Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

anyone notice the way there is a fine/fee for bloody everything?

when i lived in australia i felt like i was being constantly ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

lufties wrote: »
    anyone notice the way there is a fine/fee for bloody everything?

when i lived in australia i felt like i was being constantly ripped off.

So it's been a while since you lived in Ireland I take it? :rolleyes:

At least in Ireland you don't feel like you're being charged for everything, its just taken as a given theses days, a new week brings a new charge/fine/fee/tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

The Aussie wrote: »
    So it's been a while since you lived in Ireland I take it? :rolleyes:

At least in Ireland you don't feel like you're being charged for everything, its just taken as a given theses days, a new week brings a new charge/fine/fee/tax.

don't worry i wouldn't live in ireland now either, thats even worse than the nanny state you are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Slidey wrote: »
    Calling a Consaw a "quick cut"

I'd give them a bit of this the next time they called it a "quick cut"

A Consaw is a concrete saw, the words concrete and saw are both nouns ie they are words used to identify any of a class of people, places, or things.

The word quick is an adjective an example of which would be "Moving fast or doing something in a short time" adjectives are used to describe a noun.

The word cut is a verb, verbs are doing words, verbs describe a physical action.

Now do you see how retarded you seem when you call that piece of equipment a "quick cut" .......... then run away very fast before they bash you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

Here's a few I've got from living in the countryside for 2 years:

- They will never know what you mean if you ask one to get you a 'sliced pan' from the bakery

- Fair dinkum is a catchall for any question, ie. the plane was delayed for a day - fair dinkum

- Fair suck of the sauce bottle - is a saying

- If somebody is a dickhead they say 'he's a bit ordinary' - also can be used to to mean crap

- If somebody is said to be making a 'nuisance' of himself - it means he's the town drunk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ifeelill wrote: »
    I'd give them a bit of this the next time they called it a "quick cut"

A Consaw is a concrete saw, the words concrete and saw are both nouns ie they are words used to identify any of a class of people, places, or things.

The word quick is an adjective an example of which would be "Moving fast or doing something in a short time" adjectives are used to describe a noun.

The word cut is a verb, verbs are doing words, verbs describe a physical action.

Now do you see how retarded you seem when you call that piece of equipment a "quick cut" .......... then run away very fast before they bash you :pac:
    ????
    The word saw is a also a verb too.
    And cut can also be a noun too. Although in this instance it was probably shortened from "cutter"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Tom10 wrote: »
    Here's a few I've got from living in the countryside for 2 years:

- They will never know what you mean if you ask one to get you a 'sliced pan' from the bakery

- Fair dinkum is a catchall for any question, ie. the plane was delayed for a day - fair dinkum

- Fair suck of the sauce bottle - is a saying

- If somebody is a dickhead they say 'he's a bit ordinary' - also can be used to to mean crap

- If somebody is said to be making a 'nuisance' of himself - it means he's the town drunk.

you dont get fair dinkum very much outside Vic. i began to like it after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Tom10 wrote: »

This is an irish thing. I don't think its reasonable to think this is weird for aussies not to understand what you mean when use an irish cultural reference see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

c0rk3r wrote: »

They say cúnt alot.

Yes they do a looooooot biggest thing I noticed when I got here seems to be the one curse word not said casually however here it seems to be the go to word

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

nerd69 wrote: »
    Yes they do a looooooot biggest thing I noticed when I got here seems to be the one curse word not said casually however here it seems to be the go to word

It's pronounced Kant .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Zambia wrote: »
    It's pronounced Kant .

I thought it was a new word altogether strayakant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

They seem to 'rock up' to a lot of things.

'He rocked up to the car', 'She rocked up to the bottle shop', 'He rocked over to the fu@kin' kangaroo'.

c0rk3r wrote: »

I don't know why but I found that mildly amusing, and for the life of me I don't know why.

Maybe it was the Tony Abbott impersonation, I thought he nailed that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

They seem to 'rock up' to a lot of things.

'He rocked up to the car', 'She rocked up to the bottle shop', 'He rocked over to the fu@kin' kangaroo'.

I've started to use that.
    I was running late for a friends dinner thing, and I rang and he asked "How you travelling" to which I replied 'Train' he laughed as apparently this was some greeting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

What is it with Aussies spelling the word of as off. I see it the whole time written that way on construction documents!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What is it with Aussies spelling the word of as off. I see it the whole time written that way on construction documents!
    In construction documents 'off' indicates quantity. It's not used to replace of. This is used in Ireland and the UK also btw. It bugs me, but its industry standard.

It's should be used like;
    M5 Bolts (5 off),

But not like;
    5 off this and 6 off that

Mellor wrote: »
    In construction documents 'off' indicates quantity. It's not used to replace of. This is used in Ireland and the UK also btw. It bugs me, but its industry standard.

It's should be used like;
    M5 Bolts (5 off),

But not like;
    5 off this and 6 off that

Do you know I never realised that.......

20 years later :rolleyes:.

Must start paying more attention at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Wierd things that Aussies do.....

Wash it seems.

Just down Byron Bay for a short break and my God, a bar of soap wouldn't go amiss.

Popped up to Nimbin for curiosity and that place could do with a jet wash. And thst includes the locsls.

Soapdodgers the lot of them I say.

Having said that Byron Bay is lovely and the dancing hippie from Australia's Got Talent waved to me and I sh!t you not, coming out of a fish restaurant with five other robed monks was none other than the Dalai lama himself. He was visiting some spiritual centre near here. The Dalai Fukcin' Lama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Wierd things that Aussies do.....

Wash it seems.

Just down Byron Bay for a short break and my God, a bar of soap wouldn't go amiss.

Popped up to Nimbin for curiosity and that place could do with a jet wash. And thst includes the locsls.

Soapdodgers the lot of them I say.

Having said that Byron Bay is lovely and the dancing hippie from Australia's Got Talent waved to me and I sh!t you not, coming out of a fish restaurant with five other robed monks was none other than the Dalai lama himself. He was visiting some spiritual centre near here. The Dalai Fukcin' Lama.

unrelated to the thread but he pops up in the weirdest places, one of my house mates ran into him one day on way to college by the PEC in belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Advertisement