Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

luttle ducks

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

beetroot and pineapple on burgers.... rank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

This morning in Perth at about 9.30 I saw some cyclists having a coffee. Over dressed would describe then nicely. Helmet, riding cap, snood, long sleeve thermal tops and leggings under full cycle gear and to top it off shoe covers.

Perfectly normal for a winters day you say? Yes, other than it was about 12 degrees C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Also the Ford Falcon station wagon.

Why are they so popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

How things are described s "there nothing more Aussie than......"

Example on Radio at the moment

"there's nothing more Aussie than supporting your local sports team"

I'm glad I finally found out the reason why I go to watch Carlow in Jan in the O Byrne cup when it's actually COLD!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Claasman wrote: »
    beetroot and pineapple on burgers.... rank

+1,

but, then you also have this..

http://www.kfc.com/doubledown/

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

+1,

I've tried one, also rank

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sundy wrote: »
    This morning in Perth at about 9.30 I saw some cyclists having a coffee. Over dressed would describe then nicely. Helmet, riding cap, snood, long sleeve thermal tops and leggings under full cycle gear and to top it off shoe covers.

Perfectly normal for a winters day you say? Yes, other than it was about 12 degrees C

When you've been living here for a good while 12 degrees is chilly enough with not a cloud in the sky. Even at that, they could have left the house earlier like I did when it was 4 degrees at 7.30am.

I wear long sleeve under armour for football training at this time of year, it's cold.

call their cars chariots ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Sundy wrote: »
    Also the Ford Falcon station wagon.

Why are they so popular?

Very popular amongst taxi drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

In some of the good Australian pubs that have beer gardens near where we're living, you have to cook your own food on the barbecue! It drives me mad- I like to get my food handed to me when Im out, not friggin cook it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

putting an egg and beetroot onto something and calling it an Ozzie burger/ Pizza / Parma / Anything. How dose this make it Ozzie? Whats typicality Australian about eggs or beetroot?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's not an Australian thing. And its prob lower in calories, higher in protein than other burgers.
    Doc wrote: »
    putting an egg and beetroot onto something and calling it an Ozzie burger/ Pizza / Parma / Anything. How dose this make it Ozzie? Whats typicality Australian about eggs or beetroot?:confused:

The fact that they put them on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I found the "How ya going?" weird, someone in work walks by and says how ya going! I feel like i should stop up for a chat or something. Just sounds like bad english.
    If you said it to anyone else they would say what do you mean,by bike,by car! You mean how am i getting there? Weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Mellor wrote: »
    That's not an Australian thing. And its prob lower in calories, higher in protein than other burgers.

maybe, but i've not seen them anywhere else. Anyway, it's bacon wrapped in chicken. Who cares about the calories, or lack thereof?

thats the go !

The double is a KFC staple in the States and was only brought to Oz for a short time last year, then again for two days a few weeks back. Had one and it was delicious, as well as being less in calories than your average KFC burger.

maybe, but i've not seen them anywhere else. Anyway, it's bacon wrapped in chicken. Who cares about the calories, or lack thereof?
    Anybody interested sports/fitness/etc know at least a bit about nutrition. But, not really the point I was making. The media go mad for things like that.
    "2 fillets, bacon, cheese, blah blah blah, ZOMG ... 450 cals, eating this could kill you, yada yada"

But they don't give the numbers it any context. Which is pretty stupid.

Anyway, a bit side tracked. Carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The double is a KFC staple in the States and was only brought to Oz for a short time last year, then again for two days a few weeks back. Had one and it was delicious, as well as being less in calories than your average KFC burger.

It's pretty much got nearly the most calories of anything on the KFC menu, but yep, getting a tad sidetracked.

That's the US menu (portions are bigger), and its missing the regular burgers, only has snack burgers and wraps.

The regular aussie double down was about 1950kJ (465 cals), compare to 2550kJ (605cals) for a tower burger. I'm pretty strict on my diet, but went to KFC for a cheat meal/refeed a while ago, and figured the double down was the best option, the numbers are from memory but its there abouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Tonight on 7 news....Another out of control house party:D

rightyabe wrote: »
    Tonight on 7 news....Another out of control house party:D

Pfft, probably a poor man's Project X Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

LH Pathe wrote: »
    They even put salt on their eskimo pie! Well the fùcken bogans i knew, did

Another one- not realising what a bogan actually is.

