five instead of July the twenty fifth.

Bloody odd these people.

Although I do chuckle at the term 'ranga' for the red heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

A bit similar to the above post

Anyone notice that in series on tv over here, every week we are told it is the moment we've all been waiting for....every week

Is the naming of after work drinks "knockoffs" an Australian thing? I cant remember what I called having a beer when I finished work back in UK/Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Is the naming of after work drinks "knockoffs" an Australian thing? I cant remember what I called having a beer when I finished work back in UK/Ireland.

Are you going "for one".

Zambia wrote: »
    Are you going "for one".

ah sure we'll head down for a quart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ah sure we'll head down for a quart.

Ah sure I will get you one back then we will head. ...

Advertisement