Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weird things aussies do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Not showing any international sport on the TV unless Australia are in it. Not showing any on the new unless Australia win or loses unexpectedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Pfft, probably a poor man's Project X Cavan

ok i had to look that one up..
    what. the. feck.!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I find the shortening of names and words a little weird, took me ages to figure out what some Aussies were talking about.

Rego, subbies, sunnies, lappies, Simo, Robbo. Then again I suppose its no different to Anto and Deco in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Call damage repairs "Smash Repairs"

All accidents are not necessarily a "smash" so why call it a smash! So gently tippy your car into a pole and denting your bumper or breaking your light is a smash ... just sounds so dramatic!

Fare dodging on Buses and Trains... every day I see one example of a person who's ticket beeps loudly on the bus and they walk on or someone tailgating in the Train Station. Not weird, just more rampant!

Have to say, I love seeing the Transit Police around at the Light going off and seeking tight arses getting caught with the student tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Only thing I can think of at the moment is people standing on the path waiting for the pedestrian lights to go green when there isn't a car is sight for miles.

..oh - and pronouncing the 'er' in certain french words which are commonly used in english like the english version - pret a port-ER, or cinema foy-ER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

kdevitt wrote: »
    Only thing I can think of at the moment is people standing on the path waiting for the pedestrian lights to go green when there isn't a car is sight for miles.

This happens because if you get caught crossing a red light you get a fine for around 200 dollars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Put Pineapple in burgers...disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

s.c wrote: »
    This happens because if you get caught crossing a red light you get a fine for around 200 dollars.

Right, I'll amend it so

Only thing I can think of at the moment is people standing on the path waiting for the pedestrian lights to go green when there isn't a car, or anyone who could possibly try and fine you for crossing on a red, in sight for miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SylviaOneill

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Eat this crap -

vegemite455.jpg

Yuck! I hate this stuff, this is the worst thing you can find in your plate!

logo maker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I think these are pretty Weird and Wonderfull

enhanced-buzz-2057-1340325403-7.jpg

Other ones

enhanced-buzz-3256-1340325279-3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Omg - i can't believe those signs! That's not weird, that's embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Live in a country thats constantly trying to kill them?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Scented toilet roll, even Coles cheap stuff has a smell :confused:

Also the cost of pets, I have to laugh when I see someone trying to sell rescue cats for $150, and small dogs cost more than cars here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Zambia wrote: »
    I think these are pretty Weird and Wonderfull

enhanced-buzz-2057-1340325403-7.jpg

Other ones

enhanced-buzz-3256-1340325279-3.jpg

I'm guessing they're a piss take of more serious ads? But if they're real they are outstanding :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mel.b wrote: »
    Omg - i can't believe those signs! That's not weird, that's embarrassing.
    lol, They aren't real. Don't believe everything you see on the net.

The proper one isn't nearly as interesting.
    queensland-rail_train-etiquette_jim.pdf

Here's the background;
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/queensland-rail-etiquette-posters
    In September of 2011, Queensland Rail[1] launched a series of public service announcement posters to educate passengers about inappropriate behaviors commonly reported by the commuters. On March 28th, 2012, Queensland Rail launched a web application[4] that allowed users to make their own etiquette posters with custom text and share the finished image on social media websites.

lol - wtf did they think would happen.

Love this one;

f39.jpg

Scented toilet roll, even Coles cheap stuff has a smell :confused:

Also the cost of pets, I have to laugh when I see someone trying to sell rescue cats for $150, and small dogs cost more than cars here.

I paid about 140 For a rescue kitten from Lort Smith a few years ago as the wife wanted a cat.

A few weeks later the wife found a cat and rescued it. It was about 8 weeks old . It was feral and a wee bit Pathetic. Long story short after it was spaded , microchipped seen by the vet and checked over. That kitten cost me 350 bucks.

Give me 140 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

zweton wrote: »
    I found the "How ya going?" weird, someone in work walks by and says how ya going! I feel like i should stop up for a chat or something. Just sounds like bad english.
    If you said it to anyone else they would say what do you mean,by bike,by car! You mean how am i getting there? Weird!

Far out! How's it going can be equally as confusing to someone unfamiliar with the phrase

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mellor wrote: »
    Why?
    That's what it is, the active ingredient is capsaicin, the spice from from chillis, bell peppers etc.

Peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote: »
    Why?
    That's what it is, the active ingredient is capsaicin, the spice from from chillis, bell peppers etc.

Peppers.
    Peppers is pretty general. Labels/recipes in ireland often specifically say Bell. I suppose to distinguish from sweet peppers or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Had a good laugh reading this thread especially the train posters. Can't believe no one has mentioned the different meanings for the words route and router between Australia and Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

daveg wrote: »
    Had a good laugh reading this thread especially the train posters. Can't believe no one has mentioned the different meanings for the words route and router between Australia and Ireland.
    I got a strange look before when I said 'I'll just have a root around, be back in a few mins'.
    Also anyone ever been to Easter show? All they talk about are show bags, and told me to try some hot dog in some horrible coating

292381_246370628799874_581443933_n.jpg

All because Ford seems to design their Speedometers to be a little over.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

hussey wrote: »
    I got a strange look before when I said 'I'll just have a root around, be back in a few mins'.
    Also anyone ever been to Easter show? All they talk about are show bags, and told me to try some hot dog in some horrible coating

Dagwood Dog. Yuck

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

love talking about drop bears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Whats a Drop Bear???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Can't believe no one has mentioned the different meanings for the words route and router between Australia and Ireland.

Any chance of enlightening the unenlightened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Can't believe no one has mentioned the different meanings for the words route and router between Australia and Ireland.

Any chance of enlightening the unenlightened?

Root is Aussie equivalent of ride or shag....

The Aussie wrote: »
    Whats a Drop Bear???
    They are vicious though

The Aussie wrote: »
    Whats a Drop Bear???
    Koalas that attack people, usually attracted to hair so they drop out of trees and bite and scrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

the lack of footwear! i thought it was just an aussie backpacker thing but as soon as i got to Oz i realised it was a national pasttime

saying 'sweet as....' or 'its cheap as.......' 'its easy as...........' sweet as what!? cheap as what!? Easy as what!?

they consider going travelling as visiting perth or darwin!!!! i said i was travelling the world. they said, iv travelled before. 'oh yeah where?' Darwin. doesnt count if you stay in the same country pal!

CAPSICUM! hahahahaahahhah

drink driving. They are always at it. like literally drink diriving! you stop at a traffic light and you can be gaurenteed to look around you and the guy sitting beside you at the lights will be downing a beer! while in the drivers seat.

When we had house parties, the aussies would drive. they would calculate how long the drive took by the amount of beers they had. 'aw mate it quick as, only took me two beers to get here' NUTS

I was also asked in a job interview if being in the IRA was scary - i have previous experience in the Irish Defence force. this happened twice!

Advertisement