A few years back there was a shooting in Kings Cross, at which an attractive, if slightly thick, North Shore girl made up a bit of a non PC account of the shooting in order to get on tv, and was known as the Kings Cross Bogan and becae a bit of a celebrity after it.

FFS, she was a D4 transplant. A bogan, in my view, is the skanger equivalent. Convict descent (British- our political prisoners were a different breed :) ), lives off Centrelink, semi literate, lives out West, has that look that you know they are on ice, moans about the cost of living and the boat people even though they could get a 60 grand a year job by taking a 3 day forklift course, a complete aversion to going more than 30k from their home area, Southern Cross tatoo and a wifebeater vest, that is a bogan. Most of them are quite frankly feral mutants who feel the world owes them a living. I worked on a farm up north where this bunch of wasters were sent 2 days a week to pretty much show up and partly justify their benefits, a sort of dole for work type scheme. They were nearly as awful as our travellers back home.

How a thick but hot girl from a posh suburb gets judged a bogan shows the Aussies dont even know what a bogan is.:confused:

I think bogan is a very general term. I consider it to stereotypical lower class people or behaviour, not just junkies on ice etc.
    You often hear those fake celebrity types from reality TV shows referring to themselves as bogans, despite the fact they are loaded due to footballer husband or whatever.

Exit: I remember that shooting too. Don't remember the media calling her kings cross bogan or if she was posh or anything. All I remember was "chk chk Boom!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Mellor wrote: »
    I think bogan is a very general term. I consider it to stereotypical lower class people or behaviour, not just junkies on ice etc.
    You often hear those fake celebrity types from reality TV shows referring to themselves as bogans, despite the fact they are loaded due to footballer husband or whatever.

Exit: I remember that shooting too. Don't remember the media calling her kings cross bogan or if she was posh or anything. All I remember was "chk chk Boom!"

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kings+cross+bogan&oq=kings+cross+bogan&gs_l=youtube-reduced.3..0.8023046.8027724.0.8028557.23.16.0.0.0.0.434.1649.1j3j1j0j2.8.0...0.0...1ac.l-scQeeUX2s

All results :) She is thick granted but she is as much of a bogan as dopey bird from Foxrock is a skanger. Bogan/skanger demands certain attitude, clothing, look etc etc. She actually looks quite classy- just thick as 10 planks.

I think Bogans are all about the attitude.
    Doesn't matter where they happen to be there are plenty of them in QLD too, living in the burbs, cruising around bludging off the system having a whine about immigrants, knocking out kids to keep the centrelink money flowing, they are usually a bit volatile (probably due to the chip on the shoulder) and will arc up about anything, fire out c bombs and fisticuffs after a few stubbies and then have a bit of a whine about their poor lives to anyone that listens. I did door to door sales (shortest job of my life at 7 days) and I met some complete & total dropkicks. Meanwhile living right next door to these dregs are completely normal nice people, doing it tough, but still having a positive friendly attitude and good manners.... I know its hard not to just pull out a big bucket of tar and a massive brush, but when you actually go to the suburbs with the reputations its still a minority of people dragging the place down.
    Sound familiar...Tallaght, Finglas......Logan, Blacktown. Its the same the world over

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Weird. The bogans I know in Wellington arent trashy just more like old rockers were in Ireland. You know long or scruffy hair, some kind of faicial hair, some kind of music tshirt or dark clothing and maybe some kind of badly modified banger car. Some are quite proud to call themselves bogans but they never come across as the Aussie types you're all talking about. Maybe Kiwi bogans are more refined somehow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Amazon32

The way they raise they're voice at the end of each sentence like its a question when its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Cycling on the Freeway, not weird just insane.

• Advertisement

Actually a weird one for me is sports highlights and not showing a game's events in chronological order, i.e. they'll show the winning goal at the start of the report and then other less meaningful extracts afterwards broken up with comment from post match press conferences.

Advertisement