Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Funny, I don't recall this being a "what young drunken Irish tourists do on holidays" thread.

Back on topic, call everything footie or football. Except the one sport most of the world actually does.

For everyone banging on about Irish people sitting in their own bars and all that I know quite a few Irish lads regularly going to NRL games and take quite an interest. Even the State of Origin draws a big Irish crowd, loads of lads I know go to regular league games, been to a few myself, admission costs sod all money generally (bout 15 quid from memory). Prefer my football mind, but not a bad sport either.

Another funny thing as well which is probably the biggest showing of how laid back people approach things here- no matter how big a sporting event or concert/ festival may be, you can nearly always get tickets within the last few days. Compare that to Ireland, people queue up to buy Oxegen tickets on the morning as they usually sell out in hours. State of Origin is comparable to the All Ireland final yet you can usually get tickets for it up until the last day- the All Ireland sells out in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Another funny thing as well which is probably the biggest showing of how laid back people approach things here- no matter how big a sporting event or concert/ festival may be, you can nearly always get tickets within the last few days. Compare that to Ireland, people queue up to buy Oxegen tickets on the morning as they usually sell out in hours. State of Origin is comparable to the All Ireland final yet you can usually get tickets for it up until the last day- the All Ireland sells out in minutes.

Most music festivals sell out well in advance of the date.

The UFC 110 sold out in a few hours. Was the fastest ever, including Dublin.

I've no idea what Origin availability is like, but it strikes me more as a novelty to watch with mates rather than how serious the All-
    ireland can be. Whats the grand final like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

A few that spring to mind:

Wearing sunglasses on grey miserable days and even at night.

Middle aged Aussie blokes driving bright green boyracer ****ebuckets.

Middle aged Aussie blokes dressing head-to-toe in lycra for a 15 minute cycle to work, the view I have to put up on ride to work every morning is enough to make me chuck my breakfast at times :)

Using the word c#%t as a term of endearment.

Allowing Tony Abbott anywhere near
    political office.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Sundy wrote: »
    Ive found quite a few Aussies have no concept of a rounds system when drinking.

So if you buy an aussie a drink it doesnt mean you will get one back.

Oh hell yeh. The head chef in work is terrible for this! We'd be buying rounds and he'd never cough up. I'd say "Russell its your round!" and he'd be like "huh?" and hand me a $50 to buy the round.. some chap!

And the way they have to abbreviate everything! In work a Corona is a 'Corony', a Crown is a 'Crowny' and a Heiniken is flamin' 'Heiny'

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

The way they say we can't pronounce words correctly such as three etc. and then pronounce Saturday as "Satday".

• Advertisement

Anyone else noticed the way they pronounce "assume"
    Ashhume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

For a country with a decent government, pretty good public services, highly paid work easily available even to the unskilled, and summer for 9 months of the year, they do an unrivalled amount of moaning about how bad things apparently are. The cost of this is going up, the boat people are taking over, despite the pretty good road network across Sydney the occasional traffic jam is too much for them- you never hear the end of it. Even in the days of the Celtic Tiger our health service was sh1t, business advancement often depended more on who you knew in FF local councils than what you knew, average wages were still comparitively sh1t compared to the cost of living/ housing, and our weather was mostly miserable- so yes, at least in our good times we actually had something to moan about. :pac: Australia has it all and still demands more.

They moan about the so called "cold" quite a bit. Sorry love, but 15 degrees and bright sunny glistening sunshine is not "cold", so take off the eskimo jacket and stop complaining! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Here's one thats both Irish and Aussie I guess.

When Irish people say couple, they mean a few or a bit more eg can I get a couple more chips there please?

When Aussie people here couple, they think two eg in response to the request for a couple more chips, they place two more on the plate.

Very funny and strange at the same time.

Also, never and I mean never, ask a policeman who has stopped you at a patrol stop "well officer, any craic?" ... not all understand what your asking them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jackbhoy wrote: »

not so much. they're generally either Commodores or Falcon and are seriously nice cars. 3.6L V6 or 4L flat 6, rwd, big, powerful, gaudy colours. God I want one...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

I think the standard of Radio here is terrible compared to back home.

I like the cars tho have a 2010 SV6 and im in love with it i'll bring it with me when i go back home haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Breakfast radio is terrible. Most stations have 2 guys with wacky names (ie. Carmen, Blackers & Fitzy) and a ditzy girl to make up their crew.

And then most of the show is made up of 'call us and tell us about a time when you....'

• Registered Users Posts: 35 minsbarron

Avacado & Eggplant. What is with the fascination? And Dim Sims. Strange....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Barbecue sauce on everything....
    The last thing bacon and eggs need is F***ing barbecue sauce........Maaaaate

minsbarron wrote: »
    Avacado & Eggplant. What is with the fascination? And Dim Sims. Strange....

calling it eggplant...

I had to look up what an eggplant was!

Seriously weird when an Aussie refers to the Police using "Capsicum Spray". Laughed my ass off at that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I hate the way they use slang on the news. And the word "bashed", wtf is that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

And Dim Sims. Strange....

what? dim sims are awesome!!!

anyway, on the subject of weird ways aussies say sh!t, it bugs the crap out of me how they say numbers. Like if something is $599, they'll say five-ninetynine. Or for June 16th, they say june sixteen!
    CiaranC wrote: »
    I hate the way they use slang on the news. And the word "bashed", wtf is that
    The news headlines always remind me of SIM city :D
    Maaaaate
    Haaaaeeeeeeeey!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

The word 'grouse' to mean great.

Took me a while to realise it was a positive adjective and nothing to do with 'gross'. I thought I worked with a stupidly negative bunch of people for the first while.

Seriously weird when an Aussie refers to the Police using "Capsicum Spray". Laughed my ass off at that one!
    Why?
    That's what it is, the active ingredient is capsaicin, the spice from from chillis, bell peppers etc.
    Or for June 16th, they say june sixteen!
    I hate that one. I've mentioned it before to house mates when it happened on the telly and they didn't notice. i was starting to thing it was me.

another one..

more wonderful than weird, drive through bottle shops.
    more weirdly natural, calling them bottle shops instead of off licenses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Assuming you want that rubbish chicken salt when you want normal (fair enough is normally Asian and Arab staff, but they are so used to Aussies aversion to real salt they reckon you want the other cack)

Assuming you want that rubbish chicken salt when you want normal (fair enough is normally Asian and Arab staff, but they are so used to Aussies aversion to real salt they reckon you want the other cack)
    Related one.
    I don't really care between chicken salt and normal, but the fact that chips comes destroyed in salt as standard in a lot of places annoys me. How hard is is to ask if you want salt.

Also, the scarcity of vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

the pulling in of ones head, when one has overstepped the mark !
    and its associated instruction
    Pullyafackineadinmate

Mellor wrote: »
    the fact that chips comes destroyed in salt as standard in a lot of places annoys me.

HAH! and i thought i was the only one! :D none of the aussies i say this to seem to notice everything's caked in salt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

They even put salt on their eskimo pie! Well the fùcken bogans i knew, did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

not so much. they're generally either Commodores or Falcon and are seriously nice cars. 3.6L V6 or 4L flat 6, rwd, big, powerful, gaudy colours. God I want one...

They are exactly what I was talking about, its the luminous snot colour that gets me most though. I can't help but smile at these lads at traffic lights and think "how small is your manhood that you need to overcompensate to that degree" ;)

Yes, fondness for salt, can't say I've noticed this when eating out over here, NOT. Don't know how restaurants get away with it. I've been tempted to send some food back. Don't have the bottle to though, despite the fact I'm paying a bomb for it.

I've been tempted to send some food back. Don't have the bottle to though,

toughen up princess! :pac:

Mellor wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement

They are exactly what I was talking about, its the luminous snot colour that gets me most though. I can't help but smile at these lads at traffic lights and think "how small is your manhood that you need to overcompensate to that degree" ;)

most popular selling car in NZ is the commodore. Lots of people must be compensating...

Advertisement